Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
I‘ve had the mini for ages (first 2, then 5). Didn’t think I’d ever want anything else. Ideal for me.

Recently bought the M1 iPad Pro 11”, and couldn’t put it down. Within days, the mini 5 was gifted to a relative (who’d been using my mini 2). I don’t see myself going back to a mini.

hch720

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
Seriously? Drop over $2K on the iPad, pencil and keyboard and "even it if bends a little"? That's a crock.

Apple's obsession with "thin" is one thing, but to do it to the detriment of the product line is asinine. And even moreso for those who drop $2K and say "I wouldn't worry about it".

Mind blown.

Hey, don’t shoot the messenger. Apple told the verge a few years ago that a small bend won’t cause problems. I happen to think that if somebody spends that much for a giant phone, they deserve it, but that’s another story

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hey, don’t shoot the messenger. Apple told the verge a few years ago that a small bend won’t cause problems. I happen to think that if somebody spends that much for a giant phone, they deserve it, but that’s another story
That doesn't mean that (1) I want it, or (2) would even live with it.

Remember, Jobs told us we were "holding it wrong" just before he caved and offered everyone free cases (iPhone 4)... and Schiller tried to tell us that the trash can Mac Pro was innovation...

Last edited:

H_D

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2021
Totally agree. It would be beautiful, in addition to 11 or 13”, to have the Mini as fully spec’s as possible in a Pro version. It’s a lovely device, the iPad I use most often and I would love to see it get lighter, leaner and more powerful.

• Love
Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I think just because they pose it that way doesn’t mean it has to be for everyone. I can work exclusively on my iPad Pro and my laptop collects dust for months at a time
I agree. I used to work exclusively from my (2018 and 2021) 12.9" iPad Pros for the last few years. Late last year, I switched over to a M2 MacBook Air just to change things up a bit. The iPadOS is definitely a lot more fun to use. Even with its limits, I always found ways to do something with Shortcuts or find an online converter or something.

I'm very back and forth about wanting to trade in my MBA for a 13" iPP. It's just a bit hard to justify only getting $610 off a $1700 purchase.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I think this is a misinterpreted message that has turned into a false narrative. Apple wants iPads to be a Mac complement, and a laptop (preferably PC laptop) replacement for those whom it can. As far as I know Apple never claimed it would replace all or even most people’s laptops.
I came here to pretty much say this.

For some (even in these forums), it can be a laptop replacement.
For others (myself included) it can’t entirely. But an iPad is better than a Mac at certain things and a Mac is better at others for me. So the iPad is a fantastic complementary device.

I just annotated on my iPad a screenshot I took on my Mac. That’s a super simple thing, of course, but it illustrates the “complementary” aspect nicely, I think.

Reactions: subjonas

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Now dont get me wrong the M4 OLED iPad is a wonderful device. Its screen alone is fantastic. Its performance, i couldn't tell you one way or another apple doesn't do anything that takes advantage of it.

The keyboard is almost perfect except for that top heavy wobble it has every time you tap the touch of the screen, and the new Apple Pencil pro is great. This is NOT a hate post on the device in any way shape or form.

The problem is...for me...its TOO MUCH iPad. Its too big and too thin and i'm terrified to lay on the bed or on the couch with the thing off the magic keyboard as i know sooner or later i feel like its going to bend.

Also...i want something that i can take with me on the go. This thing is very much laptop size and thats fantastic but i really dont need that for my uses.

I've been using it since Wednesday and i just feel like the Mini suited my needs much better (I traded in my Mini a while back to put the money from that towards this)

Know what would be my perfect dream device that i doubt apple will ever make? A Foldable OLED Iphone that opens into a Ipad Mini or even ill settle and compromise...A M4 OLED Ipad Mini with 120HZ Screen and Landscape FaceID.

That be perfection.

This device...is close to it in every single way except for size for me. If you want a basically Ipad OLED Laptop, by all means go out and get yourself the M4 OLED with pencil and keyboard case. Its wonderful for that use.

Me...i just wish to god this came in the Mini form factor or a intentionally foldable format where it was both Iphone and Ipad mini in one!

I get going back i have to compromise on the screen and fingerprint sensor over FaceID but im ok with that for now!

Thoughts?
Wondering why didn’t you pick up the 11”? For me, it fits my needs (even I prefer to use it for reader than kindle scribe). I bring it everywhere.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I got the same question.

I just went from the mini to the 11. It still feels a bit big but now on day 3 I’m starting to get used to it.

The screen is way better, and reading news app and books feels way more luxurious with the extra space and crispness of the text.

13 would have been too big for sure, totally the other extreme.

Before the mini, I had the 9.7 inch pro and I miss this size.
I’m on the same page. I have the Mini and while I love it for how convenient it is, I miss having a larger iPad (had the infamous 3 and then the Pro 10.5) and I kind of want the new Pro 11 solely because I love oled displays and I believe I’ll have a better time reading on the tablet. I’ll wait a while before I go for it, but it’s very tempting.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
If this is true and Apple wants the iPad to be a Mac complement then there really is no place/market for an iPad Pro. The processor is the same that runs their laptops. The iPad Air is already overkill for most every single application on the iOS store right now. They are selling bigger (1 TB of storage?) and better plus a keyboard folio (imho the weirdest Apple product because of how most people type). An iPad complement to a Mac would be an iPad Air, iPad, and iPad mini. The Pro is just overkill.

While I dislike they keyboard and sold it right after I aquired it, I will say the Apple Pencil is pretty incredible design and I use it every single day. The iPad does make a wonderful notetaking tablet.
The Pro may be overkill for you and maybe even for most people, but there are some who can make use of the higher specs, and others may just want it for the sake of it. There’s no reason not to offer it to these people if they find enough value in it and are satisfied with it. 🤷‍♂️ And offering it doesn’t mean it has to replace a laptop. Again, it’s a false narrative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.