Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Fortnightly Challenge - June 27 thru July 10

Challenge topic(s): Symmetrical and/or Asymmetrical framing

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM July 10

Be sure to visit and post your images in our Flickr group.

Rules:
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.

Lets have fun!!!

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Just getting a couple quick shots up to have some pictures in this thread.

Taken last night at the drive-in waiting for the movies to start. Came straight off the phone with only cropping done afterwards to clean up the edges. Wish I had my dslr with me for the first one, would love to have a high quality and crisp shot of that.

p.s. The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM June 10 July 10

Attachments

• DriveinOne.jpg
    DriveinOne.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 109
  • DriveinTwo.jpg
    DriveinTwo.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
A little symmetrical grass cutting. Washington State Fruit Commission. Yakima, Washington.

fruitcommission2.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/320s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 2.8@28mm

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Time for a guessing game. This has more light on the left, but the dark on the right is fairly heavy. Is it symmetrical or asymmetrical and why do you think so?

ducksinwater1.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/320s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 2.8@75mm

Dale

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Just getting a couple quick shots up to have some pictures in this thread.

Taken last night at the drive-in waiting for the movies to start. Came straight off the phone with only cropping done afterwards to clean up the edges. Wish I had my dslr with me for the first one, would love to have a high quality and crisp shot of that.

p.s. The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM June 10 July 10

The colors in the second one are nice. Can't expect too much out of the phone though.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Time for a guessing game. This has more light on the left, but the dark on the right is fairly heavy. Is it symmetrical or asymmetrical and why do you think so?

ducksinwater1.jpg

Dale

Dale, either way...I'm not feeling this one :confused:

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Can't remember the name of the place right now. It's where Marie Antoinette was held before she was beheaded.

p944376522-4.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Asymmetrical flight

^Nice take on the topic. These pilots have a grip in symmetry that we will never come close to. I have always wondered how you got the high angle for this. Were you in the air, too?

Can't remember the name of the place right now. It's where Marie Antoinette was held before she was beheaded.

p944376522-4.jpg
^Black and white works well with this photo. Something is just a bit off with the vertical lines here and I can't really pin it down. Did you square the vertical lines of the pillar in post? I know it's hard to get this just right. Nice contribution.

suvarnabhumi-departure.jpg

I took this a few years ago but it does fit the topic pretty well.
^ Excellent example of symmetrical framing. I like the colors and vantage point that this is taken from.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

ducksinwater1.jpg

Dale

The picture itself doesn't do a whole lot for me, but I'll have a go at the challenge. This, of course, all depends on how you define symmetry.

Because of the reflection at the top of the frame, there is about an even split between the water and the foliage (including reflection.). Two ducks bottom right and two ducks top left. The grass, which is the only foliage actually visible, and its reflection. There is of course asymmetry in the shape and framing of the "shore line."

I see three possibilities regarding the light.
1. Asymmetrical because it's dark on one side as opposed to the other.
2. Symmetrical because of some design rule related to the gradation of the light.
3. You threw in the light comment as a detractor and the lighting is, in fact, irrelevant.

How did I do?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The picture itself doesn't do a whole lot for me, but I'll have a go at the challenge. This, of course, all depends on how you define symmetry.

Because of the reflection at the top of the frame, there is about an even split between the water and the foliage (including reflection.). Two ducks bottom right and two ducks top left. The grass, which is the only foliage actually visible, and its reflection. There is of course asymmetry in the shape and framing of the "shore line."

I see three possibilities regarding the light.
1. Asymmetrical because it's dark on one side as opposed to the other.
2. Symmetrical because of some design rule related to the gradation of the light.
3. You threw in the light comment as a detractor and the lighting is, in fact, irrelevant.

How did I do?
^^ You did pretty well. Look here for your grade.

The image is nothing special, but I wanted to get someone to think about symmetry as something other than comparing two halves of a frame in terms of geometry. To me, symmetry is all about balance. If the image is heavy on one side with subject, then I call it asymmetrical. The same goes for lighting. If light balances out dark, then it is symmetrical. Every photo has some level of (a)symmetry to it. Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Dale

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
^Black and white works well with this photo. Something is just a bit off with the vertical lines here and I can't really pin it down. Did you square the vertical lines of the pillar in post? I know it's hard to get this just right. Nice contribution.

Dale

You're right. I've fiddled with this photo a bunch and it always seems off. I think at some point my eyes cross and I think it's right but then when I look at it again it's off again. I just installed Aperture 3 :eek: so maybe there's a magic button in it.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This is a section of a four part spandrel panel of terra cotta from the Stop and Shop Warehouse (formerly the Western Methodist Book Concern), 12-14 W. Washington Street, Chicago, IL. It was designed by Harry B. Wheelock (American, 1861-1934) c. 1899. The building was demolished in 1990. A spandrel is the triangular space between the left or right exterior curve of an arch and the rectangular framework surrounding it. Wheelock was a leader in raising the professional standards for architecture. He was a founder of the Illinois Society of Architects and a prime mover in the passage of the Architects' Registration Act in Illinois. He served on the State Board of Examiners of Architects for many years. He was a president of the Chicago Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and was one of the founders of the Chicago Architectural Club. He was the architect for the Moody Bible Institute and designed several public schools in Birmingham, AL that are now registered national landmarks. The graceful symmetry of this fragment is characteristic of many of Wheelock’s works.

The technical quality of the image is pretty poor. I was forced to shoot this in very low light without flash. It is in focus but there is a lot of motion blur. The thumbnail looks better than the full size image.

Attachments

• Spandrel-1 5x7.JPG
    Spandrel-1 5x7.JPG
    564 KB · Views: 82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.