Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
I would also recommend the zoom lens route or a really nice prime telephoto 400 or better. Watch the surfing events on TV and you see alot of long glass with tripods. Surfing mags seem to have both type of shots. I shoot my son surfing using a 300 2.8 with 1.4 and 2x converters and that is marginally enough. It is a good start depending on where you are on the beach in relation to the surfers. The zoom or telephoto would give a lot of use for other things as well. Racing, sports concerts and the like. Canon or Sigma make nice long lenses that range from outrageous to affordable. Get a good tripod or at least monopod to start with and you are on your way.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
Underwater housing are insanely expensive. However, getting a real housing will allow you to get good pictures, as opposed to a fancy Ziplock bag.

By trial and error I have learned that my housing is good to almost 2x it's rated depth. (130 feet; tested to 200). I do not advise this. :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm wondering how the op decided to go... meh still taking shots from da beach w/ tripod...:rolleyes:

nssaoceanav1wz9.jpg

I'm not trying to get personal, but the colours in that photo look so messed up. Your other water photos (and there are a LOT of them ;)) usually don't look like that, so I'm trying to understand what you did so differently.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Don't worry, Abstract... I'm a relatively new photo hobbyist and I appreciate comments and criticism - want to improve my skills. I had to double check because I'm using lightroom beta to edit my recent pics and I've noticed some discrepancies in images, looking somewhat different in other apps after export...:)

but the water changes in Florida winter as it cools down, much less organisms tinting the water green and brownish so we get some incredible tropical colors of blue for a few months, especially on offshore wind conditions like this day in November - same day as above picture.

oacontestik0.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.