Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Hey there,

after more than 3 years since the release of the M1, I want to go all native and get rid of old Intel apps. Therefore I checked all the apps I have installed in the system report:

Apple -> About this Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> Applications

I noticed that besides "Apple Silicon", "Intel" and "Universal" there are also apps listed as "Other". What does that mean?

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 15.31.33.png

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Not sure. On my own Mac, I have some apps that rely on Java or XQuartz that appear as "Other" but I don't know if that's due to the requirement for an app to run them, or just because the app doesn't report something to SI in a way that it can tell.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
You can go to any of the "Other" items, right-click on it, then choose "Show Package Contents". From there, there should be a "Contents" sub-dir with a "MacOS" sub-dir, in which there should be at least one file.

In a Terminal window, type the following, with a single trailing space, and DO NOT press the Return key:
Code:
file
Next, drag the files from the "MacOS" sub-dir over the Terminal window and drop them. This should expand to their pathnames in the window.

Now activate the Terminal window and press Return. The 'file' command will run and evaluate what kind of file each item is. Drag-select that output text, then copy and paste into a post here.

If there isn't a Contents or MacOS sub-dir, then tell us what is actually present, if anything.

FWIW, you can make a "fake app" simply by making a new folder and giving it a ".app" suffix. It won't do anything, and it might be interesting to see what System Info thinks its Kind is.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Thanks for all your help. I managed to identify these apps and they are indeed platform independent. So nothing to worry about in terms of Rosetta.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.