Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Well it still offers the option >.> I did it through Disk Utility and it never warned or prevented me from doing it...

Well, if you do this yourself, in a fairly advanced way, it's on you... It's like Disk utility doesn't warn you HFS+ formatted drives won't work in Windows. Same thing.

Reactions: chabig

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
A month later I'm still experiencing these blasted hangs several times a day but now I've narrowed down the cause a bit more.

I had Activity Manager running during the last bad one and noticed I only had 1GB of RAM left out of my 8GB. I counted up the memory on my major apps which was about 2GB total and kernel_task was using over 3GB and 146 threads... I'm not sure if thats putting it in resource hog territory or not or if theres a memory leak going on there.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I know I'm repeating over and over again like a broken record, but your problems are never going to be solved until you follow the advice I gave in post 7 of this thread.

It's the internal platter-based hard drive that's slowing you down.
Put together an SSD "external booter" via USB3, and it will feel like a new Mac.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
Actually I am having the exact same issues with macOS Sierra. Time Machine backups seem to trigger the lagging and 10-20 sec complete freese (very severe lag) except for the mouse pointer... then it gradually eases and starts to work again.
I see this mostly coming out of screen saver after having left the machine for some time...

Anyone any idea other than reinstalling everything?

In addition to that, mounting AFP shares doesn't work at all and trying to do so results in a spinning beachball forever.

If its the exact same thing as me then your only real option is to backup your data, format the HDD and reinstall High Sierra. I also suggest NOT installing the new APFS+ file system until its been worked on a bit more, it isn't even compatible with Time Machine for pete's sake!

-Spinning beachball cursor every several seconds and after every action
-iTunes music suddenly stops playing, resumes, then stops again
-Entire system stops responding except for the cursor for upwards of 10 seconds repeatedly
-Boot times become idiotically long (5-10 minutes or more!)
[doublepost=1516969332][/doublepost]
I know I'm repeating over and over again like a broken record, but your problems are never going to be solved until you follow the advice I gave in post 7 of this thread.

It's the internal platter-based hard drive that's slowing you down.
Put together an SSD "external booter" via USB3, and it will feel like a new Mac.

This has nothing to do with a hard drive being slow or not having an SSD. I have an SSD and I am having the same issues. The whole system performs extremely fast in 99% of the time. When this thing happens, it seems like dead... not slow... dead. This is not an HDD related issue.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Actually I am having the exact same issues with macOS Sierra. Time Machine backups seem to trigger the lagging and 10-20 sec complete freese (very severe lag) except for the mouse pointer... then it gradually eases and starts to work again.
I see this mostly coming out of screen saver after having left the machine for some time...

Anyone any idea other than reinstalling everything?

In addition to that, mounting AFP shares doesn't work at all and trying to do so results in a spinning beachball forever.

[doublepost=1516969332][/doublepost]

This has nothing to do with a hard drive being slow or not having an SSD. I have an SSD and I am having the same issues. The whole system performs extremely fast in 99% of the time. When this thing happens, it seems like dead... not slow... dead. This is not an HDD related issue.

I know you feel its Time Machine causing it on your end but for me its almost always when I'm using Safari... I'll be working offline all day and my system runs perfectly, I load up Safari and browse for a while and I get Hang City.

Whats REALLY WEIRD is when I was Dual-Booting to Mountain Lion the problem somehow followed me over there! I know my HDD is in perfect order and my RAM is working correctly... my only thought is its somehow a video card problem and all the graphics memory is being eaten up by something.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
I'm not using Safari so we could sort out the poor fella :) I'm not sure if Chrome is using WebKit, but if yes, this could be related to that instead of Safari itself. As for TimeMachine, each time I leave my Mac unattended and the screen goes to sleep, waking it up takes somewhere from 20 seconds to a minute... the mouse moves, but everything is just stopped and slowly control comes back up to being normal again. Every time I check when the last TM backup occurred it's just a couple of minutes before that...

I'm also thinking of some network related thing here (or in the kernel) because since I moved to Sierra, I am unable to mount my NAS using AFP. Every try results in an endless beachball. Even restarting the Finder doesn't help. SMB works fine however. Now, TM is using AFP to connect to my TimeCapsule... I was wondering how it is working there :)

What GPU drivers are you using? Stock Apple or NVIDIA Web Drivers? I use the latter... will test switching to the stock Apple for a while... maybe it's just a driver issue with the NVIDIA Web Drivers... I'll keep this thread updated if I find something or the problem goes away...

I know you feel its Time Machine causing it on your end but for me its almost always when I'm using Safari... I'll be working offline all day and my system runs perfectly, I load up Safari and browse for a while and I get Hang City.

Whats REALLY WEIRD is when I was Dual-Booting to Mountain Lion the problem somehow followed me over there! I know my HDD is in perfect order and my RAM is working correctly... my only thought is its somehow a video card problem and all the graphics memory is being eaten up by something.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014

Here's something else to consider: your HD is a Seagate. I work at an IT company and I can't tell you how many Seagate HDs we replace even when the SMART data is reporting as ok. They tend to develop read and seek errors which cause the beachballs you're describing as well as a number of other issues.

Keep in mind that this isn't limited to macOS either...we pretty regularly see Windows machines that will not boot Windows, clone that blasted Seagate to a new Western Digital HD, and voila the OS boots with no other fixes.

Another thing to note: these read and seek errors can cause all sorts of OS corruption that should be repaired (again this applies to both macOS and Windows.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
Ok, I think we should get off the bad HDD bandwagon... I have an 512GB Samsung SSD in the Mac Pro... does it have seek errors? I'm pretty confident that this is not an HDD related issue.

