Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Might not be the case for the OP, but I have a hunch that most peopleā€™s heat/drain issues have to do with the all of the stuff the phone is doing right after setup.

My 15 PM did get hot Friday evening when I was playing Minecraft with my kids. I played again yesterday for about the same amount of time and it got slightly warm but never hot.
Just about every phone Iā€™ve ever had gets warm to very hot during initial setup and for a short time thereafter while the phone does its background activities. I didnā€™t have anything unusual with my new 15PM. My location arrow is on constantly and has always been so as I have various apps-several weather apps, family location apps,etc.-that I have set for constant location activity. Never have had any battery impact or heating of phone because of this. Those issues are usually due to a specific app. Find that app and you can solve the issue.

Reactions: KurtWilde

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
Battery life with iOS 17 on my 14 Pro Max has definitely taken a hit. I donā€™t think this is a hardware issue; iOS 17 is just still buggy. Same reason I have yet to update my iPad.

I am hearing so many differing reports on this. My 14 pro max has been awesome on ios 17. Getting between 7-9 hours SOT only using about 50% of the battery

Reactions: DeadKlau5

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Just about every phone Iā€™ve ever had gets warm to very hot during initial setup and for a short time thereafter while the phone does its background activities. I didnā€™t have anything unusual with my new 15PM. My location arrow is on constantly and has always been so as I have various apps-several weather apps, family location apps,etc.-that I have set for constant location activity. Never have had any battery impact or heating of phone because of this. Those issues are usually due to a specific app. Find that app and you can solve the issue.
but do you have location used by SYSTEM settings at all times ?

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
My 15PM is great with iOS17. No overheating, battery is great. Will it get warm sometimes? Of course, as my 13P. It's not iOS, it's not a widespread problem. Apple needs to do nothing about it. If there are faulty units, they will be exchanged. But one should not alarm if the phone gets a bit warm when doing intensive tasks like calls or photo shooting. Scalding hot? Yeah that's one rare defective unit

Reactions: NickYanakiev

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
My 15PM is great with iOS17. No overheating, battery is great. Will it get warm sometimes? Of course, as my 13P. It's not iOS, it's not a widespread problem. Apple needs to do nothing about it. If there are faulty units, they will be exchanged. But one should not alarm if the phone gets a bit warm when doing intensive tasks like calls or photo shooting. Scalding hot? Yeah that's one rare defective unit

If your 15PM doesn't have this issue, how many FPS are you getting while playing Genshin Impact? Based on benchmarks that I have seen, the 15PM seems to perform nearly the same as the 14PM due to thermal throttling.

I believe I saw something like 58 FPS on the 15PM that was used in that test.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
My iphone 15 pm gets hot when i charge it....oh wait every single iphone i have ever owned gets hot when i charge it....im confused.

• Haha
Reactions: Basic75

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
If your 15PM doesn't have this issue, how many FPS are you getting while playing Genshin Impact? Based on benchmarks that I have seen, the 15PM seems to perform nearly the same as the 14PM due to thermal throttling.

I believe I saw something like 58 FPS on the 15PM that was used in that test.

I have no idea, never planned on playing anything on my phone. But I downloaded the game and played 10 minutes through the tutorial. Can't find where to show the fps. Was very smooth, and during that time it was barely warm. It's warmer when I take pictures, and even warmer when I charge it. I don't know how long it would take to overheat but I'm under the impression that it wouldn't become warmer than that. I would continue playing but it's not my kind of game and the screen is small to enjoy the experience. I only enjoy playing on my PS5

Planetjumper

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023
I got my iPhone 15 Pro (not Max) on Friday afternoon (22.9.23). I upgraded from an 4 years old iPhone 11 Pro.

I have some mixed feelings about all this. First of all, when buying a premium product for such a high price you would also expect premium quality. Having said that, itā€™s difficult to say whether weā€™re talking here about some hardware or software issues. The former would be rather serious, the latter can be 'easily' fixed via software updates.

