Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
While part of the demand for large phablets is from developing countries due to lower device cost and power reliability, for other countries like China, the demand is because of different reasons. Consumers there aren't buying a $1,400 iPhone 14 Pro Max because it's their first computer. It's because Chinese consumers live far more digitally connected lives than in western countries.

For example, 80% of transactions in China use digital payment. The only people using credit cards or cash are seniors and visitors. Another example is livestream shopping where it is a $500B market in China vs. $10B in the U.S. Everything is digital whether you're talking about identity cards, parking tickets, or student report cards.

As more consumers around the world live digitally connected lives without needing to carry a wallet, their screen time increases leading to preference for large phablets.
Essentially similar notion, just with different perspectives. ;) I agree. In the current digital world, even a well off person might not be interested in buying a laptop unless they have to. Spending their money on a smartphone first, and then maybe a tablet that can do 95% of their computing tasks have become the norm. Thus a larger screen phone has become preferable simply because that will be the screen people will be looking most of the time.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
BOM isn't anywhere close to $200 higher for the iPhone 14 Plus. As an example, the 6.5-inch display for iPhone Xs Max costs only $13 more than 5.8-inch iPhone X. The battery costs $2.50 more. Apple is laughing all the way to the bank when you buy larger, more expensive devices. They laugh harder when you add storage.
Totally agree 😆
Apple is about upselling, and their more expensive models generally give them better margins. The more people buying the Pro Max, the wider Tim Cook's smile is.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Hopefully the mini will make its way back around in the SE range. The R&D is done, the design is done, and Apple has a history of reusing designs.

Reactions: iSwift5

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
Not selling much better simply means the iPhone 14 series did not grow as much as Apple expected compared to iPhone 13.

Even if Apple sells the same number of units of iPhone 14 as 13, they’re raking in $899 per iPhone 14 Plus. That’s far more preferable than collecting $699 for each mini.

In short, there is no chance of going back to the mini.

And bigger tech is usually cheaper to manufacture.
But they could simply raise the price for the mini.

Reactions: iSwift5

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hopefully the mini will make its way back around in the SE range. The R&D is done, the design is done, and Apple has a history of reusing designs.
I hope so too, but I know it’s unlikely. The next perfect candidate for an SE is the XR. LCD screen, single camera, perfect for a new SE. using the mini means Apple has to spend money in designing a new LCD screen for it.

There’s a reason Apple kicked the 12 mini off the lineup. The pricing is probably doesn’t match Apple’s desired margin by this point.

Reactions: Tyler O'Bannon

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Its interesting hearing you say this Jpack, as we said the exact same thing when the 12 Mini was getting slated for 'poor' sales when it was released during the pandemic times.

Because the 2022 data is entirely different from 2020. So far, the procurement data from Ross Young shows competitive sales for the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro series.

Pic6_2022-10-10-140056_efps.png

Another important point is pricing. The iPhone 12 mini was very competitively priced at $699, same as iPhone 11. But it had a brand new chassis, expensive 5G radio, and OLED. Given the already attractive pricing, it was clear the 5.4-inch form factor was the problem.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Because the 2022 data is entirely different from 2020. So far, the procurement data from Ross Young shows competitive sales for the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro series.

View attachment 2096087

Another important point is pricing. The iPhone 12 mini was very competitively priced at $699, same as iPhone 11. But it had a brand new chassis, expensive 5G radio, and OLED. Given the already attractive pricing, it was clear the 5.4-inch form factor was the problem.
Have you got a source for this table, as the figures for the regular 14 models look a bit dubious considering literally every tech article are reporting low sales and demand for these models at this time (China included).

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Flip phones aren’t really a mini replacement though. They are significantly taller when opened (difficult for one-handed use), are thicker and therefore less pocketable when closed, and are heavier.
The Z Flip is way more pocketable that my 13PM was when folded, and is close to the dimensions of a Pro when opened. I will have to Google the weights. It doesn't seems as heavy as my 13PM was, but want to see how it compared to Pro since they're about the same size...

Z Flip 4: 165.2 x 71.9 x 6.9 mm - 187g
14 Pro: 147.5 x 71.5 x 7.9 mm - 206g

klasma

macrumors 604
Jun 8, 2017
The Z Flip is way more pocketable that my 13PM was when folded, and is close to the dimensions of a Pro when opened. I will have to Google the weights. It doesn't seems as heavy as my 13PM was, but want to see how it compared to Pro since they're about the same size...

Z Flip 4: 165.2 x 71.9 x 6.9 mm - 187g
14 Pro: 147.5 x 71.5 x 7.9 mm - 206g
I think that supports my point. The iPhone mini is smaller and only weighs 140 g, and like some others I actually prefer the even smaller and lighter OG SE in terms of size and weight at only 113 g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.