Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
i plan on backing my 13 pro via iTunes and then restoring the backup to my new 15 Pro, My question is this. Since the 15 Pro has no sim tray. How do I transfer my phone number to the new phone? I saw some videos on YouTube that shows that if you hold the new 15 Pro next to the older phone then a Prompt will pop up asking you whether you want to transfer you phone number to the new phone. Does that work with AT&T prepaid or am I required to go to an AT&T store to get my number moved to the new 15 Pro?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
That function is there and from what i know it works with fancy carriers, while mvnos block that function.

Nevertheless, i would sign in into your carriers app to get help. For me on cricket it was a in app chat 5 min and done because tapping failed (p sim to e sim).

For my wife on the same cricket tapping worked because she did esim to esim.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
On ATT, under Settings > Cellular, there is a "Convert to eSIM" option. Have not tapped that, so no idea if will work, but might give it a try on the old phone before powering up the new phone.

LarryCK

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2022
I saw some videos on YouTube that shows that if you hold the new 15 Pro next to the older phone then a Prompt will pop up asking you whether you want to transfer you phone number to the new phone. Does that work with AT&T prepaid

Yes, it works. I have AT&T prepaid and this is what I did when I went from a 13 pro (sim) to a 14 pro (esim). It worked again when I went from 14 pro to 15 pro max.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Yes, it works. I have AT&T prepaid and this is what I did when I went from a 13 pro (sim) to a 14 pro (esim). It worked again when I went from 14 pro to 15 pro max.
I plan on restoring my encrypted backup of my 13 Pro via iTunes to the new 15 Pro, Should I basically do the restore first and then do that phone transfer procedure? How do I force that pop up to come up once I restore my backup to the new 15 Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.