Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Not all laptops have glossy screens. And why are there glossy screens in laptops? Well, they are usually low'ish-end consumer-laptops. When consumers see those glossy screens, they think "ooooh, shiny", and they buy it. But that doesn't mean that it's actually better.

There's a reason why MacBook has a glossy screen, whereas MacBook Pro only offers it as a BTO-option.

surprise surprise someone disagrees with me in here

And I guess there's a reason why glossy screen is offered as a BTO.

Like I said I couldn't imagine doing any kind of design work on a laptop screen anyways... :rolleyes:

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
IMHO, I think glossy screens are here to stay. It wasn't too long ago that people thought widescreen TV's and monitors etc were just a novelty.

Difference is that widscreen gives the consumer a benefit with no drawbacks, so it's a no-brainer. That is not the case with glossy.

Glossy screens make your images pop.

And it gives you horrible reflections. If I wanted a mirror, I would buy a mirror.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
surprise surprise someone disagrees with me in here

And I guess there's a reason why glossy screen is offered as a BTO.

Because some people think that glossy displays are "cool"?

Like I said I couldn't imagine doing any kind of design work on a laptop screen anyways... :rolleyes:

Then why doesn't ACD have a glossy option?

cisko212

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2007
photos

Well couldn't you ask the question if you like glossy photos or matte finish photos, and apply that answer

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I have heard here and there that the glossy screen on the MBP's isn't all that Apple would like you to think it would be. Currently, I do all my PP work on a 15" 1GHz PB G4 AI and only have issues in broad daylight for clarity/legibility. It gets calibrated often, and I've learned to anticipate color shifts from my lab on most of the images I capture. What with the PB being long in the tooth, I'd like to upgrade to an MBP, but need to know about the screen differences. There's not really a nearby Apple Store, and I don't really trust the floor models anyway, so is there someone out there who does photography professionally/semi-professionally with a solid opinion on screens?

Matte will be more accurate, but not completely accurate. I chose matte for my 17" MBP and it works. Extra saturation and contrast are nice for viewing finished work, but they're not as nice for working on images IMO.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Theoretically, glossy screens actually offer superior color accuracy (all else being equal) because the light rays are not scattered/mixed while passing through the surface as they are with a matte finished screen. I do color critical work and I prefer glossy screens (I'm a stickler for contrast), but they do demand a more controlled lighting environment to get the best out of them. As others have said, you need to calibrate your monitor no matter what type of screen you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.