Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chamorga

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2021
I was able to get the certificate into system roots with Terminal (security add-trusted-cert -d -r trustRoot -k /System/Library/Keychains/SystemRootCertificates.keychain 'ISRG Root X1.der'). Could not do it with Keychain, it would only go to system.
Os 10.6.8, Macbook 3,1.
Unfortunately I still cannot browse the web with Safari or hit the Apple Store. I installed ArcticFox for web browsing, it seems to work pretty good. Would be nice to get to the store again.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
I was able to get the certificate into system roots with Terminal (security add-trusted-cert -d -r trustRoot -k /System/Library/Keychains/SystemRootCertificates.keychain 'ISRG Root X1.der'). Could not do it with Keychain, it would only go to system.
Os 10.6.8, Macbook 3,1.
Unfortunately I still cannot browse the web with Safari or hit the Apple Store. I installed ArcticFox for web browsing, it seems to work pretty good. Would be nice to get to the store again.
seems to me that  cut off access of *iCloud and apple store programs
from Montana lion and previous osxs this season.
one can use a web browser like firefox legacy for full website viewing with all the script menus.

*beside iCloud.com i think

chamorga

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2021
Thanks. The version of Firefox that I found doesn't seem to work either but ArcticFox seems to do the basics. I like the macbook because it still has the SuperDrive. My Macbook Air 2014 can cover everything else I guess.

chamorga

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2021
Quick update, Firefox 48 does work on these machines. Macbook3,1 with 10.6.8. That plus ArcticFox seems to do the job. iTunes store seems to also work. That's about all I use.

MacUserSince93

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
DOWNLOADING INSTALLING AND SETTING THE NEW SECURITY CERTIFICATE FOR GOOGLE CHROME ON EL CAPITAN

This worked 100% on my 2008 Mac Pro Tower running El Capitan, which is extremely fast and reliable for its age, but I cannot install Sierra on it.

Instructions

Go to
https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/

Root Certificates
Active
ISRG Root X1

Find the newest of this file link (first on the page)…
“Signed by ISRG Root X1: der, pem, txt”
Click on pem to download the correct one.

(I have my browser set to always download to the Desktop so I can quickly find the stuff I just downloaded, and I put it where it goes later).

Open Keychain Utility in the Applications > Utilities folder
Enter your password every time asked.

Click System (upper left)

Drag the new Security Certificate from the Desktop into the Security page in the open Keychain Window.
Double click on the new Security Certificate.
Click the little arrow next to “Trust” at the top to expand it.

Choose “Always Trust” in the menu next to
“When using this certificate:”

You can choose “Always Trust” because it literally just came from the website of the company that creates the Trusted Certificates.

Last edited:
Reactions: chamorga
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.