Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I'm not sure the others who have chimed in have succinctly identified the part of this "experiment" that makes it break down. So I'll put it this way:

You can't "take the same shot" in this scenario if you "mask off the edges." In order to get the same shot, you'll have to then step back from your subject. Stepping back from the subject increases the distance over which the camera has to be steady and therefore increases camera shake.

This is another good way to look at it.

Whatever way it makes the most sense to you, the fact remains that you have to consider the effective focal length, not the actual focal length, when calculating 1/focal length shutter speeds.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Well, it is a stabilized lens. The OIS is good for 2-3 stops, so 1/50 should be OK. At least he shouldn't have to shoot at 1/200.

well, the boat was moving (presumably), so one way or another, 1/50 is too slow. unless the boat was a mile away, in which case it'd look soft anyway.

I'll also say that I have taken several classes at the local community college lately (in Santa Fe, NM, where the community college has EXCELLENT faculty), and all of them have said of digital images, "You will always need to sharpen them with Photoshop." Do others find this to be true, or have I just managed to find some obsessive compulsive teachers?

when shooting RAW, yes, you have to sharpen. how much varies from camera to camera and shot to shot. in jpeg, most people have in-camera sharpening enabled, so usually it's not an issue.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have to read over each one more carefully later on.

I did pick up the book you guys recommended, "Understanding Exposure". I am nearly all the way done with it and I will have to say it has helped me quite a bit in understanding how, and why to compose a shot with a such and such exposure. I may actually go and purchase it so I have it for future reference.

I was going to go out in the next few days to try and get some more shots but it seems like it just wants to rain here for the next week or so, so I won't be able to put all my newly learned techniques and tips to the test.

Again guys, thanks for the more then helpful and information responses!

Also I made some adjustments to that original photo using Aperture. It came out better as far as sharpness and I added a little bit more warmth to the image.
Original
3461182493_f72f6dace9_o.jpg

Corrected
3462095014_868e529415_b.jpg

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I was going to go out in the next few days to try and get some more shots but it seems like it just wants to rain here for the next week or so, so I won't be able to put all my newly learned techniques and tips to the test.
Here is another tip, don't afraid to shoot during rain or before or after rain, it will give some usually boring scene an interesting twist, of course don't get your camera wet on the process :rolleyes:

jubach

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
getting a sharp picture is what i am trying to master.. sometimes the results are fantastic and sometimes not really.. it's a challenging thing also to take pictures on a gloomy or rainy day...

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Here is another tip, don't afraid to shoot during rain or before or after rain, it will give some usually boring scene an interesting twist, of course don't get your camera wet on the process :rolleyes:

It cleared up a bit in the afternoon here but long after the sunset, so I decided to stay in and finish reading the book everyone recommended, and I will have to say, I have a much better understanding of why and when to use Aperture, Shutter Speed and Iso. I picked up a few other books while I was at the library so I am going to read through them as well.

And I have my first photo "shoot" next week if things go to plan, my long time friend has volunteered to take the after noon off and allow me to take some portrait shots of her.

I am going to pick up the tripod from B&H that I wanted, along with the shutter release. Figure I need those couple tools in my bag asap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.