Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thirstydude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2016
Hey everyone! Recently, i tried to Bootcamp my 15" 2.7Ghz tMBP with the Radeon Pro 460. I tried Games like GTA V, Witcher III, Risen, The Division etc., since apart from working in the Video / Graphics / Art Sector i have a passion for PC gaming. That's why i also have a GTX 970 based gaming PC running Windows 10 at home. I was curious how the Pro 460 performs on those, so i installed them out of curiosity. Well, every game i threw at it was handled at at least medium settings, 1080p with 60 FPS stable. 30 FPS with most games maxed out / high settings. Older games maxed out with 60 FPS, you get it. Very great for a machine with this form factor!

However... i was wondering how those would perform with the newest drivers, but i shockingly discovered that AMD based Macs do NOT get the newest drivers! They're delivered only through apple.
Well that didn't stop me so i headed over to www.bootcampdrivers and downloaded the new drivers. Well, to say the results did actually shock me, if i may be this dramatic. To sum it up: games that have once run 30 FPS (capped) now run at 60, i get at least 10 FPS improvement across all games installed. Very dramatic improvements for newer games like The Division and GTA V.

This is insane and everyone interested in gaming should really try those new drivers, they give you a HUGE improvement for GPU related tasks! I kid you not, go try it out for yourself!

TL;DR:
Downloaded the new Crimson ReLive Drivers and they gave me huge performance improvements, beating the 965m.

gotta give credit to that dude running bootcampdrivers.com - he's doing great work!

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Could you run some benchmarks please (like 3dmark and friends)? Would be very interested in seeing the results. My MBP probably won't arrive before mid January unfortunately...

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
Hey everyone! Recently, i tried to Bootcamp my 15" 2.7Ghz tMBP with the Radeon Pro 460. I tried Games like GTA V, Witcher III, Risen, The Division etc., since apart from working in the Video / Graphics / Art Sector i have a passion for PC gaming. That's why i also have a GTX 970 based gaming PC running Windows 10 at home. I was curious how the Pro 460 performs on those, so i installed them out of curiosity. Well, every game i threw at it was handled at at least medium settings, 1080p with 60 FPS stable. 30 FPS with most games maxed out / high settings. Older games maxed out with 60 FPS, you get it. Very great for a machine with this form factor!

However... i was wondering how those would perform with the newest drivers, but i shockingly discovered that AMD based Macs do NOT get the newest drivers! They're delivered only through apple.
Well that didn't stop me so i headed over to www.bootcampdrivers and downloaded the new drivers. Well, to say the results did actually shock me, if i may be this dramatic. To sum it up: games that have once run 30 FPS (capped) now run at 60, i get at least 10 FPS improvement across all games installed. Very dramatic improvements for newer games like The Division and GTA V.

This is insane and everyone interested in gaming should really try those new drivers, they give you a HUGE improvement for GPU related tasks! I kid you not, go try it out for yourself!

TL;DR:
Downloaded the new Crimson ReLive Drivers and they gave me huge performance improvements, beating the 965m.
have you tried the streaming features in ReLive? Do you have Overwatch?

Reactions: powerocool

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
This is definitely interesting... can you run some benchmarks? Does the heat increase at all?

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
When i get my computer later this month, i can try to run some benchmarks on osx, win with bootcamp drivers, and win with amd drivers

thirstydude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2016
update: yes i can do some benchmarks, will update when i've done them
no unfortunately i don't have overwatch and i didn't try the streaming features as i can't seem to find those features.. neither can i find this "chill" thing... but to be honest that never interested me, what i was interested in was pure performance. benchmarks coming soon :)

heat actually decreases, i've had the gpu constantly hitting 90° and the cpu got 100°. after the driver update i got slightly better results (gpu peaks at around 70° and cpu at around 80° while gaming) but i have to admit, i ran hour-long stresstests after i got it, this time i was just playing games for an hour or something. but the temperatures within this hour definitely show some improvements!

EDIT:

i'm back with some brand new crack:

Attachments

• IMG_5071.jpeg
    IMG_5071.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 1,316
  • IMG_5069.jpeg
    IMG_5069.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 1,032
Last edited:

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
update: yes i can do some benchmarks, will update when i've done them
no unfortunately i don't have overwatch and i didn't try the streaming features as i can't seem to find those features.. neither can i find this "chill" thing... but to be honest that never interested me, what i was interested in was pure performance. benchmarks coming soon :)

heat actually decreases, i've had the gpu constantly hitting 90° and the cpu got 100°. after the driver update i got slightly better results (gpu peaks at around 70° and cpu at around 80° while gaming) but i have to admit, i ran hour-long stresstests after i got it, this time i was just playing games for an hour or something. but the temperatures within this hour definitely show some improvements!

EDIT:

i'm back with some brand new crack:
The streaming should be in the ReLive tab in the radeon settings page
upload_2016-12-11_15-19-34.png

Reactions: powerocool

thirstydude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2016
alright heads up to everyone:

everything is working fine now, i downloaded the amd cleanup utility since the bug was DDU related;
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

restarted after running the tool, installed the latest bootcampdrivers.com package and boom! all good!

(for those of you wanting to chill: i can't find that stuff in the settings, relive tab is working fine...)

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
Could you try BF1 in 1080p, graphics set to auto and vsync off in Both single player and multiplayer.

Tested Battlefield 1 campaign : (not perfect pictures)

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-12 at 6.34.23 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2016-12-12 at 6.34.23 PM (4).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2016-12-12 at 6.34.23 PM (3).jpeg

forgive me, I know they are bad pictures, but now we at least know the performance of radeon pro 455 under windows 10 using latest AMD driver (from www.bootcampdrivers.com).
In the game at medium settings (1080p res) it will run between 43-48 fps, well I don't think it's comparable to a GTX960M and also I think even radeon pro 460 is not near level of a GTX965M (CMIIW)
it is a professional graphics card.
but I'm trully happy about this new 2016 MacBook Pro, at least this still can play 2016 games above 30 fps :)

New add :
Metal Gear : The Phantom Pain
also above 40 fps

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-12 at 6.34.23 PM (6).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2016-12-12 at 6.34.23 PM (5).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-12 at 6.34.23 PM (8).jpeg

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Tested Battlefield 1 campaign :
In the game at medium settings (1080p res) it will run between 43-48 fps, well I don't think it's comparable to a
Interesting. You get exactly the amount of performance that you would get with GTX 960M in this game(1-2 FPS more actually). And that is in DX11 mode. Enabling DX12 would make the performance part between those two GPUs in plus for Radeon Pro GPU.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Patrick-Photo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
Tested Battlefield 1 campaign : (not perfect pictures)

View attachment 677527 View attachment 677528 View attachment 677529

forgive me, I know they are bad pictures, but now we at least know the performance of radeon pro 455 under windows 10 using latest AMD driver (from www.bootcampdrivers.com).
In the game at medium settings (1080p res) it will run between 43-48 fps, well I don't think it's comparable to a GTX960M and also I think even radeon pro 460 is not near level of a GTX965M (CMIIW)
it is a professional graphics card.
but I'm trully happy about this new 2016 MacBook Pro, at least this still can play 2016 games above 30 fps :)

New add :
Metal Gear : The Phantom Pain
also above 40 fps

View attachment 677530 View attachment 677531
View attachment 677532

Not bad, thanks for the test! The 460 should be a bit higher :). I've googled and found that the 965m handles BF1 on 1080p at High settings with around 50fps and the 960m around 40fps., care to test that by any chance :)?

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016

TL;DR:

gotta give credit to that dude running bootcampdrivers.com - he's doing great work!
Have you been able to record/stream?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.