Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Well to be honest hardly anyone is posting and there is still a wall of rules.

I think its off putting.

Maybe this would be better

1. Theme for challenge
2. Post your own work
3. Try and post work produced within the challenge period. (not a golden rule.

My reason behind my number 3 is : its not always possible (I'm a full time dad) to get out and shot even within the 2 week period. Discussion on other on-topic work produced before the challenge dates is just as valid and just as useful.

I think the thing that separates this thread is the theme, and C&C. Other threads either have a theme or have C&C - you have both.

I have supported the thread as I think it's a great idea but as it stands - not much is happening.

I tend to agree with most of what Chappers has to say. I don't think the rules are really what's putting folks off, though. People tend to get set in their ways and post to Weekly Contest or POTD. This thread and the Best Point and Shoot gives people like me who are short on hot glass and such a place to post photos and grow in skills.

The short form proposed has it's advantages in allowing limited back-dating. The last Fortnight here in Washington State has been one of record heat, and I only got out once or twice.

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I think the rules are off putting - and some bits are quite negative "If you post pictures you have taken in the past, you only cheat yourself. " (sorry)

I really like the concept and idea of this thread. The weekly contest lacks any real C&C (except sometimes from the winner - I commented on every entry but not everyone does). The POTD also is difficult to get C&C on - where as here there is encouraged C&C and I like that.

So maybe

1. Theme for challenge
2. Post your own work
3. Try and post work produced within the challenge period. (not a golden rule)
4. C&C actively encouraged.

And maybe those of us who come here can drop hints on other threads we visit.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I say we go with the guidelines (no longer rules) that Chappers suggests. I think this forum has more to offer now that the judges in the weekly contest are offering so little C&C. Of the 3 (this, FOTW, and FOTD) I am definately enjoying this one the most.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
That works for me. When I post the next challenge on Tuesday, I'll use the new idea (rules) and we'll see what happens. Anyone else want to give input on the exact wording of the rules?

John

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
How about a C&C "required" type of language? Something along the lines of "you post you also C&C?" This is by far the strongest thread on the site for this kind of activity. The weekly contest is hit and miss and POTD is it's own special little animal.

Just dont want to see this thread fade into obscurity...

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
540318927_xn2vV-L.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I think we should encourage - not insist on C&C - we can even encourage on the thread itself as it happens.

This can be a great thread - lets spread that word - as deep diver already has been doing.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Seems like an interesting thread idea, I'll give it a go…a bit late…

imgp64392.jpg

13 + 21 + 31 = 65mm worth of manual extension tube.
f/1.4, 1/90s, ISO400

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Just noticed this discussion and am inclined to chime in. I'm glad that future "challenge" threads will allow the submission of older images. I think that "option" is partly what has made the contest and daily threads so successful. Taking a photo is only one part of growing as a photographer. Sorting through a batch of photos and identifying strengths and weaknesses in them is another important skill to develop.

As for encouraging C&C: if you require it, you're likely to discourage some people from posting, especially folks who are new to photography and aren't quite sure what to say. So it's probably best to leave it at encouragement and not make it a requisite for posting photos.

So perhaps something like: "You are highly encouraged to give comments and to critique images in the current thread if you submit images."

And it wouldn't hurt to add something like: "Even if you do not submit an image to this thread, your comments and critiques are very welcome."

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Phrasiklia wording is spot on. Both Phras and Chappers make perfectly compelling points against the more heavy-handed approach I suggested :D

The shot is an old one of a Camel Sopwith engine (biplane from WWI).
Shot wide open (2.8) for the shallow DOF from a Nikkor 70-200 / D3.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Max -- another great shot from you. Initially I was disturbed by the out of focus area in front and wanted to see this cropped more tightly (my own style). I also felt it is a little dark. But then I decided just to take in what you composed. That out of focus area became another textural component and the dark shading made me look that much harder for what is in the shadows. I think I liked not knowing what it is as this let my imagination play a bigger role in my exploration of the image. Outstanding job.

TheReef -- What are we looking at?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.