Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
love the colors, great shot, how did you capture that shot?

300mm macro zoom lens. These crickets all change colour for their little mating party and hang around on this plant where they are quite exposed. I counted about thirty of them.

They were more difficult to photograph in a thicker bush a couple of weeks before.

Attachments

• Cricket.jpg
    Cricket.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 85

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
More bonus points given for both Foofaraw and nocturnal - good stuff. I would like to see a larger version but this is very interesting in an abstract way.

Thank you! Would you like to see a larger version...as in format, or that frames more area/not cropped?

I can either post a link to a file with a larger size, or see if I have any other shots of the tree.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Thank you! Would you like to see a larger version...as in format, or that frames more area/not cropped?

I can either post a link to a file with a larger size, or see if I have any other shots of the tree.

Lets see both - I love abstract type of things.

I also agree with you over jrm27's stars photo - very cool and left me asking question - good work jrm27.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
HOLY CRAP THIS IS COOL! I've seen plenty of time release photography....but this is very different! Thank you for sharing it with us!

It's my pleasure! I'm glad you like it and appreciate the kind words.

Fantastic work as always to everyone here. Chappers: excellent progression!

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Lets see both - I love abstract type of things.

I also agree with you over jrm27's stars photo - very cool and left me asking question - good work jrm27.

Here are some other shots from that trip....all which fit both themes to some extent. ;-)

Attachments

• DSC_3416.jpg
    DSC_3416.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_3145.jpg
    DSC_3145.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_3340.jpg
    DSC_3340.jpg
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_3406.jpg
    DSC_3406.jpg
    991.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_3410.jpg
    DSC_3410.jpg
    977.3 KB · Views: 71

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Here's one more - with the tower from a distance. I was on the roof of another skyscraper for this one.

Attachments

• DSC_3845.jpg
    DSC_3845.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 68

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Strictly nocturnal (unless Chappers considers a tripod to be foofaraw :rolleyes:).
:D:D:D

Interesting shot - I like the fact you've made flowers scary and haunted.

I think it would be good for you to post the woods shot again as an interesting comparison to the flowers.

mikshayne I think from a personal point of view I prefer the cropped tree decorations - you may prefer the memories version. Cool shots though. Love the city-scapes what camera do you use?
Love Tokyo tower from afar - looks like a Batman film.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Living on a mountain means weather can be interesting - this is 10 minutes of snow on the apricot tree outside my sons window. The orange is pure light pollution.

3313042941_c91952707e_b.jpg

9 minutes before the shot above the sky was purple and then more snow arrived. I love it - the sky went from purple to orange in a space of minutes.

Attachments

• Purple.jpg
    Purple.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 54

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
This was a lucky shot - my father-in-law insisted it was birds flying around us (yeah right).

Manual focus (guess distance), flash, point at sky and try to photograph flying object. Took only one photo.

2795751379_5cb6629f6f_o.jpg

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Chappers, I agree with you on the cropped version. In fact - I tend to prefer overly cropped images to create a little different look. I should have been more clear with the additional pics. The ones of the full tree were just so you could see what it was - along with it's location. Once I posted that I thought....why not post the ones of the tower itself. The street shot, the temple, and the entry to china town were the ones I considered posting for the challenge.

The mountain snow shot is great! The color makes this especially interesting.

I have a Nikon D300. I'd have to go back and check to see what lens I used. I bought a used 18-200 on that trip. I wish I could afford better glass. Everything I read tells me this would make such a difference...but since no one is paying me for me pics...havnt been able to justify the expense. Yet. ;-)
:D:D:D

Interesting shot - I like the fact you've made flowers scary and haunted.

I think it would be good for you to post the woods shot again as an interesting comparison to the flowers.

mikshayne I think from a personal point of view I prefer the cropped tree decorations - you may prefer the memories version. Cool shots though. Love the city-scapes what camera do you use?
Love Tokyo tower from afar - looks like a Batman film.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I keep wanting t tr this type of photograph and every time i see a good one (like yours) I feel the urge again. I am quite keen on cropping photos so I would lose the top left hand corner area but that personal choice.

