Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Get rid of CleanMyMac.
It's not an "error."
It's a result of having an Apple Silicon machine with only 8GB RAM, the system will swap memory as needed. Close (i.e., "Quit") apps you aren't using.
What matters is if the machine is performing to your satisfaction, as there is little you can do about the memory other than buy a machine with more RAM.
Adobe recommends 16GB RAM, but the M1 machines can still perform quite well with 8GB RAM, because it compresses memory and swaps memory to the SSD quite fast.
This is correct. I have a 16GB M1 Macbook Pro and I used to get the same error. I got rid of CleanMyMac and I have had no issues at all.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi Macrumors family, just recently landed in this forum and sorry if posting this thread on a wrong place.

I really need help from the experts with my new M1 Macbook pro. I'm getting this error since the day one, even my old macbook pro was working good than this one.

I recive this error after a day or 2 when i restart and refresh my macbook pro.

View attachment 2038870
What's your memory specs?

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
It appears that you only have 8GB RAM. The little box at the bottom centre shows Physical Memory (8GB) with 6.78GB used, Cached Files 1.15GB that totals 7.93GB Minus Swap 3.05GB

Clearly you do not have enough RAM for the processes you are running.
Things like CleanMyMac Monitor alone is using more than half a Gigabyte. It's kind of paradoxical that the CMMX helper app is telling you that you are short of system resources while using up 6.25% of them itself.
There really is no solution to this other than quitting some of the apps you are not using at any one time. (Quitting not closing)

A handy trick is to press the Command and Tab buttons togeather. This will display a list of apps still running. Let go of the Tab button, slide your mouse to any app you don't need and while still holding the Command key tap Q. You will see that app disappear from the list when quit.

Really these days 16GB RAM is minimum requirements.

I consider myself to be a modest user, here is a screen shot of my Activity Summary; Notice no swap.

View attachment 2038889

I really feel that it's unconscionable behavior by Apple sales staff to sell an M1 with less than 16GB RAM these days. It's like the old days when Apple Stores were selling MacBook Airs with only 125GB internal storage. Yes, they were entry level and cheap but buyers filled them with media in a couple of months and had to look for portable storage options.
Yeah I even swap a lot when using VMs and running certain Rosetta apps (tsk tsk What's App and FB Messenger).. For anyone doing virtualisation and connecting to Dual HiDPI displays.. 32GB is the option to go.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Is it really a surprising that you are getting memory pressures with 8GB of RAM? We really need to get off the narrative that just because you can get by with 8GB of RAM, doesn't mean that is the best to buy.
I agree, but this thread is more about what to do with a M1 machine with 8GB that has already been bought, not which is the best to buy in the future, which would be a totally different narrative.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Is it really a surprising that you are getting memory pressures with 8GB of RAM? We really need to get off the narrative that just because you can get by with 8GB of RAM, doesn't mean that is the best to buy.
That’s right. There’s a YouTuber that uses a tag line at the end of his videos which is common sense, Buy it nice or buy it twice.

it’s unfortunate too many people get lulled into getting only 8gb of ram because its supposedly “enough”. I don’t want enough, I want a comfortable ceiling

Reactions: Wizec and Rodan52

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
That’s right. There’s a YouTuber that uses a tag line at the end of his videos which is common sense, Buy it nice or buy it twice.

it’s unfortunate too many people get lulled into getting only 8gb of ram because its supposedly “enough”. I don’t want enough, I want a comfortable ceiling
That’s a nice, catchy version of “penny wise, pound foolish.”

When I was younger I would buy “minimum viable” specs, then later regret it.

Reactions: Rodan52

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Just to summarise; 8GB of RAM is just enough for average use but a bit inadequate for todays demanding applications if you run a lot of them at the same time. You mentioned Firefox, Google Chrome too is a big CPU/RAM hog. So the answer is simply don't run them at the same time.
Check the levels in Activity Monitor occasionally to learn which apps are using the most Memory and try to run them on their own. Quit the apps you are not using regularily, using the Command + Tab method I described earlier.
Lastly, going back to the beginning of this thread, I notice that the notification you pictured is from the CMM Assistant.
Unlike everyone else I'm not going to say you should get rid of CleanMyMac, I have it myself and you probably paid good money for it BUT you can quit the assistant. CMM has some handy features just take care to understand what it's about to do before you use any of its custom functions.
Open the Assistant from the Menu Bar, go down to the Cogwheel (bottom right), click on it and scroll down to Quit and quit it. That will save you about half a gigabyte of RAM immediately and you wont get any more annoying notifications.
The other big memory hog is CMM Live Protection, it uses CPU and RAM resources if you have it on. I have mine turned off because I can do a Malware Scan any time I want using a different app. Again, you only need to Quit the Assistant to turn this off. Of course it will startup again any time you launch CMM so you will need to quit it after each use.
Background app assistants are real resource hogs.
Alternatively you can turn off Protection completely in CMM Preferences, see below.

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 8.31.57 am.png

Remember it will still run when you use Smart Scan but not all the time in the background.
**Like all "cleaning" apps CMM is a tool which can be very useful but can also be dangerous if used the wrong way.
Last but not least, make a complete backup of your device. Time Machine is built in and for the cost of an external hard drive will provide you with valuable insurance against accidentally losing your precious data.

Last edited:

BobHyatt

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2019
you don't need such bloatware. CleanMyMac is more about convincing you to buy software tools than it is about helping your mac run better. Get rid of it. Don't pay attention to the cleanmymac popups that show up on some web sites. If I see that, I run from the web site and don't go back...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.