Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
$699 for a phone with a 828p LCD display should be a crime.
I actually prefer LCD to OLED. The colors on my 12 PM look washed out next to my SE 2020 and the SE gets brighter. I know the PM has more nits but the 12 PM display isnt as bright to begin with. Not to mention the awful yellowish tint on every OLED iPhone Ive owned or seen. Just looking at them side by side on the main Google search page is crazy. Dont get that on the LCD, whites are crisp with no yellow tint. The OLED display is definitely sharper and text is clearer, but I still tend to favor the LCD overall.

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
Apple will introduce "ProMotion 2" on the iPhone 13 and tout it as the best screen in history, then charge $1400 for the base model with 64GB. And people will line up to buy it and sing its praises.

Reactions: Osamede

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
The reason I'd argue the mini is a little expensive is that the battery is so small. You're going to use so much of its capacity each day, and therefore wear it out much sooner. Unless you're an all day phone user, the 12 Pro Max is going to have a lot more battery left at end of day, thus many less cycles over the years, lasting longer.

I don't know if it's overpriced, but long term, knowing you're more likely to deal with the battery sooner is something to think about.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
the 12 Pro Max is going to have a lot more battery left at end of day, thus many less cycles over the years, lasting longer.
And costs $370 more than the mini. Seems like a lot to pay for a better battery.

The Mini is no more expensive, or overpriced, than any other iPhone.

I find it funny how some people say that the Mini is overpriced. It’s the cheapest OLED iPhone available.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2018
The 12 mini is physically smaller than the 6s... although having a bigger display

I think the UI is better since iPhone X, all these gestures feel more natural and effortless instead of buttons
I agree.

I never liked the new gestures (went from a 6 to an 11, then the 12 Pro Max) at first, but now they feel so natural.

It's like dealing a deck of cards, with all of the swiping :D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbareren

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
And costs $370 more than the mini. Seems like a lot to pay for a better battery.

The Mini is no more expensive, or overpriced, than any other iPhone.

I find it funny how some people say that the Mini is overpriced. It’s the cheapest OLED iPhone available.
You're completely right, I just know I have a phone that unless I send it in for a new battery has become useless in three years times. It would be hard to destroy a max battery that quickly.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
You're completely right, I just know I have a phone that unless I send it in for a new battery has become useless in three years times. It would be hard to destroy a max battery that quickly.

But you buy a phone based on your needs. If you're someone that's spends many hours a day consuming media/playing games then you won't be buying the Mini.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
But you buy a phone based on your needs. If you're someone that's spends many hours a day consuming media/playing games then you won't be buying the Mini.
And that's me. If, somehow, the battery capacity were to be reduced to an unusable level, a battery replacement is way more economical than splurging for an unneeded and unwanted overly huge Max.

Reactions: Barbareren

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
I went from an iPhone 6S to an iPhone11 ten days ago and have been very happy with it. The mini was tempting but at $699 compared to my used (mint condition) at $490, it was a no brainer. I like the size of the mini but am confident that I'll get used to the larger phone. I will admit that I remember the price of my 6S and spending twice as much for the latest version did not appeal to me, everyone has their own process when spending their money.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
And yeah the speaker quality is even flatter compared to my 6. Sure it got dual speakers but the quality us just flat. Not that I rely on to it for listening music or watching videos.
I don’t see how it could possibly be 'flatter', but anywho, I find the speakers to be really good (even better than my previous X and XS). I listen to podcasts from my home country for hours when I’m moving around the house (lock-down and all).
All these so called 'incremental' upgrades some of you keep talking about may not immediately be some kind of wow factor, but after some time you’ll start noticing how much all these 'incremental' changes help with the overall user experience (unless you’re an extremely light user, in which case you probably don’t need a high end phone anyway). Just last week a friend of mine spilled her drink all over my mini. I rinsed it off under the sink and a bit later it was good as new. Try that with a 6s.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
I don’t see how it could possibly be 'flatter', but anywho, I find the speakers to be really good (even better than my previous X and XS). I listen to podcasts from my home country for hours when I’m moving around the house (lock-down and all).
All these so called 'incremental' upgrades some of you keep talking about may not immediately be some kind of wow factor, but after some time you’ll start noticing how much all these 'incremental' changes help with the overall user experience (unless you’re an extremely light user, in which case you probably don’t need a high end phone anyway). Just last week a friend of mine spilled her drink all over my mini. I rinsed it off under the sink and a bit later it was good as new. Try that with a 6s.

Less bass effect is what I mean with “flatter” sound. This is very possible with tighter room inside that’s not possible for bigger components.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005

I just bought a mini today myself to use in bed and as a second phone. I'm certainly not a hater of it. Love it a bunch! It reconfirmed to me though, the max is the best for daytime for me. The screen is just so nice. These are all great though.