Cool, clear and reminds me of at least three different cultures.

I should have been more clear with the additional pics. The ones of the full tree were just so you could see what it was - along with it's location.
Difficult choice though - crop the image to make art or keep the original memory - duplicate and keep both I say. Good stuff.
Once I posted that I thought....why not post the ones of the tower itself. The street shot, the temple, and the entry to china town were the ones I considered posting for the challenge.
They are great - glad you posted them - have that comic book feel and I like it.

The mountain snow shot is great! The color makes this especially interesting.
Light pollution is usually bad but that night it was very useful.

I have a Nikon D300. I'd have to go back and check to see what lens I used. I bought a used 18-200 on that trip. I wish I could afford better glass. Everything I read tells me this would make such a difference...but since no one is paying me for me pics...havnt been able to justify the expense. Yet. ;-)
Believe me I hear you.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Here are some other shots from that trip....all which fit both themes to some extent. ;-)

^^^Great shots. I like the one with the Rico tower the best. The only comment I have other than praise is to crop off that street light on the right. It is a bit distracting (if that is possible) ;) The Japanese really know how to do gaudy.

^^^One of the best "car light shots" I have ever seen. It really has a twisted dynamic to it. Love it.

^^^Do I need to repeat myself? The Japanese really know how to do gaudy! This has loads of great colors and nice framing. The exposure is well handled and it is technically good.

Excellent work from all involved in this Challenge. Keep it coming.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Excellent shot. What was the light source? Did you paint with a flashlight?

Dale

Thanks. I painted this with a single LED flashlight placed on the ground about 6 feet from the subject. It was about 11:00pm. There was no other intentional lighting and only a little light pollution (not enough to make a difference). I shot it with a Nikon D50 w/ the 18-200 lens. 31mm, f4.5, 3 second, ISO was either 800 or 1600 (can't remember).

mikshayne -- I really like the up-shot perspective on the temple and tower. I like the cropped verision of the tree more. Seeing the original, I think I'd like to see it cropped not quite so tightly but still including only the decorations. The city scape is very cool. Looks like something sci-fi (which could also be Japanese foofaraw).

Chappers -- I love the orange picture. It is very ominous looking. Very powerful.

doubleohseven -- you posted this for one of the weekly contests. I loved it then and I like it even more now. The bright sign on the left is a big distraction but it also adds to the mystery of this scene.

sleepypanda -- JUMBO, jumbo sign, jumbo foofaraw. This scene just might win the prize for being the most innately tacky.

Dale -- I really like this. I might have cropped out some of the stuff on the right to highlight the gearing. (Big surprise coming from me. Right? :D:D). Shooting through glass is always challenging. Was there another angle that would give you a good composition but show less reflection?

I don't know........... A lot of people give this lens a bad rap. I use mine exclusively and I love it. It is not very expensive professional glass but it is a very good lens and it has a great range. I've got no complaints about the lens and I've gotten no complaints about the quality of the images. BTW: that was an opinion, not a tirade. :D:D

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Here are the 2 tree images. I do like the side lit image better. The front lit one might not be great but I still like the low budget movie feel to it.

Attachments

• Spooky Woods 2a.jpg
    Spooky Woods 2a.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 59
  • * Spooky Woods 1-1000b.jpg
    * Spooky Woods 1-1000b.jpg
    738.4 KB · Views: 72

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Dale -- I really like this. I might have cropped out some of the stuff on the right to highlight the gearing. (Big surprise coming from me. Right? :D:D). Shooting through glass is always challenging. Was there another angle that would give you a good composition but show less reflection?

Like so ?:;):?

It's been raining. I may go down and see what it looks like now.

Dale

Attachments

• MachineThingcrop.jpg
    MachineThingcrop.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 64

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Here are the 2 tree images. I do like the side lit image better. The front lit one might not be great but I still like the low budget movie feel to it.

I agree on the side lit one - they are still both scary. I'm not keen on the woods in the day time - the night time is a no no.
So although this picture is very good - I don't want to go down to the woods. Clever stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.