Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Hope this uploaded my first pic out of camera. Standard settings apart from set film simulation mode set to F2.

Attachments

• DSCF0059.jpg
    DSCF0059.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 204

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
Congratulations! You made the 'right' choice. ;) Honestly I was hoping you would give the Fuji a go, & I'm glad you're pleased so far. Who wouldn't be after seeing those colors, just be careful in F2 as it tends to clip your highlights (and shadow detail to a lesser degree - in my experience). I'm sure you've found the skin tones to be very pleasing, especially in F1b. I really don't think any sensor comes closer to the look of film as the S5 does. Have fun experimenting with the different settings!

Are those shots lacking manipulation as they look to be? I can imagine you would have gotten a quite different capture (not knocking the quality of the D90) if you had chosen otherwise. Nothing a little PS can't fix, but from my experience, it's so nice to get the results I've gotten from Fuji without the 'need' to tweak. One last question, have you noticed you're really not missing out on a whole lot in terms of the Aperture features (if you've used it yet)? Again, congrats, have fun, and enjoy a camera that can capture incredible images!

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Congratulations! You made the 'right' choice. ;) Honestly I was hoping you would give the Fuji a go, & I'm glad you're pleased so far. Who wouldn't be after seeing those colors, just be careful in F2 as it tends to clip your highlights (and shadow detail to a lesser degree - in my experience). I'm sure you've found the skin tones to be very pleasing, especially in F1b. I really don't think any sensor comes closer to the look of film as the S5 does. Have fun experimenting with the different settings!

Are those shots lacking manipulation as they look to be? I can imagine you would have gotten a quite different capture (not knocking the quality of the D90) if you had chosen otherwise. Nothing a little PS can't fix, but from my experience, it's so nice to get the results I've gotten from Fuji without the 'need' to tweak. One last question, have you noticed you're really not missing out on a whole lot in terms of the Aperture features (if you've used it yet)? Again, congrats, have fun, and enjoy a camera that can capture incredible images!

Hi Matt

Thanks for your posting. The shots are straight out of the camera and I have not manipulated them at all. I would be interested to know as a Fuji user what areas you do commonly tweak in either Aperture or Photoshop. The reason I ask is with the D40x I found I was tweaking the same things.

So far I have not really felt the need to use Aperture but will let you know.

One thing though is that the shots I have taken so far have been JPEG rather than RAW. 2 reasons for that, 1 is that the RAW files are massive in size and the other is I am happy to reduce the amount of post picture processing I was doing. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Oh one other thing, what do you have you DR set at, Auto or do you have a set range for indoor and then a different range for outdoor shots?

Cheers

Richard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.