Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
22floorsbydjmastawesuw4.jpg

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
thequicksilver said:
I like this one. The Swiss Re "Gherkin" building in London on a very sunny July day. Stunning building.

Cropped to suit my new MacBook. :)

Can I ask where you took that from? Lovely photo btw, it's one of my favourite buildings.

I work in the City, barely 5 minutes walk away from the Gherkin but I don't recognise the walkway in the photo. Perhaps I'm *too* close to it!

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I did a lot of urban / arch. pics in July. All have been sharpened in iPhoto, and I believe I did very slight adjustments to contrast and brightness as well.

From my photo evening with gekko513 at Aker Brygge in Oslo:

Canon 350D
Sigma 18 - 125mm
1/1000 @ f 14.00
ISO 400
38mm

IMG_0634.jpg

A house somewhere along the northwestern coast of Norway. I used the color accent program on the camera:

Canon S2 IS
1/250 @ f 4.0
14.50 mm
ISO not registered

Redroof.jpg

Here's the top of a house in my neighborhood. You can see my fence against it (I was sitting on the ground in my yard, pointing the camera up). The chimneys are actually red, but I liked the B and W version better:

Housetops1.jpg

Canon 350D
Sigma 18 - 125mm
1/400 @ f 9.0
ISO 100
125 mm

And here's a shot of my absolute favorite architecture in Oslo, in Akersgata. I think the way they've created a new, sort of space-age like addition to the original, old building on the far right, is just amazing:

Akersgata.jpg

Canon 350D
Sigma 18 - 125mm
1/200 @ f 10.0
ISO 100
34 mm

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Abstract said:
You know.....for a guy who was asking me about photography and how to take a photo of his mixing board without making it blurry around 2-3 months ago, you sure have improved. :p

Very nice. One of the 3 best photos in this thread. :)
Thanks!

I'm a quick learner. :p

annk those are really nice shots.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
dietcokevanilla said:
Can I ask where you took that from? Lovely photo btw, it's one of my favourite buildings.

I work in the City, barely 5 minutes walk away from the Gherkin but I don't recognise the walkway in the photo. Perhaps I'm *too* close to it!

I'd been trying to remember myself to be honest - I love walking around the City at the weekend because it's so fantastically quiet and you can really appreciate the architecture in the area - and I wasn't 100% sure where I'd actually ended up.

I've had a look on Google maps though and I'm pretty sure it's somewhere around my orange splodge. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,078

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
From church exterior...

...to a church interior:

airborne_glass.jpg

The church in Sainte Mere Eglise (Normandy, France) was made famous when 101st Airborne trooper John Steele got his parachute hung up on the Steeple on D-Day.

Canon Powershot A80. Settings not available.

-hh

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Feb 2006, Lining Up, Yokohama Station

Camera: Olympus C-7070
Focal Length: 14.5mm
Exposure: 1/160s @ f/4.5
ISO: 80

orig.jpg

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
The Qoricancha (Temple of the Sun), in Cusco, Peru.

Inca_qoricancha(0648).jpg

EXIF:
Canon A80
1/80sec @ f/4.9
23.4mm; no ISO data

The general history of the Qoricancha (Koricancha) is that after the Inca Empire was defeated by the Spanish, they proceeded to purposefully destroy the Qoricancha (populace subjugation) in Cusco, and used its stone to build the Saint Domigo church on the site, circa 1540.

However, because of the high quality and robustness of the Inca construction techniques, by the time that they had deconstructed top stories, the Spanish decided that most of the ground floor of the temple could stay, serving as the foundation for Saint Domigo church, and they just crudely chiseled in a few doorways where needed, as the walls were then covered in Stucco as per the style of the day (and also concealing the original Inca stonework).

In 1650, a major earthquake struck Cuzco (around magnitude 7 or 8), which destroyed the Dominican Priory and Church of Santo Domingo. It was rebuilt.

In 1950, another najor earthquake hit Cuzco in 1950 (again, (around magnitude 7 or 8), which badly destroyed the Priory and Church of Santo Domingo again.

Both times, the city's Inca architecture firmly withstood the earthquake.

Poetic justice, eh?

Inside the church, the stucco that had long concealed the walls was shattered, as well as many of the old Inca works across the city which had been thought to have been long destroyed (between the earthquakes and the Spanish) were exposed. The church wanted to restore their buildings, but society was becoming more secular (and tourism revenue oriented) and city officials eventually protected the exposed walls and told the church that no, they couldn't rebuild over (subjugating) the more ancient religeous site.

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.