Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Hi Guys.

I have a quick question let say I have a video clip I have duplicated the video clip which I have placed on top of the original clip. In the original clip I have made some colour corrections and the duplicate clip I have added a draw mask and I have completed the Mask by adding all the dots, now if I don't want to animate it, how do I see if it is making the required changes ? how do I see that it is working? should I select the bottom clip and play that clip will it also show the mask that I have added on the duplicate clip on the top ? Can someone please tell me?

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
NOT ctrl V, just plain V. It merely disables the clip i.e. switches it on/off, nothing else. You can see the command when you right-click anything in the timeline.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
NOT ctrl V, just plain V. It merely disables the clip i.e. switches it on/off, nothing else. You can see the command when you right-click anything in the timeline.

So couple of show stopper for me when I apply the colour grading to the original clip and then I duplicate that clip and add a mask to the duplicate clip increase the exposure, apply a tracker and then click on the bottom clip and play, both the clip conflict with each other as in the mask plays differently with the tracker and below that even the original video plays and also two audio play creating an echo ?

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Without any real information as to project format, file formats, OS and FC versions, not seeing the timeline etc. etc. etc. it's nothing but a blind guessing game. But everything points to you at least having moved the clip ever so slightly when copying which would at least explain the echo. But then why even have BOTH active??

Or your machine is just plain underpowered for the task at hand. No idea. Again, just guessing blindly.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Without any real information as to project format, file formats, OS and FC versions, not seeing the timeline etc. etc. etc. it's nothing but a blind guessing game. But everything points to you at least having moved the clip ever so slightly when copying which would at least explain the echo. But then why even have BOTH active??

Or your machine is just plain underpowered for the task at hand. No idea. Again, just guessing blindly.

I am on M2 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM and 512 GB SSD

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Neither clip gives me even the slightest clue as to what it is you're actually trying to do. It's just a bunch of seemingly random, aimless clicking around.

Why don't you just say what it is you are trying to do? By the looks of things you're trying to apply a color correction just to a face?! If that's the case, you go about that completely differently! For one thing you do not use a Draw Mask. Because it can't be tracked. So applying a Draw Mask and then a tracker are two entirely unrelated processes.

And clearly the color adjustments you made to the masked clip are showing perfectly, so I have no idea what your original question is all about.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Neither clip gives me even the slightest clue as to what it is you're actually trying to do. It's just a bunch of seemingly random, aimless clicking around.

Why don't you just say what it is you are trying to do? By the looks of things you're trying to apply a color correction just to a face?! If that's the case, you go about that completely differently! For one thing you do not use a Draw Mask. Because it can't be tracked. So applying a Draw Mask and then a tracker are two entirely unrelated processes.

And clearly the color adjustments you made to the masked clip are showing perfectly, so I have no idea what your original question is all about.

Ok here is what I want to do.

Aparat from Automatic Balance Colour.

I also want to manually tweak some colours. What is the best way to do that ,?

And I want to increase the exposure just on the face nowhere else.

What is your suggestion ? How do I go about achieving this goal ?

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Aparat from Automatic Balance Colour.
I don't know what that means. But the Balance Color filter is only mildly helpful. Really only useful for a manual white-balance.

I also want to manually tweak some colours. What is the best way to do that ,?
Use the color board? ⌘6
But no one is going to just teach you color correction via some forum. There are plenty Youtube videos on the subject.

And I want to increase the exposure just on the face nowhere else.
Then you need to use the face tracking. Locate the effect you want to use (ANY color correction filter) and drag the effect to the viewer. (at a point where his face is visible).As you drag rectangles appear over objects in the video clip and oval shapes appear over faces, indicating items whose motion can be tracked. Drop it on his face which creates a mask and track. DONE. After that make whatever adjustments you want!

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Then you need to use the face tracking. Locate the effect you want to use (ANY color correction filter) and drag the effect to the viewer. (at a point where his face is visible).As you drag rectangles appear over objects in the video clip and oval shapes appear over faces, indicating items whose motion can be tracked. Drop it on his face which creates a mask and track. DONE. After that make whatever adjustments you want!

I tried it, but You know the problem with using Colour Effects as a Mask on the Face is, it cannot be completely tweaked with the shape you want, there is some gap which is either left or is unwantedly included even when you don't want you cannot do anything because you. Cannot change the shape. (Have a look at the photo attached)

is it true that if someone wants to use the Draw Mask because of the customisation of shape option Keyframes can also do the tracking Job ?

image - https://i.postimg.cc/hGbr3XmH/temp-Image-UTp-Sd-F.avif

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
That's what the feathering is for and you can reposition and reshape the mask any way you want after the track, too.

And no, once again, a Draw Mask cannot be tracked in Final Cut. If you actually want to go to THAT level of trouble then you'll have to use Motion. And even then you'd still have to keyframe the individual mask points over time, which is just a nonsensical amount of work without any real benefit.

But hey, you can always just keyframe your Draw Mask frame by frame in FC instead. Good luck with that.

Never mind that you don't even need a mask in that situation if you simply know how to color correct. Adding a "contour-perfect" mask is a complete waste of time. If it's the face you want to correct then you simply correct the skin tones? There is no need to mask anything.

OR you simply use a color mask instead??

Either way, the idea of the mask as you imagine it is entirely unnecessary.

Last edited:

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
That's what the feathering is for and you can reposition and reshape the mask any way you want after the track, too.

And no, once again, a Draw Mask cannot be tracked in Final Cut. If you actually want to go to THAT level of trouble then you'll have to use Motion. And even then you'd still have to keyframe the individual mask points over time, which is just a nonsensical amount of work without any real benefit.

But hey, you can always just keyframe your Draw Mask frame by frame in FC instead. Good luck with that.

Never mind that you don't even need a mask in that situation if you simply know how to color correct. Adding a "contour-perfect" mask is a complete waste of time. If it's the face you want to correct then you simply correct the skin tones? There is no need to mask anything.

OR you simply use a color mask instead??

Either way, the idea of the mask as you imagine it is entirely unnecessary.

It would be great if you can tell me how to add keyframe to a Draw Mask. Before you tell me to search Videos online I have already done that not much of help. So if you can help that would be great.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
So you actually want to go that (worst possible) route.

Well, the exact same way you do it in any other effect, transformation, etc. etc..

1712314750351.png

Or maybe give the manual a try sometime? That's kinda what it's for.

Last edited:

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
So you actually want to go that (worst possible) route.

Well, the exact same way you do it in any other effect, transformation, etc. etc..

View attachment 2365755

Or maybe give the manual a try sometime? That's kinda what it's for.

Hey so I tried this no what happens is the step I perform is

1. Create a Duplicate Clip

2. Add a Draw Mask to it and then go to Transform button in the viewer itself Add Keyframe and after that I am kind of stuck then on what do I need to to next ?

Cllick on the small arrow below the viewer for left and right ? But it is showing disabled to me.

And then where do I add the ending Keyframe? I want it to apply on the entire clip ,?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.