Reactions: MarkX and DexBell

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
I just bought a mini today myself to use in bed and as a second phone. I'm certainly not a hater of it. Love it a bunch! It reconfirmed to me though, the max is the best for daytime for me. The screen is just so nice. These are all great though.
I just got a Mini today too. I now have the Max, Mini and SE 2020. Its only been two hours but I already know which one Im keeping....the Mini. Been using the Max since launch day but Ive grown tired of it. Its just too big, heavy and awkward to use as my main device despite the amazing camera system. Love the SE but not crazy about the display and old school design. The Mini is perfect IMO. 95% of the goodness from the 12 Pro models, but in a much smaller, lighter and cheaper package.

I dont watch movies or play games on my phone. I just do calls, texts, emails, social media, light web browsing and casual photos/videos. I have my Canon mirrorless cameras if I need serious photos and I have my iPad Pro 12.9 if I need a larger portable device. Im surprised the mini has sold so poorly, but its a bit pricey, especially with the SE 2020 for nearly half the price. I will wait a few weeks until the honeymoon phase is over but as of now, the Mini is probably my favorite iPhone of all time.

phones.jpg

HALE101

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2018
I just got a Mini today too. I now have the Max, Mini and SE 2020. Its only been two hours but I already know which one Im keeping....the Mini. Been using the Max since launch day but Ive grown tired of it. Its just too big, heavy and awkward to use as my main device despite the amazing camera system. Love the SE but not crazy about the display and old school design. The Mini is perfect IMO. 95% of the goodness from the 12 Pro models, but in a much smaller, lighter and cheaper package.

I dont watch movies or play games on my phone. I just do calls, texts, emails, social media, light web browsing and casual photos/videos. I have my Canon mirrorless cameras if I need serious photos and I have my iPad Pro 12.9 if I need a larger portable device. Im surprised the mini has sold so poorly, but its a bit pricey, especially with the SE 2020 for nearly half the price. I will wait a few weeks until the honeymoon phase is over but as of now, the Mini is probably my favorite iPhone of all time.

View attachment 1717790
What happened to your amazing Note 20 ultra that you were ranting and raving about in a bunch of posts last year ? ? ?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK

View attachment 1717790
Its amazing to think that the iphone on the right, costs the same as the iphone on the left and middle combined!

Reactions: DexBell

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005

That's awesome.

I do love my Max much and keeping it for my daily phone. I do watch videos on it some, and I think the Pro feels super quality. The stainless steel and heft are just so nice, IMHO.

I like the mini a lot, but I'm just using it in bed as an iPod right now.

It's terrific that Apple has so many options now!

Reactions: DexBell

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Couldn’t agree more. Also, I don’t understand why people aren’t praising the upgraded CPU more. I immediately noticed a significant speed increase compared to my iPhone X.
Camera on 12 mini also a clear step up from X. Which itself blows away the 6s on all dimensions not just camera.

So honestly I can’t see why anyone puts 6S and 12 mini in the same frame....

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
You're not gonna get the A14, OLED & Top tier cameras for 599. It's basically a mini pro version.

The xr and 11 were too expensive when first launched though.
Exactly. It’s all the fine details of the top model in a truly pocket size.

If one doesn’t care about the very best display and camera , and the FaceID then one doesn’t have to pay for it - the SE2020 is the low entry ticket model.

And that’s what folks don’t understand - that it is a “mini” as in “mini pro” - not “mini price”.

Small size does not mean it’s a price fighter model or aimed at price-sensitive customers. Quite the opposite - it’s aimed at keeping happy the Apple premium customers who Werel dissatisfied with the steady growth in size and weight and delaying their upgrades. I musefletter know a few people who bought the older iPhone SE for thai reason, a couple of then would have bought the SE2020 if the mini hadnt been released.

In this product is the joy that hasn’t really been there since the days of the 5S: a really high-quality device that discretely serves you well and does not command attention or take up space.

Here, the real issue is Apple has been sloppy with its product naming strategy and that is what’s making the positioning of this item unclear. They should have thought more carefully across all the product names.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, while the improvements are mostly objective, the value of each of them is very subjective.

I’d say generally speaking phone improvements these days are most appreciated by phone enthusiasts and photo takers. Not professional photographers per se, but I think phones have tapped into the everyday person’s desire to share their lives and experiences, and has enabled them to do so visual with good quality cameras, essentially turning the mainstream into photo takers. And so the ability to take better and better photos is widely valued (but still subjective).

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Yeah, while the improvements are mostly objective, the value of each of them is very subjective.

I’d say generally speaking phone improvements these days are most appreciated by phone enthusiasts and photo takers. Not professional photographers per se, but I think phones have tapped into the everyday person’s desire to share their lives and experiences, and has enabled them to do so visual with good quality cameras, essentially turning the mainstream into photo takers. And so the ability to take better and better photos is widely valued (but still subjective).
I agree.

As someone who works in the creative fields and being familiar with professional cameras, I am rather amazed how tiny sensor and computational photography enhancement works these days.
I jumped from iPhone 6 straight to 12 mini, the auto HDR and low light processing is something I never imagine to have in a smartphone few years ago.
This is of course talking about phone photography in general, not just on iPhones.

Reactions: subjonas

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I agree.