In my case, I also wasnā€™t quite satisfied with the battery life at the beginning. I went through various forums and found several articles with exactly the same issue with the iPhone 14 Pro, such as this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254371223

Anyway, after 4 days, or to be more precise, since yesterday evening (CET time), it seems that the battery got a lot better. What have I done? Iā€™m not sure if this will help youā€¦
  • I usually restore my backup via iTunes (not cloud)
  • Background app refresh is turned off for almost all apps.
  • Standby is deactivated
  • Siri is deactivated
  • I checked for all apps if notifications are really needed
  • Use 5G Auto instead of 5G (or even 3G). 5G consumes a lot more energy than 3G or 4G
  • I also tried the following, which I guess really helped:
  • IMG_0253.jpeg
Maybe itā€™s a combination of all, maybe the ā€œindexingā€ is done by now, which is a normal process when installing a new iOS and restoring a lot of data from your backup (I had about 14T pictures). In any case, especially after following the last tip, my battery seemed to improve. I charged my phone yesterday or rather today at 01:50 AM to 100% (had to finish sth. for work) and now, at 10:14 PM in the evening my battery is at 62%, after texting, talking on phone about 50 min, listening to Spotify on my way to work and back, using Safari, Outlook and a bit Instagram. Iā€™m not playing on the phone. 62% at the end of the day, with moderate use, is OK for me.

btw. see also discussion here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255150683?answerId=259595417022#259595417022 Though Iā€™m only using Low Power Mode during night and Iā€™m also using the calendar, weather and news widget, i.e. I didnā€™t turn off all widgets as suggested in this post.

Last edited:

Planetjumper

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023
Update: Sinice yesterday 01:50 AM till now 7:35 AM my battery is at 57% (like always, I put my phone in low battery and sleep mode during night). It seems everything is fine for now.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I have all of my location services still switched on and I have no battery issues (15 pro)

I do normally switch most of them off but I've been lazy to research which I should keep on. I dont think I've even switched off frequent locations yet.

Wonder why only some people have battery drain issues.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I think a lot of it is just initial ā€œburn inā€ :)-reindexing large restores from old phone, battery optimization learning etc.

I used my 15Pro pretty heavily yesterday (Safari, Hulu, Spotify, social media) was only down to 52% from full charge at 6am to 10pm.

Iā€™m thinking a lot of the battery complaints with the 15 Pro calm down after a few days.

Saw this video directly comparing the 13/14/15 Pros. The 15 Pro won. It lasted 8 hours with heavy use.

yuletide

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
My iphone 15 pro still has trash battery life after a week. I havenā€™t noticed a ton of location services usage but will try disabling some of the many system service options and see if that helps but very unimpressed. Battery life is worse than my 5 year old iPhone 11 Pro with 70% battery health

Reactions: Misheemee

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
My iphone 15 pro still has trash battery life after a week. I havenā€™t noticed a ton of location services usage but will try disabling some of the many system service options and see if that helps but very unimpressed. Battery life is worse than my 5 year old iPhone 11 Pro with 70% battery health
I'm returning mine . 4.5H of screen on time does not suffice at all

• Wow

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
I think itā€™s iOS 17 issue, rather than a phone issue. After installing iOS 17 on my iPhone 13 Pro, it started getting quite hot sometimes. I found that closing Facebook and Instagram caused it to cool down quickly.

Not having much of a heat issue on my 15 Pro except for when I was downloading/restoring my backup data whole charging (phone got so hot, it informed me it would stop charging until it cooled off).

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
A stupid question. Did anyone of you with heat and battery issue tried to do a complete wipe of the phone and reinstall everything and see if that fixes it?

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
A stupid question. Did anyone of you with heat and battery issue tried to do a complete wipe of the phone and reinstall everything and see if that fixes it?

There have been some reports a full wipe and clean iOS and app install (not a transfer or from backup) fixed both the heating and battery issues.

But itā€™s all anecdotal at this point. Still early days.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I would try a complete wipe and dont restore from backup.

I'm getting 4h screen on from 50% battery on normal screen brightness. I don't recall it getting hot and it has been in a case since launch day.

I do switch off things like listen for Siri, background refresh, standby and screen always on is off. I also turned off some location services but they were all on until yesterday. I also have to run 1 app to always allow access to my precise location as my phone gets me into my car and I know that drains some battery.

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
Interesting. This is something I turn off during initial setup. I allow location for Find My and Maps, but thatā€™s it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.