Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamHaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
Hi Macrumors family, just recently landed in this forum and sorry if posting this thread on a wrong place.

I really need help from the experts with my new M1 Macbook pro. I'm getting this error since the day one, even my old macbook pro was working good than this one.

I recive this error after a day or 2 when i restart and refresh my macbook pro.

Screenshot 2022-08-04 at 10.13.19 AM.png

AdamHaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
Sure, but where i can find this? help would be appreciated.. Also! i usually get this error when ever i use any of the Adobe products such as Photoshop or Dreamweaver.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Get rid of CleanMyMac.
It's not an "error."
It's a result of having an Apple Silicon machine with only 8GB RAM, the system will swap memory as needed. Close (i.e., "Quit") apps you aren't using.
What matters is if the machine is performing to your satisfaction, as there is little you can do about the memory other than buy a machine with more RAM.
Adobe recommends 16GB RAM, but the M1 machines can still perform quite well with 8GB RAM, because it compresses memory and swaps memory to the SSD quite fast.

Last edited:

AdamHaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
Get rid of CleanMyMac.
It's not an "error."
It's a result of having an Apple Silicon machine with only 8GB RAM, the system will swap memory as needed. Close apps you aren't using.

I thought Macbook with M1 8gb is a heavy machine, isn't?

AdamHaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
Get rid of CleanMyMac.
It's not an "error."
It's a result of having an Apple Silicon machine with only 8GB RAM, the system will swap memory as needed. Close (i.e., "Quit") apps you aren't using.
Alright! can you suggest any other best app instead CleanMyMac?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Alright! can you suggest any other best app instead CleanMyMac?
I don't use any such app. The built-in securities and capabilities of MacOS are all that are needed, IMO.

Yes, the M1 is a fairly "heavy" capable machine, but they offer higher RAM options for a reason.
btw, I added some more text to my original comment, which might be helpful.

Last edited:

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
It appears that you only have 8GB RAM. The little box at the bottom centre shows Physical Memory (8GB) with 6.78GB used, Cached Files 1.15GB that totals 7.93GB Minus Swap 3.05GB

Clearly you do not have enough RAM for the processes you are running.
Things like CleanMyMac Monitor alone is using more than half a Gigabyte. It's kind of paradoxical that the CMMX helper app is telling you that you are short of system resources while using up 6.25% of them itself.
There really is no solution to this other than quitting some of the apps you are not using at any one time. (Quitting not closing)

A handy trick is to press the Command and Tab buttons togeather. This will display a list of apps still running. Let go of the Tab button, slide your mouse to any app you don't need and while still holding the Command key tap Q. You will see that app disappear from the list when quit.

Really these days 16GB RAM is minimum requirements.

I consider myself to be a modest user, here is a screen shot of my Activity Summary; Notice no swap.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 2.19.40 pm.png

I really feel that it's unconscionable behavior by Apple sales staff to sell an M1 with less than 16GB RAM these days. It's like the old days when Apple Stores were selling MacBook Airs with only 125GB internal storage. Yes, they were entry level and cheap but buyers filled them with media in a couple of months and had to look for portable storage options.

Last edited:

AdamHaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
I don't use any such app. The built-in securities and capabilities of MacOS are all that are needed, IMO.

Yes, the M1 Pro is a fairly "heavy" capable machine, but they offer higher RAM options for a reason.
It's not just the error prompt, my Mac also
It appears that you only have 8GB RAM. The little box at the bottom centre shows Physical Memory (8GB) with 6.78GB used, Cached Files 1.15GB that totals 7.93GB Minus Swap 3.05GB

Clearly you do not have enough RAM for the processes you are running.
Things like CleanMyMac Monitor alone is using more than half a Gigabyte. It's kind of paradoxical that the CMMX helper app is telling you that you are short of system resources while using up 6.25% of them itself.
There really is no solution to this other than quitting some of the apps you are not using at any one time. (Quitting not closing)

A handy trick is to press the Command and Tab buttons togeather. This will display a list of apps still running. Let go of the Tab button, slide your mouse to any app you don't need and while still holding the Command key tap Q. You will see that app disappear from the list when quit.

Really these days 16GB RAM is minimum requirements.

I consider myself to be a modest user, here is a screen shot of my Activity Summary; Notice no swap.

