Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
I think I might go IDE to SATA for a SSD since 120GB SSD's are around $40.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I prefer going the mSATA route over CF cards.

My reasons are two fold:

1. CF media is designed basically to be written to, read, erased, and start the whole thing again. Using it as system's main disk is going to involve a lot of random access and other things that CF cards aren't really designed to do. They can work well for a while, but really don't have the duty cycle design for a system disk

2. CF cards are expensive vs. mSATA SSDs in similar capacities.

So, not only are you paying more for a CF card, you're getting what really is an inferior technology in the sense that the mSATA is really designed for what you're using it for.

I think part of the attraction of CF cards is that they can be had in capacities much lower than typical mSATA drives, which can make them an economical option esp. if you're dealing with a computer that shipped with a 10gb or smaller HDD. With that said, though, for relatively modern computers like the Cube and especially late Powerbooks(where I've used a lot of mSATA drives), the benefits of an mSATA drive are there.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
So if I were to use an mSATA SSD, I noticed the converter boards don't have molex power. Does that mean that I don't have to use it in the Cube?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
So if I were to use an mSATA SSD, I noticed the converter boards don't have molex power. Does that mean that I don't have to use it in the Cube?

Most of the converter boards are designed for a 44 pin laptop connector rather than a 40 pin desktop connector. The difference-obviously-is four pins, which also happens to be the number of wires in a Molex power connector. Or, put another way, laptop ATA HDDs get both power and data through the same cable.

There are readily available adapters to allow you to split off the 44 pin adapter into a standard 40 pin+4 pin molex connection.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Finally got the 80GB HDD situated and all updates installed. The 250GB was toast so I threw it out.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Most of the converter boards are designed for a 44 pin laptop connector rather than a 40 pin desktop connector. The difference-obviously-is four pins, which also happens to be the number of wires in a Molex power connector. Or, put another way, laptop ATA HDDs get both power and data through the same cable.

There are readily available adapters to allow you to split off the 44 pin adapter into a standard 40 pin+4 pin molex connection.

Interesting. Been thinking about installing an SSD in my 1.2GHz Cube. Could you please advise if THIS would be a suitable SSD.
If so, what would be a compatible converter board?

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Interesting. Been thinking about installing an SSD in my 1.2GHz Cube. Could you please advise if THIS would be a suitable SSD.
If so, what would be a compatible converter board?
Here you would need an mSATA to 2.5" SATA converter, a 2.5" to 3.5" drive frame, and a SATA to IDE bridge.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Here you would need an mSATA to 2.5" SATA converter, a 2.5" to 3.5" drive frame, and a SATA to IDE bridge

There are adapters available that will directly convert an mSATA drive into 2.5" form factor 44 pin IDE drive. There are a couple of configurations out there, but the ones I use have a plastic case that gives them the same form factor and mounting hole locations as a standard 2.5" drive(which makes them super easy drop in replacements for laptops, and I've used a bunch in that way).

I tried using a standard 2.5" SATA SSD in a Cube, but couldn't find a SATA-IDE bridge that would fit and work with the cable configuration. I've actually never really found a use for those adapters, as(like I said) they don't fit well in small form factor stuff and for towers I'd rather use a SATA card to take advantage of brand new, fast SATA HDD or SSDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.