Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Does anyone have a good solution to this problem other than turning off Tap to Click altogether? I really like Tap to Click but it's driving me crazy when I'm trying to type how often an inadvertent touch causes the cursor to move elsewhere in the document or sometimes even click outside of the current application altogether. I thought this used to be one of the ways that Apple's touchpad tech was superior to Windows laptops but I see tons of complaints about it online.

I don't want to stick cardboard over the touchpad either. I've tried using Better Touch Tool but that doesn't seem to help unless I'm somehow not using it right.

Anyone found a solution that actually works?

My MacBook Pro is a 13" late 2013 model.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
To bad we can't program a fn key. or other key to disable the touchpad when using a mouse etc. My last laptop had that.

Actually you can do that if you go to System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad. Click the checkbox next to "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present."

But I don't use a mouse normally. I just want the trackpad to ignore input when I'm typing. If it had a 1-2 second delay after the last keystroke before "tap to click" would work, that would be great.

redleg6

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2018
South Central PA
Actually you can do that if you go to System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad. Click the checkbox next to "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present."

But I don't use a mouse normally. I just want the trackpad to ignore input when I'm typing. If it had a 1-2 second delay after the last keystroke before "tap to click" would work, that would be great.
Gee, thanks for the response/information. I'm brand new to MBP but learning everyday thanks to folks like you.

Reactions: TitanTiger

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

You can only do this in OS X by turning off tap to click, you may want to check out the better touch tool app this gives you far more control over the trackpad and touchbar.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
You can only do this in OS X by turning off tap to click, you may want to check out the better touch tool app this gives you far more control over the trackpad and touchbar.

Yeah, I've tried that and it doesn't seem to help much.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Making the trackpad so large that it "inputs" from the touch of people's palms while typing was really "progress", wasn't it...?

No such problems on my 2015 MBPro... ;)

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
By all reports palm rejection is excellent it seems to be trailing fingers causing the issue.

My fingers aren't long enough to type and have the rest of them curl under and touch the trackpad.
[doublepost=1517515113][/doublepost]
Making the trackpad so large that it "inputs" from the touch of people's palms while typing was really "progress", wasn't it...?

Doesn't the 2015 have the same size trackpad as the 2013 one?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

I used the 2014 version for a few weeks while my MBP was away at service and while trackpad is good, it definitely feels cramped. Especially using gestures in Photoshop. Yes, the new trackpad is definitely progress. Much better.
[doublepost=1517573233][/doublepost]

Turning off tap to click helps, but really no better solution than typing without resting palms anywhere. Rest your arms instead and hover with your palms above. It's not only great for avoiding accidental touches, it is also healthier for your wrists. It's the proper way to type, really.

4-typing2.png

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
While I appreciate the ergonomics aspect of what you're saying, the fact is, sometimes your hands do drop a little or sometimes you're holding the MBP in your lap where the proper technique isn't easy to pull off. All I'm saying is, the trackpad ought to be able to ignore incidental touches better than it currently does without having to give up the Tap to Click functionality.

MikeS_Apple

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2020
I used the 2014 version for a few weeks while my MBP was away at service and while trackpad is good, it definitely feels cramped. Especially using gestures in Photoshop. Yes, the new trackpad is definitely progress. Much better.
[doublepost=1517573233][/doublepost]

Turning off tap to click helps, but really no better solution than typing without resting palms anywhere. Rest your arms instead and hover with your palms above. It's not only great for avoiding accidental touches, it is also healthier for your wrists. It's the proper way to type, really.

4-typing2.png
I also appreciate the ergonomics and healthy advice, but I think MacOS should provide a solution for all of us that have that problem and complain for years. I like my MacBooks, I have MBA 2013 13.3 and MBP 2019 16in, both the same problem, for years, when I am typing the trackpad is horrible problem. It is unbelievable that many windows laptops have that problem solved for years and MacOS cannot do it. Apple please listen to us, many people have the same problem, it is horrible.

Reactions: Ward Clark

okevin

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Does anyone have a good solution to this problem other than turning off Tap to Click altogether? I really like Tap to Click but it's driving me crazy when I'm trying to type how often an inadvertent touch causes the cursor to move elsewhere in the document or sometimes even click outside of the current application altogether. I thought this used to be one of the ways that Apple's touchpad tech was superior to Windows laptops but I see tons of complaints about it online.

I don't want to stick cardboard over the touchpad either. I've tried using Better Touch Tool but that doesn't seem to help unless I'm somehow not using it right.

Turning up the click force to high helped me. That is in later systems, I'm on Mojave, but maybe by now you have moved up.

wressus

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Hello! I have a magic trackpad and keyboard in a holder that mimics a Macbook layout. So i can use it while laying in the sofa.
But the accidental inputs from the trackpad while typing is driving me crazy. I guess the accidental input control for the magic trackpad is not the same as with a built in trackpad in a macbook.

Ive been googling for the last weeks without finding anything. Been looking into Bettertouchtools, keyboard maestro etc.

It feels like it should some how be possible to create some script/app etc that ignores the trackpad for 1 second after the keyboard is pressed.

When I google this problem it seems like im not the only one with accidental input. I think also since the modern trackpads is so large.

IMG_5962.jpeg

Reactions: lostPod

wressus

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Previous thread with some solutions “Getting trackpad to ignore touches while typing” https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/getting-trackpad-to-ignore-touches-while-typing.2103667/

TouchGuard “Disables Mac touchpad for a user-specified amount of time each time a key is pressed on the keyboard.” https://github.com/thesyntaxinator/TouchGuard
Thanks for the advice! Have you tried it? It hasn’t been updated in many years. Tried to install it but I can’t get it work properly.

If any one else finds out something let me know.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks for the advice! Have you tried it? It hasn’t been updated in many years. Tried to install it but I can’t get it work properly.
I’ve tried it now and it’s working in Sonoma 14.3 MBA M1.

I’ve placed the binary in /usr/local/bin/

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin/

Code:
sudo cp ~/Downloads/TouchGuard /usr/local/bin/TouchGuard

make it executable

Code:
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/TouchGuard

then run it once

Code:
sudo TouchGuard -time 0.2

stop the run (control+C) and give Terminal Accessibility permission (System Settings – Privacy & Security – Accessibility)

Now open Terminal and run it again

Code:

It should work.

wressus

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
I’ve tried it now and it’s working in Sonoma 14.3 MBA M1.

I’ve placed the binary in /usr/local/bin/

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin/

Code:
sudo cp ~/Downloads/TouchGuard /usr/local/bin/TouchGuard

make it executable

Code:
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/TouchGuard

then run it once

Code:

stop the run (control+C) and give Terminal Accessibility permission (System Settings – Privacy & Security – Accessibility)

Now open Terminal and run it again

Code:

It should work.
Tried to get it running

wressus

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Also, I tried it again now. But even if I set it to 0.5 seconds I cant seem to get it to work. If I keep pushing a button on the keyboard I can still move the pointer. The pointer should at least jump or stop while continuously tapping a button on the keyboard and moving the pointer at the same time. Maybe its only configured to work on the built in trackpad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.