As someone who works in the creative fields and being familiar with professional cameras, I am rather amazed how tiny sensor and computational photography enhancement works these days.
I jumped from iPhone 6 straight to 12 mini, the auto HDR and low light processing is something I never imagine to have in a smartphone few years ago.
This is of course talking about phone photography in general, not just on iPhones.
Yes, I love my Canon DLSR, and no phone camera will ever be able to match it in terms of image quality due to physics, however in terms of HDR and Exposure, current smartphone cameras are just unbeatable.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
My trusted iPhone 6S stopped working during the weekend and all of sudden I had no other option but to buy a new phone. I liked the old form factor, and settled on the 12 mini. I assume many people on this forum are updating the phones much more often, so I thought to write a few lines on what if feels like to fast-forward five years in the world of mobile phones.

My gut feeling is that the development has been surprisingly incremental. Feels like much smaller change than my last switch from iPhone 5 to 6s. Sure, this judgement comes from someone who mainly uses the phone for social media, messaging, occasional internet use and every now and then for some not-so-resource-hungy games. Sure, the viewpoint is very different than for someone who's playing more demanding games, doing video editing, or professional photography. On the other hand, I'm wondering who would be spending that much time on those activities on a phone, when computers, iPads and DSLRs are in many cases more convenient and better?

Anyway, here are some plusses and minuses when comparing 6S to 12 mini:

1) Screen size when compared to the size of the phone: the 12 mini screen is obviously bigger and better. However, in most of the time the difference is not really that significant. 12 mini is also more difficult to use with one hand, even with big hands. Overall: slight win to 12 mini.
2) Overall quality of the screen. Obviously better in 12 mini, but doesn't create any "wow" feelings.
3) UI. Slightly worse in 12 mini as there's no home button and the fingerprint sensor works in a higher number of situations than face ID (for example with a mask on). Although I'm pretty sure I'll get used to the new UI soon. Anyway, slight win to 6S.
4) Camera. Obviously by far the biggest improvement in 12 mini.
5) Processor. In normal social media etc. everything seems to be bit snappier, but 6S wasn't bad either in this regard. Slight win to 12 mini.
6) Sound quality. I can't spot any major improvements in everyday use, although didn't have a chance to test them side-by-side as the old phone broke down.

Overall, considering that I just spent almost 800 euros for a phone that's five years newer than my old one was, I'm surprised how incremental the evolution has been. Again, the comparison would sure have taken different direction if I would be using very resource-hungry apps or serious photography. But I'm not, and I assume most of the other users aren't either.

Despite of all the buzz in the annual product unveiling events, at least to me it seems that the industry has reached some kind of maturity, unless you're into specific use cases, such as resource-hungy apps, or for some reason use the phone for professional photography instead of a DSLR. What do you think?

p.s. Maybe I should add that I'm not disappointed in the change. I needed a new phone and generally the 12 mini either about equal or better in almost all respects. What surprised me was the incrementality of the change in normal use, except for the camera.
Great honest review!!
This is the reason I haven’t updated yet. I’m still using my 6s I got from 2015. It still works perfectly and I’m even on 14.4.2

I’ve been extremely lucky, as I’ve always used the thin fit case from Spigen so no protection at top or bottom and never used a screen protector. My phone looks brand new and still very snappy and does everything I need. Touch ID always works and quick.

I do want a larger screen but don’t want to lose Touch ID. The 12 mini is out because it’s smaller than my 6s with only marginal screen increase. The mini also has poor speakers. I’ve seen many vids and compared to the 11 and 12 pro the 12 mini speakers are weak.

I’d like to wait for the 13 however there are no guarantees that Touch ID will return. I’m considering a 11 pro refurbished. The form factor is most closely resembles the 6s. Although it’s much heavier than the 6s, the battery life I’ve seen is very good beating even the 12 pro. The only drawback is the weight and the older intel modem inside.

Enjoyed reading your review.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Great honest review!!
This is the reason I haven’t updated yet. I’m still using my 6s I got from 2015. It still works perfectly and I’m even on 14.4.2

I’ve been extremely lucky, as I’ve always used the thin fit case from Spigen so no protection at top or bottom and never used a screen protector. My phone looks brand new and still very snappy and does everything I need. Touch ID always works and quick.

I do want a larger screen but don’t want to lose Touch ID. The 12 mini is out because it’s smaller than my 6s with only marginal screen increase. The mini also has poor speakers. I’ve seen many vids and compared to the 11 and 12 pro the 12 mini speakers are weak.

I’d like to wait for the 13 however there are no guarantees that Touch ID will return. I’m considering a 11 pro refurbished. The form factor is most closely resembles the 6s. Although it’s much heavier than the 6s, the battery life I’ve seen is very good beating even the 12 pro. The only drawback is the weight and the older intel modem inside.

Enjoyed reading your review.
I can definitely attest to this, the 12 mini speakers are not that great (SE2 speakers are better), but they get the job done. This is probably due to the 12 minis small size though as speaker diaphragms need room to breathe etc. Apart from this though, the 12 mini is up there as one of the best iphones of all time in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.