Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Not actually part of the review per se, I took last weekend and reverted back to my iPhone 7+ to get a fresh perspective.
After using the 7+ for the weekend, I happily went back to the Razer.
I did enjoy the iPhone to iPad interaction however I had several app crashes, slow speed (GUI), the notifications, the overall execution, or lack of execution, of basic apps (email, calendar, etc...) - it was a relief to move back to the Razer.

The Razer. It was a good choice. ;)

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I am interested in syncing and integration. Are you able to sync calendars and address books between iOS and Android? I have read there are apps that allow you to airplay with an android device.

Basically I'd like to know how it is going as you move between Apple products and your android phone. FaceTime at all?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Update: It has now been two months since I switched from an iPhone 7+ to the Razer.

To give you a better idea on how this is working for me, here is an overview of how I use my devices.
  • ThinkPad X260 - This is my daily work machine. Heavy encryption and lots of other stuff. Work.
  • Retina MacBook 2015 - This is my daily personal use device. Also use for my financials.
  • Ipad Pro 12.9 G2 - Let's call this my consumption device. Email, blog, TV, Movies, basic document review, light gaming, etc... I use the Keyboard and Pen. Yes, I tried it as a laptop. Didn't work for me.
  • Razer (Android) - My current personal / work phone. Work involves a lot of regulatory and confidential stuff. This kind of bridges my Mac (personal) and my Thinkpad (work). Google and Outlook for email, calendar, and contacts.
In the past (before Android), all my personal info and activities was shared between my Apple devices. Airdrop, iMessage, and personal calendar/email would be handled kind of seamlessly. (NOTE: iOS 11 made this a bit more difficult. Hence a big reason to change) My work stuff was sort of shared between my ThinkPad and my iPhone. There was a bit of a "gap" as email, calendar, and contacts would not always indicate on my iPhone. This process used the default Apple apps. I could do most basic activities but some had to be done on my Thinkpad.

Today, it has changed a bit.
My personal information is shared between my Apple devices and for the most part with my Razer. My activites pretty much include Google in everything. Email. Calendars. Photos. Cloud. Etc. All the apps I used on my iPhone are available on Android. If I do it on my rMB or my iPad, I can see it realtime (pretty much) on my Razer and vice versa. Like the iPhone, the Razer is encrypted by default. The apps work the same with the same security.
My work stuff is handled a bit differently. On my iPhone, it used default apps. On my Razer, I use Outlook and Skype for Business (same as on the Thinkpad). There is a seperate document handling ability that has higher encryption. The itegration between my Thinkpad and Razer is better with what I had with iOS. I suspect that is due to the apps used.

When I switched from iOS to Android I did a bit of research and performed some up front maintenance. I moved my contacts from iCloud to Google. There are a couple of apps in the App Store for this. I let my critical contacts know I was switching. I backed up all my data to my GDrive.
It turns out that this was good but pretty much unneeded. Still glad I did it.
When I activated the Razer, it asks if you want to import from another device; iOS or Android. Having everything on my GDrive and in Google, I declined and allowed it to pull all needed info from Google. It was quick and painless. On the Android side - more later. I connected to work, installed Outlook and Skype. Work did its magic and I was off and running. One really nice aspect, with Outlook, Skype, Sharepoint, and the MS Office suite, in many cases I can work on the run without having to boot up my Thinkpad. A serious improvement. The Razer has a 256GB micro SD card added. Also note that my Razer is stock. I adjusted some settings and work installed Airwatch. Outside of that, no alternative launchers or major setting changes.

What did I miss moving from the iPhone? iMessage and to a point, the camera. I am now using Skype for Business IM and Google Messenger instead. The camera continue to improve but is not close to the iPhone. Overall not bad. Took a bit of getting used to. Still, a very workable solution.

What headaches did the switch cause? Contacts.... no, iCloud. Keep in mind I use Google as my primary data system and iCloud strictly for my Apple stuff. As part of this change, my personal contacts, email, and calendar now are fed from Google. I pretty much turned off those features in iCloud. (Work continues to feed from Exchange.) However, I have noticed that contacts and other data that resides in my iCloud, even if deleted, will randomly show up on my iPad and rMB mixed in with the Google stuff. A pain. Especially contacts as this will tend to replace the existing contact on the device. Most frequent after an iOS or MacOS update. Ugh.

So, a typical day.
Get up and check my Razer during breakfast. Quick look at notifications, calendar, texts, email, and reminders. Log into Skype. BTW, Skype syncs with Outlook. Nice feature. Go to my office and sign onto my iPad - news, etc... Boot up the Thinkpad and off to another work day.

In the end, the Razer for me has been an improvement from a work perspective - better integration. Example: Outlook on the Thinkpad and Razer can run the same rules and handle email / attachments the same. From a personal use perspective, it was a bit of a downgrade due primarily to bugs / issues I am experiencing with iCloud on my Apple devices. Issues with iOS 11 and High Sierra have added to that.