As for Seagate HDDs in general, I must agree...

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
Ok, I think we should get off the bad HDD bandwagon... I have an 512GB Samsung SSD in the Mac Pro... does it have seek errors? I'm pretty confident that this is not an HDD related issue.

As for Seagate HDDs in general, I must agree...

That reply was specifically for Princess Cake....I hadn't read your response but your SSD should be fine.

I can confirm having issues with AFP shares as well and causing lockups, honestly have had issues with it since they updated AFP way back when and all of the "fixes" that have been pushed haven't done much. SMB works fine finally like you said.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
That reply was specifically for Princess Cake....I hadn't read your response but your SSD should be fine.

I can confirm having issues with AFP shares as well and causing lockups, honestly have had issues with it since they updated AFP way back when and all of the "fixes" that have been pushed haven't done much. SMB works fine finally like you said.

I know :) I was just adding this as I'm having the same issue and have an SSD...

AFP was working superfine with El Capitan until I upgraded to Sierra. Now it's badly broken :(

I now switched to the Apple drivers for my NVIDIA GPU... we'll see what it brings, but this problem is getting SOOO annoying I could hardly find words to describe how much and stay polite.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
I honestly don't think the GPU drivers are going to be the solution. Your Time Machine is running over AFP and from what you're describing it locks up every time TM kicks off. What if you try disabling TM for a day or so and see what happens?

I switched to TM backups to external somewhat for this reason but also because restoring a backup over the network can be dreadfully slow.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
I honestly don't think the GPU drivers are going to be the solution. Your Time Machine is running over AFP and from what you're describing it locks up every time TM kicks off. What if you try disabling TM for a day or so and see what happens?

I switched to TM backups to external somewhat for this reason but also because restoring a backup over the network can be dreadfully slow.

Actually it's not _every time TM kicks off_, but pretty much always shortly after a TM backup. I can't tell for sure that every backup w/ screen saver does this. If I modify something in TM settings and this triggers an immediate backup (with a 2 minute countdown) and I work on the machine, there's no noticeable slowdown from backup start to finish... Ehh..
[doublepost=1516982667][/doublepost]Also weird is that I have a MacBook Pro that is also on Sierra and backs up to the same TimeCapsule that doesn't show any of these symptoms...

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
Generally you'd have to keep an eye on the backup and see if does it when it enters that verification stage (it mentions it in the progress indicator).

On a side note, have you reset PRAM and SMC recently?

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
Without exception, when control is slowly coming back, looking into Activity Monitor, I see "kernel_task" at the top with %CPU way over 90%...

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
Try an SMC reset. I had a huge issue with my MacBook Pro locking up at random when connected to some external monitors. Turned out to be kernel_task and nothing fixed it other than SMC reset.

While you're at it you might as well do PRAM as well.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
No. What's really weird is that Fisherman has told you several times exactly what your problem is, how to fix it, and yet you continue to run off in other directions.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
No. What's really weird is that Fisherman has told you several times exactly what your problem is, how to fix it, and yet you continue to run off in other directions.

What's really weird is that you keep insisting on something that is obviously not the case (although it could be, but has really really really small chances). I have the same problem and have an SSD... now what?
[doublepost=1516983399][/doublepost]
Try an SMC reset. I had a huge issue with my MacBook Pro locking up at random when connected to some external monitors. Turned out to be kernel_task and nothing fixed it other than SMC reset.

While you're at it you might as well do PRAM as well.

I did all of this when I first ran into this after upgrading... unfortunately, it did absolutely nothing :(

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
Honestly what this sounds like is the same symptom caused by two completely different issues.

Princess Cake's issue is more than likely hardware (HD) especially if it's following to another OS on the same hardware.

Andreaux's sounds like a software issue.

Andreaux

macrumors member
May 8, 2016
Honestly what this sounds like is the same symptom caused by two completely different issues.

Princess Cake's issue is more than likely hardware (HD) especially if it's following to another OS on the same hardware.

Andreaux's sounds like a software issue.

Right, with the problem following OSes, you might be right, however, both seem to be somehow connected to the network stack (Safari is and TM is as well).

In another thread, someone suggested to turn off IPv6 AUTOMATIC to Local Link Only... now I made 2 changes... if the problem goes away, I won't be able to tell which solved it :)

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
IPv6 has been wreaking some havoc in Windows and some routers as well, not a bad idea to disable until it becomes commonplace.
[doublepost=1516984484][/doublepost]Back to the HD discussion, even if the Seagate isn't causing problems (which I can all but guarantee), I don't recall the network stack having that many issues in 10.8 and certainly not with AFP at that point.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI

How about you stop trying to make me buy useless crap for my Mac? This is a 2012 iMac with a perfectly fine hard drive and it now has problems when running Mountain Lion which is an OS EARLIER than it even shipped with.

NONE of this happened until I upgraded to High Sierra, now its almost manifesting itself like a virus wherever I go... I can downgrade my OS, do a clean install, wipe the drive, reset my PRAM and SMC, and it STILL happens. If the HDD was going bad the problem would be happening more often instead of just at very specific times when Safari is loaded.

Take this scenario, I can run Parallels with Windows 10 for over 16 hours (Fallout marathon) and not have a single bit of lag. The Parallels virtual drive takes up half of my 1TB hard drive so if any of that data is bad Parallels would be acting goofy and sluggish.

I close down Parallels, come back to High Sierra and watch a little YouTube/Browse Facebook and 20-30 minutes later oh look everything is beachballing.

So please, take your SSD sales-pitch and go blow your nose with it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You asked for help. Good ideas were offered. You ignored them all. You’re on your own now. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.