Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
Strange connectivity issue. I tried connecting my Fujifilm XH-2 to the front USB 3 C (Gen 2) ports on the Mac Studio M2 Max and it is not recognized.

At the same time, a 3 year old Fujifilm X100V WILL connect to the front USB 3 C (Gen 2) hub.

The XH-2 will connect to the USB A port on the rear of the Studio which is a USB 2 hub.

I talked to some level 1 tech support rep at Apple and all they could say is sometimes these wierd issues happen.

Any ideas as to why one camera works and the other does not?

NOTE: I sent the camera to Fujifilm for a checkout and they found no problem connecting the X-H2 to various computers in their shop.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't have the answer to your problem.

But I would suggest this:
Use the port that works for you (even if it's on the rear).

I'm thinking that something like this could help:
(numerous lengths shown, 3 or 6 ft. would work)

...In combination with a USBa (extension cable end) to USBc (camera end).

When not used with the camera, the extension could be used for various other things.

Granted, this is nothing more than a [slightly clunky] "workaround".
But it makes that USBa port on the back much easier to access...

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
I don't have the answer to your problem.

But I would suggest this:
Use the port that works for you (even if it's on the rear).

I'm thinking that something like this could help:
(numerous lengths shown, 3 or 6 ft. would work)

...In combination with a USBa (extension cable end) to USBc (camera end).

When not used with the camera, the extension could be used for various other things.

Granted, this is nothing more than a [slightly clunky] "workaround".
But it makes that USBa port on the back much easier to access...
Yes, I have done that. I am asking anyone with the same setup tor see if they get the same results.
Either a Fujifilm X-H2, X-H2S or X-T5 would be of the same generation and should have the same USB C ports.

As an experiment I connected the OWC 11-Port Thunderbolt 4 Dock to the Mac Studio and then connected the X-H2 to one of the Thunderbolt 4/ USB ports on the dock and it connected instantly.

So all this points to some strange difference in the Mac Studio M2 Max front USB ports.

Last edited:

PeteRob

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
X-H2S does the same. I had a USB-C to USB-A adapter on one of the front ports and tried the camera in that, first time just now (glad to find your post) but it was not recognised as a USB device. Turning the camera on did not produce the USB message on the real LCD - the camera just went into normal picture taking mode.

Both rear USB-A ports in use already. Just migrated to Studio from 2012 imac. I have (from the imac) a wired keyboard with 2 x USB-A ports on it. Previously downloaded from all cameras OK via the keyboard ports but if not quick enough to turn the X-H2S on it would try to charge from the port and the iMac would put up a message to say it had disabled the power supply to the port but it would still transfer data.

The Studio (M2-Max) has something wrong with the rear USB-A ports. It really does not like a wired keyboard and won't recognise the keyboard when the computer reboots (makes entering password impossible). Unplug/plug the USB-A very quickly (< 1s) seems to prompt something that re-establishes the port. A delay in reconnection and it doesn't see it. I had a real panic after the machine completed migration and I was asked to sign in for the first time.

Attaching an X-H2S to the keyboard port also disconnects the keyboard from the computer so that the studio doesn't see the camera or the keyboard as a device.

I got the camera to download only by fitting a USB-C to USB-C cable between a rear USB-C slot and the camera. This was lucky - I didn't try the rear USB-A port on is own. One is used by the keyboard and one an external disk drive. I turned off USB charging in case that was the problem with the USB-A connection (camera pulling more power then A supplies) haven't tried with it re-enabled but that didn't matter on the old iMac.

X100V connects as USB device through the keyboard USB-A slot as usual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.