Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
I have a game-elements GGE909 and looking for a driver for Mac OS10.5 for a powermac G5? I look all over the internet and even take a generic driver for it to work. Thank you for the help.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I have a game-elements GGE909 and looking for a driver for Mac OS10.5 for a powermac G5? I look all over the internet and even take a generic driver for it to work. Thank you for the help.

Do you see anything listed for it under "USB" in System Information?

danjal

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2024
Sorry to tag onto this. Friend of mine was clearing house and found an usb microsoft sidewinder gamepad usb. Would I need anything to get it working or would it be considered a 'default' gamepad for os9 & osx 10.4

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
Do you see anything listed for it under "USB" in System Information?
Yes i do see it there. any games got but one will use it. Stella see it and uses it but it very sensitive and hard to control stuff. I need software to set up the buttons of some type.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Yes i do see it there. any games got but one will use it.

This is a good sign! The fact that Mac OS recognises its presence is hopeful. :D

Stella see it and uses it but it very sensitive and hard to control stuff. I need software to set up the buttons of some type.

Then download and try the USB Overdrive software that @davisdelo linked to in his reply. I used it in the past on a G4 under Tiger and it should help you to configure everything. :)

Let us know how you get on.

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
OS 9 I can't answer but in Tiger it should work with USB Overdrive and/or Gamepad Companion.
usb overdrive won't install because i running mac os 10.5.9 sorbet. Since programs don't see mac os 10.5.8 they won't install. I had a few programs that won't install because of that. I try gamepad companion. thanks.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Thanks, should be getting it tommrow or the following day and i'll hit back to keep you updated incase anybody else gets one at some stage

Please do! This kind of information is always beneficial to the community because there's bound to be other people in the same situation and if they search the forum and find your post, they'll find helpful answers. :)

usb overdrive won't install because i running mac os 10.5.9 sorbet. Since programs don't see mac os 10.5.8 they won't install. I had a few programs that won't install because of that. I try gamepad companion. thanks.

The version of USB Overdrive that's hosted on the Mac Garden won't work with Leopard but this version for Tiger and Leopard will. ;)

Personally I'd play around with both and see which one works the best for you.

danjal

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2024
Just arrived, did he even use this? Will find out tonight how it plays

Attachments

• IMG_0194.jpeg
    IMG_0194.jpeg
    670.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Wow
Reactions: TheShortTimer

danjal

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2024
So far MacOS 10.4 seams to see it just fine, so much so I can't map it with GamePad Companion. SNES9X sees it and works (version 1.43 v65) all buttons show up and map exactly. I couldn't get Jazz Jackrabbit 2 to work on it. This might be because either A) I need some driver/extension for it to work or B) Its limited to the game itself to suport. Remmbering that this controller is the 2nd gen from 2001 i'm going to try a more period correct game and will report back.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 18

danjal

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2024
I have tested with a few games, It would seam that if you are playing a game designed for osx you are good to go, most games will recoginize it. Games like Wipeout 2097 work and it is recongized. It is a no go for OS9 Classic, I figure its missing an extension of some sort but I can not find any driver/ext for it to work. As far as emulators go, it works, again provided it was desgined for OS10 (i'm on OS10.4)

My end advise is this, unless you have a very neach use case, like myself (I really wanted it to play snes9x games on a CRT monitor that I could place in the computer room) then its not bad. I would however recomened somthing more designed for the mac, and authorised by a mac offical back in the day

danjal

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2024
After working about today I have found that it will work in classic booting, tho again games are selective. Jazz Jackrabbit 2 now does work where previously it wouldn't be recoginzed (running in pure os9 boot). To get it to work, ensure you have the following

gamesprocket 1.7.5 (mine was 1.7.3)

*if you plan to use this for os9 games, I strongly recomened you do not use this for classic 'emuation' with osx via tiger/panther but boot native

Again tho games might very

Last edited:

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
Please do! This kind of information is always beneficial to the community because there's bound to be other people in the same situation and if they search the forum and find your post, they'll find helpful answers. :)

The version of USB Overdrive that's hosted on the Mac Garden won't work with Leopard but this version for Tiger and Leopard will. ;)

Personally I'd play around with both and see which one works the best for you.
That version of usb overdrive didn't work either. Thanks for the help.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I have tested with a few games, It would seam that if you are playing a game designed for osx you are good to go, most games will recoginize it. Games like Wipeout 2097 work and it is recongized. It is a no go for OS9 Classic, I figure its missing an extension of some sort but I can not find any driver/ext for it to work. As far as emulators go, it works, again provided it was desgined for OS10 (i'm on OS10.4)

My end advise is this, unless you have a very neach use case, like myself (I really wanted it to play snes9x games on a CRT monitor that I could place in the computer room) then its not bad. I would however recomened somthing more designed for the mac, and authorised by a mac offical back in the day

After working about today I have found that it will work in classic booting, tho again games are selective. Jazz Jackrabbit 2 now does work where previously it wouldn't be recoginzed (running in pure os9 boot). To get it to work, ensure you have the following

gamesprocket 1.7.5 (mine was 1.7.3)

*if you plan to use this for os9 games, I strongly recomened you do not use this for classic 'emuation' with osx via tiger/panther but boot native

Again tho games might very

Thanks for sharing your findings with us. :)

In terms of OS X, the only game-controller that I ever required (unofficial) drivers for was funnily enough, an Xbox 360 pad - everything else has always been recognised by the operating system, so it's not necessary to ensure it has been "designed for the Mac" or "authorised" because most stuff that's been on the market since at least 2005 will work out of the box. This arcade controller that I purchased from China works with Intel and PPC macOS releases - all the way down to Tiger - and without assistance from USB Overdrive or Gamepad Companion.

Speaking of which...

That version of usb overdrive didn't work either. Thanks for the help.

...hmmm. Does it actually install on your computer or does it not detect your controller?

If it's the former then look through the downloads list and test the older releases, starting with V3.1 is probably a good bet and then working downwards if it doesn't bear fruit. How did you get on with Gamepad Companion?

danjal

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2024
Thanks for sharing your findings with us. :)

In terms of OS X, the only game-controller that I ever required (unofficial) drivers for was funnily enough, an Xbox 360 pad - everything else has always been recognised by the operating system, so it's not necessary to ensure it has been "designed for the Mac" or "authorised" because most stuff that's been on the market since at least 2005 will work out of the box. This arcade controller that I purchased from China works with Intel and PPC macOS releases - all the way down to Tiger - and without assistance from USB Overdrive or Gamepad Companion.

Speaking of which...

...hmmm. Does it actually install on your computer or does it not detect your controller?

If it's the former then look through the downloads list and test the older releases, starting with V3.1 is probably a good bet and then working downwards if it doesn't bear fruit. How did you get on with Gamepad Companion?
This controller works in native 9.2 which is a big help

danjal

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2024
In regards to Overdrive it installs, detects it but it only has the option for mapping a single Y and single X axis which would make it rather useless for moving up/down/left/right

*it just occured to me that I could do mouse axis! i'll get back to you on this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.