Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Fortnightly Challenge - Oct 9 thru Oct 22

Challenge topic :
1) Foofaraw which means "Excessive or flashy ornamentation or decoration" & "a fuss over a matter of little importance".
2) Nocturnal (only because we may have trouble with Foofaraw)

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM Oct 22

Rules
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:

1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before (I'm going to make a big effort to do this with this challenge).
2. The challenge topic will be voted on by all members in a separate thread.

Lets have fun!!!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Does this mean I get a bonus point?

Attachments

• Decorations.jpg
    Decorations.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 94

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This really is nocturnal. I shot this in the Uplands on Maui after sunset but just before losing all light. (I needed my flashlight in less than 5 minutes after I took this). It was a long exposure, and I had no idea what would come out. I was very surprised when it looked like daylight.

Attachments

• tree-1.jpg
    tree-1.jpg
    923.6 KB · Views: 113

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
This beautiful Parisian building was spoilt by the foofaraw at street level.

But it makes the photo. The top of the building appears very much nocturnal: quiet, dark, and evocative of night. As I scrolled down, it revealed progressively more details, more light, and finally a "city that never sleeps" foofaraw at the bottom. Some of the impact is the scrolling for a progressive reveal, but it stands by itself, too. I'd definitely give this shot bonus points.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Well I hope someone else is going to join in.

The French have decided the huge number of lights on the Eiffel Tower are foofaraw and are going to reduce the amount because of global warming.

Attachments

• Eiffel.jpg
    Eiffel.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 91

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Well I hope someone else is going to join in.

The French have decided the huge number of lights on the Eiffel Tower are foofaraw and are going to reduce the amount because of global warming.

Perhaps if the French turn out some of those lights global warming will come to an end and we can go back to wasting our own power and overusing fossil fuels. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will submit as soon as I have something. I have dusk but not nocturnal (except for those pictures of my woods that I recently posted). I have lots of crap I haven't purged yet but nothing that qualifies as foofaraw. Be patient and I'll post something tacky.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Does this mean I get a bonus point?

This is nothing. My aunt and uncle lived in suburban Philadelphia. There was some kind of thing that started that beginning the day after Thanksgiving many folks tried to "out-foofaraw" one another. The place you shot wouldn't even make it into the "bottom 10."

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
This is nothing. My aunt and uncle lived in suburban Philadelphia. There was some kind of thing that started that beginning the day after Thanksgiving many folks tried to "out-foofaraw" one another. The place you shot wouldn't even make it into the "bottom 10."

Believe me this is not even bottom 10 back in the UK either but luckily we often have sensible laws that prevents too much foofaraw. It usually involves it being distracting and therefore unsafe for drivers. I'm so glad not to have to suffer this any more.

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
sziehr i love the vibrance of the neon sign.

Here's mine. A painted elephant taken a few years back in Jaipur.

Attachments

• paintedelephant.jpg
    paintedelephant.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 74

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Guess what this little guy said when they got him in this? Foofaraw?

Dale
Did he say "foofaraw" or did he leave the foofaraw behind. No matter......

sziehr -- this is a great photo.

mikshayne -- I really like this. I would like to see the entire tree (as a curiosity) but you did appeal to my preference for very tight cropping. :rolleyes:

Here is mine. This is my kid's room but the hat was one of my 40th birthday presents. It still reflects my attitude, 13 years later. I took this at about 9:30 this evening. Does it count for both themes?

Attachments

• DSC_5750-1200.jpg
    DSC_5750-1200.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 100

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
To a lonely female somewhere maybe its highly attractive. Hopefully she was nearby because he could well be eaten along with all his competitors who were also showing off their foofaraw.

Attachments

• Fooraraw.jpg
    Fooraraw.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 79

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
3994954873_3c74f78436_b.jpg

Here's my addition! Took this last week, it's 120 exposures blended together out my back door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.