Overall, this has been great! The Razer has shown no issues, no slowdowns, and has a better battery life than the iPhone 7+. What has been the biggest benefit(s) in my eyes after two months? Notifications and the lack of bugs. There are some other things I like but these have to be the big ones at this time.

I am interested in syncing and integration. Are you able to sync calendars and address books between iOS and Android? I have read there are apps that allow you to airplay with an android device.

Basically I'd like to know how it is going as you move between Apple products and your android phone. FaceTime at all?

Good timing ;)
  • Syncing calendars. I have moved to Google for my personal calendar and this syncs between all devices. I have found that some iOS calendar invites will not work properly with the Google calendar. Usually it is ics invites that give me an issue - just some. Most work fine.
  • Address Books. I have moved all my personal address books to Google and have removed them from the iCloud. This works great except, especially after an iOS or MacOS update, I seem to end up with some legacy iCloud contacts over-writing the Google contacts on the device (iPad, rMB). I think this has to do with the iCloud.
  • Airplay between iOS and Android - I have tried this just a little bit. So far I can mirror, usually, from iOS to Android via my home wifi network. I have not been successful from Android to iOS - then again, I have not put much effort into it.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Had a bit of time this fine morning and thought I would post my almost 3 month update. A couple of new things good and poor. Still enjoying my Razer and have settled into a smooth daily use process.

The device is still running as smooth and as fast as the day I started. No Android 8.0 yet. Razer found a couple of serious issues and has elected to jump right to 8.1 - date is tbd at the moment.

The Good
  • Battery life has improved slightly. More from me finding ways to streamline my workflow.
  • The fingerprint sensor is now available for all kinds of password functions. It gets the use ;)
  • I have added and removed a couple of apps as I try out different things. Interestingly I have made no major changes to either the setup or layout. Small tweaks at most.
The Poor
  • Ran into an issue with Google Maps and driving directions. They just stopped working. As I dove into this it appears to be something to do with the compass (internal). Android does provide you with a method to reset/recalibrate your compass. However, I am still having issues. I don't use this much but I am sure many do.
  • Chrome started forgetting some of my saved login (site) information. I wiped the cache / history and this has fixed the issue. Not sure what caused the problem.
  • I dislike the use of vibration as a notification. From that, there are a couple of places where I have been unable to totally turn it off (notifications) and fingerprint sensor.
Over all I am very pleased with this device and recommend it to anyone who wants a pretty much bare bones Android device of great quality, fluidity, and speed.

Side note: I am going to be testing the iPhone 8+ and iPhone X over the next month (work related) and will give a comparative review between these and the Razer for those interested.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Had a bit of time this fine morning and thought I would post my almost 3 month update. A couple of new things good and poor. Still enjoying my Razer and have settled into a smooth daily use process.

Side note: I am going to be testing the iPhone 8+ and iPhone X over the next month (work related) and will give a comparative review between these and the Razer for those interested.

While I am still an iPhone user, I would be curious to hear about the comparisons between the Razor and the latest iPhones.

Reactions: dk001

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

The device is still running as smooth and as fast as the day I started. No Android 8.0 yet. Razer found a couple of serious issues and has elected to jump right to 8.1 - date is tbd at the moment.

The Good
  • Battery life has improved slightly. More from me finding ways to streamline my workflow.
  • The fingerprint sensor is now available for all kinds of password functions. It gets the use ;)
  • I have added and removed a couple of apps as I try out different things. Interestingly I have made no major changes to either the setup or layout. Small tweaks at most.
The Poor
  • Ran into an issue with Google Maps and driving directions. They just stopped working. As I dove into this it appears to be something to do with the compass (internal). Android does provide you with a method to reset/recalibrate your compass. However, I am still having issues. I don't use this much but I am sure many do.
  • Chrome started forgetting some of my saved login (site) information. I wiped the cache / history and this has fixed the issue. Not sure what caused the problem.
  • I dislike the use of vibration as a notification. From that, there are a couple of places where I have been unable to totally turn it off (notifications) and fingerprint sensor.
Over all I am very pleased with this device and recommend it to anyone who wants a pretty much bare bones Android device of great quality, fluidity, and speed.

Apparently 8.1 is out.

https://twitter.com/daniel_rubino/status/985971644446408704?s=21

Reactions: dk001

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Update: 8.1 became available for my device a couple hours ago.
Took about 15 minutes to download and install.
I will post a more thorough review in a few days. The initial feel is .... wow :eek:. Smooth, fast, and ... more soon ;).

Excellent. Can't wait to hear more about it. My biggest concern is whether or not they fixed the meh camera or if it even can be fixed.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I have been testing an iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus and my Razer for the last couple of weeks now and decided to publish it in another thread to allow greater visibility and not clutter up this thread with a lot of X vs. 8+ vs. Rzr questions / comments / etc... LINK

I will be posting an update for the Razer on Android 8.1 (coming soon).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.