Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
I was very much inclined to go case less this year because it's gonna be using titanium, but now I need to wrap it in a case due to it using titanium 🤣.. the reviews so far had been terrible on the durability
1. PVD coating scratches easily
2. Overly smudgy
3. Rear glass seems to be having some weakness and is more susceptible to crack

I used the previous phones case less at times and love the feel of it, so I'm seriously considering dropping the case and going with a wrap so that the curved edges and reduction in weight can be fully appreciated
Upgrading from the 13 pro max to the 15 pro max I actually much prefer the stainless steel sides on the 13. I got the blue titanium and one scratch on the sides will make it look like someone keyed a car. Honestly it didn’t look premium at all. So in the end I appreciate the USB-C, action button and better cameras than the 13 but I’ve gotta wrap a case over these delicate titanium coatings ☹️

Reactions: Conan86

Davidnguyen_89

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
which cases are the best. im looking at clear ones for the white edition. make the phone stand out a bit more.

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
Got the phone on Friday (iPhone 15 Pro Max) and on Sunday I dropped it on the kitchen floor from pocket level.

No case.

Back shattered.

Took it into the Apple Store today and they don't have replacement parts yet for the iPhone 15. But...they did have a replacement phone for me (the ones that are brand new but come in the little brown box).

I've had every phone Apple has made. In the last few years, they seem to have gotten much more robust. I don't know if I was just unlucky with how it landed or if this one is more fragile. Guess time will tell.
It really is the luck of the drop. I repair phones daily and people always say how the phone is worse than the last they had, in reality it’s the exact odds of each drop that matter. Something to note with this generation though, apple beveled the sides for more comfort which means less metal to take the impact.

Reactions: doolar

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
It really is the luck of the drop. I repair phones daily and people always say how the phone is worse than the last they had, in reality it’s the exact odds of each drop that matter. Something to note with this generation though, apple beveled the sides for more comfort which means less metal to take the impact.
This! We can’t have it all. There are less material on the new phones at the exact weak point in an impact. I do not expect my 15PM to be as tough as my 13P.

But I rather have it this way since the 15 is way more comfortable in hand (I don’t use a case), I rarely drop my phone, and if I do I have AppleCare.

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
I went caseless for a couple months with my 14 and one of the camera lenses ended up with a small crack probably because of the way it lays on surfaces.
Plenty of us go baseless without cracking a rear cam lens. You were definitely too rough and not thoughtful of how your phone is placed down.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Always use a case mainly for its grip. True grabbing a naked phone with wet hands.

lonesoul

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
Well not exactly naked, but been running with a complete PPF + screen protector since the 12 Pro Max and never looked back

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
My 15 PM is way too slippery for me so I went with the black Totallee and it works perfect. Has just enough grip and adds very little bulk!

Reactions: That70sGAdawg

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
i always want to try it, but every time i reverted back to the case. i'm on IUP so nick and ding don't bother me, it's the slippery and comfort level in my hand that bother me for the previous iPhone without cases. from the release video last week, the titanium has a somewhat matte look to it, and the edges seem not as sharp as the previous pro phones. maybe this time i do go caseless. are anyone else thinking the same?

No. Cases are both fun and useful. All iPhones are slippery. Don’t like holding them bare. I also enjoy leather cases.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I never use a case. I've had every flagship iPhone since the original in 2007 and haven't put a case on any of them.

Reactions: 6916494

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Not a chance. £1300 UK Sterling phone and a couple of cases etc at a fraction of the value (screen protector also); just makes a lot of sense unless you've money to throw away and fine with risking damage to the phone!

Caseology & UAG cases for me; Spigen screen protector. Protected as well as it can be and gives me peace of mind

I've rough hands from all the chalk I use in training too; so a naked phone would be marked in no time at all!

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I never used a case until the 12 Pro Max... This time, with the 15 PM, I got AC+ for the first time and am seriously considering ditching the case...

Reactions: That70sGAdawg

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I am too chicken to go without a case. I have never had damage to a phone, but if I went without a case, that’s when I’d drop it for sure.

Also, I use Loopy cases, and I love the control I have of my phone with the Loopy case on. I honestly don’t know if I could even use a case without a loop, much less going caseless.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I am too chicken to go without a case. I have never had damage to a phone, but if I went without a case, that’s when I’d drop it for sure.

Also, I use Loopy cases, and I love the control I have of my phone with the Loopy case on. I honestly don’t know if I could even use a case without a loop, much less going caseless.
Did you get a max?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Not a chance. £1300 UK Sterling phone and a couple of cases etc at a fraction of the value (screen protector also); just makes a lot of sense unless you've money to throw away and fine with risking damage to the phone!

Caseology & UAG cases for me; Spigen screen protector. Protected as well as it can be and gives me peace of mind

I've rough hands from all the chalk I use in training too; so a naked phone would be marked in no time at all!

I have a 13 Pro and this week picked up a 14 Pro Max, since my 13 I've used the Spigen screen protector and cannot rate it highly enough, I've been less careful I'd say with the phone screen due to that, don't mind it getting mucky as the glass of the protector is so good and tough! Don't think it has a scratch on it?
Well worth using to keep that screen clear of scratches and nicks.

I also use the Spigen armour MagSafe cases too.

Reactions: danb1979

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
I bought my 14 PM in December 2022 and use it, I think, with case for 2 months with Apple leather case. After this time I use it most caseless than with a case. It has some minor scratches if you look at it in the right light, nothing else and nothing dramatic. Sometimes I try to put back a case, but in few hours I literally hate the plastic feelings.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I did. Still getting used to it, but the pro is gone, so I’m gonna have to stick it out. ;-p

I don’t have the Loopy case in yet, so it should be even better when that arrives.
I see a lot of women with folio cases, including my wife, a nomad leather, might be worth a try.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I see a lot of women with folio cases, including my wife, a nomad leather, might be worth a try.

Are these the ones that fold over the phone? I love the look of those, but worry about bulk, especially with this bigger phone.

I LOVE leather cases, but like I said, I’ve become really addicted to having the loop. It gives me so much more control of the phone when it’s in one hand.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Are these the ones that fold over the phone? I love the look of those, but worry about bulk, especially with this bigger phone.

I LOVE leather cases, but like I said, I’ve become really addicted to having the loop. It gives me so much more control of the phone when it’s in one hand.
Yes, she won't use anything else.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
i always want to try it, but every time i reverted back to the case. i'm on IUP so nick and ding don't bother me, it's the slippery and comfort level in my hand that bother me for the previous iPhone without cases. from the release video last week, the titanium has a somewhat matte look to it, and the edges seem not as sharp as the previous pro phones. maybe this time i do go caseless. are anyone else thinking the same?
It is very tempting, I sometimes use it caseless around the house, this is by far the best and most comfortable iPhone to hold and use caseless in many years so I can see why you are tempted to go caseless 100% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.