View attachment 2038889

Thanks for such detailed reply, i got it that my 8gb memory is not enough for what tasks i usually perform.

In my earlier "Ram" tab screenshot, i can see the firefox browser is taking lots of memory, is that obvious?

AdamHaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022

Yes, the M1 is a fairly "heavy" capable machine, but they offer higher RAM options for a reason.
I got it... thanks for your help.

Reactions: wilberforce

AdamHaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
Just look at the memory pressure graph in activity monitor. If it’s green then you’re good to go. Don’t worry about anything else.

If it’s constantly orange then you need to close some browser tabs or programs.

Thanks, it's helpful.

tpannier

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
Belgium
Your MacBook will always use all the available RAM, because why wouldn't you use all available resources? It would be a waste not to use it.
Simply don't worry about it. Your MacBook is perfectly capable of taking care of itself. No need for apps such as CleanMyMac.
If you notice slow behavior, you can quit some apps. (Right click on the app icon in the dock, then press Quit.)

chengengaun

Contributor
Feb 7, 2012
Your Mac performs fine, as others have mentioned. If you want to find out more about macOS memory management, I quote myself below (sorry that I have posted this many times).

It seems that your usage is pretty normal and 16GB would handle it fine. The high RAM usage is an inherent feature of macOS's memory management system which I attempt to describe below, do correct me if I am wrong.

macOS (whose kernel is derived from Mach kernel) features "a fully integrated virtual memory system" that is always on. The virtual memory system comprises the physical RAM itself (the expensive ones) and drive storage (also expensive but much cheaper). The memory paging scheme maximises system performance by looking at app profiles and memory usage pattern, then preemptively loads pages (memory blocks) which the apps might use. This usage pattern can be built up over time as you use the app, or the app developers can specify it.

The paging system is configured such that it loads and retains pages in memory. Pages that are recently accessed are marked as active, otherwise they become inactive. When more memory is required by apps and there are no longer free memory, inactive pages are removed to make way for new active ones. The removal can be a complete purge, or they may be compressed or swapped. The exception is wired memory which is required by the kernel and its data structure, and cannot be paged out. This arrangement maximises system performance since loading data into memory takes much longer than paging existing ones in memory. Hence the adage "unused memory is wasted memory".

The memory pressure chart in Activity Monitor is the summary of the above interactions. Activity Monitor can indicate "high memory usage" but low on memory pressure, simply because of the qualities described above. Memory pressure turns yellow or red when macOS cannot efficiently use memory (because of high swap/compression-decompression caused by lack of RAM).

I was looking into this to understand my own use case. I use R/Python to wrangle data for data science purposes, which can run into hundreds of GBs. That surely overwhelms the 64GB of RAM on my M1 Max isn't it? However, the operations run fine (just takes a while). This is because most of the data stays on the disk and only a portion of them are operated upon by R (hence marked as active) at any one time. Nonetheless if I look at Activity Monitor, it will indicate R memory usage as 200+GB, but the memory pressure is yellow. It is also interesting to see the spikes in memory pressure into red as certain calculations are being performed, or lookups being matched, so understanding this helps in code optimisation exercises - e.g. deciding when to chunk datasets/operations or use RDBMS's. After the script runs successfully, memory usage will remain high even after explicit object removal and garbage collection commands (i.e. tell R/macOS that the pages are no longer required). When other apps request for pages, R's memory usage will go down as macOS purges the inactive memory to make way for other apps.

Hope that helps!
You can see here that it takes quite a lot to make macOS run out of memory (mine is a 64GB version).

Reactions: tpannier

AdamHaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
If you trash the clean my mac app which is useless anyway you'll be using .75GB less ram, less CPU and less disk.
The problem is this app and not your Mac!
Nice tip, i have closed it now.. and lets see the results.

AdamHaider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
Your Mac performs fine, as others have mentioned. If you want to find out more about macOS memory management, I quote myself below (sorry that I have posted this many times).

You can see here that it takes quite a lot to make macOS run out of memory (mine is a 64GB version).
Thanks for that detailed reply.

Reactions: chengengaun

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Is it really a surprising that you are getting memory pressures with 8GB of RAM? We really need to get off the narrative that just because you can get by with 8GB of RAM, doesn't mean that is the best to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.