Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorena89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
First off, I'd like to apologize if my post isn't very well written - I am new here. I have been reading this forum for a long time, but never felt the need to create an account as whatever information I needed was answered beautifully from other people before me.
So... I have been using iPhones since 2013, exclusively. I'm a tiny woman with super tiny hands, which already makes matters a lot harder in terms of finding a device that's fine for me to use. ?

I had the iPhone 7 for a REALLY long time, needed a battery replacement and eventually it was so bad I needed to find a new alternative.
I recently decided to upgrade to the 12 Mini, which was a lot of money for me to begin with, but I thought it would be worth it as a good investment for my future.
For most things I use my iPad mini and MacBook pro, so I only use my phone for phone calls, texts (WhatsApp, mainly), taking pictures, sending/listening voice notes... social media and stuff I mainly use on my iPad.

I feel bad and stupid for even feeling the way I do, but somehow ever since I switched I haven't been too happy with my choice. ? I really miss the home button and ever since I got this phone I get headaches so frequently, which I'm not sure if it is related to the different screen. I find it often quite uncomfortable to look at the display and I find myself putting off replying to messages because it gives me a headache. On top of that, like I said, I really do miss the home button. I'm not a fan of Face ID and here where I live face masks have been obligatory for almost an entire year which makes it impossible to use.

I'm tempted to sell my new 12 mini to buy the SE 2020 which seems to be the dream phone for someone like me, BUT I am worried about the battery. Which is what led me to get the 12 mini in the first place, instead of the SE. I've done so much research and all I see is people saying how their battery health drops dramatically in a matter of weeks or a couple months maximum and the phone doesn't work properly anymore.
I guess what I'm trying to ask is, would it be incredibly stupid of me to sell the mini to buy a phone that's apparently so much worse as people say? It does have everything I want and need, except the battery like I said it frightens me because I don't want to find myself in a situation where I'd need my phone and it would die on me.

I know we're going through unprecedented times and I feel bad for even worrying about something so superficial, but it matters to me because I'd plan on keeping the device for a really long time.
Any thoughts?

Please forgive the length of the post, I don't know how to explain myself without telling the entire story haha I hope everyone reading this (and putting up with me) has a lovely day! ?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
First off, I'd like to apologize if my post isn't very well written - I am new here. I have been reading this forum for a long time, but never felt the need to create an account as whatever information I needed was answered beautifully from other people before me.
So... I have been using iPhones since 2013, exclusively. I'm a tiny woman with super tiny hands, which already makes matters a lot harder in terms of finding a device that's fine for me to use. ?

I had the iPhone 7 for a REALLY long time, needed a battery replacement and eventually it was so bad I needed to find a new alternative.
I recently decided to upgrade to the 12 Mini, which was a lot of money for me to begin with, but I thought it would be worth it as a good investment for my future.
For most things I use my iPad mini and MacBook pro, so I only use my phone for phone calls, texts (WhatsApp, mainly), taking pictures, sending/listening voice notes... social media and stuff I mainly use on my iPad.

I feel bad and stupid for even feeling the way I do, but somehow ever since I switched I haven't been too happy with my choice. ? I really miss the home button and ever since I got this phone I get headaches so frequently, which I'm not sure if it is related to the different screen. I find it often quite uncomfortable to look at the display and I find myself putting off replying to messages because it gives me a headache. On top of that, like I said, I really do miss the home button. I'm not a fan of Face ID and here where I live face masks have been obligatory for almost an entire year which makes it impossible to use.

I'm tempted to sell my new 12 mini to buy the SE 2020 which seems to be the dream phone for someone like me, BUT I am worried about the battery. Which is what led me to get the 12 mini in the first place, instead of the SE. I've done so much research and all I see is people saying how their battery health drops dramatically in a matter of weeks or a couple months maximum and the phone doesn't work properly anymore.
I guess what I'm trying to ask is, would it be incredibly stupid of me to sell the mini to buy a phone that's apparently so much worse as people say? It does have everything I want and need, except the battery like I said it frightens me because I don't want to find myself in a situation where I'd need my phone and it would die on me.

I know we're going through unprecedented times and I feel bad for even worrying about something so superficial, but it matters to me because I'd plan on keeping the device for a really long time.
Any thoughts?

Please forgive the length of the post, I don't know how to explain myself without telling the entire story haha I hope everyone reading this (and putting up with me) has a lovely day! ?
No need to feel bad or stupid. If you avoid using your phone due to discomfort that is a problem. You likely have PWM sensitivity, there's a long thread on here about that. Some people experience discomfort with OLED screens due to the technology. Your iPhone 7 and iPad have LCD screens which don't have these effects on people.

The iPhone SE 2020 is a great phone. It has an LCD and not OLED. You can always buy a battery case which should resolve your battery concerns. I briefly had the SE 2020, the battery was very "meh" to me. Touch ID though is still fantastic and practical given the current climate.

You can sell your 12 Mini on a site like Swappa or here on the marketplace. I'd avoid eBay, it is hit or miss. You'll probably take a small loss on the phone, but the good news is that it should totally cover the cost of the SE.

The SE 2020 should get iOS updates for nearly as long as the 12 Mini, at least 5 years, so you're good with either phone.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Reactions: Boyyai and jimmy_uk

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The SE 2020 gets good battery life. And for the usage cited, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

What other people think (including me) about the battery is really immaterial. What matters, is what you the buyer thinks. Test the SE 2020. If after 12 days you feel it isn't right for you, return it and consider a different choice in phone.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
The headaches you experience are likely due to the OLED screen as pointed out by @Harthag. Not much you can do about that if you're sensitive to PWM.

If you sell your iPhone 12 Mini you will likely take a hit, but you'll just have to absorb the loss if the phone is not right for you. The SE 2020 is a very nice phone which will probably suit you better. If not, return it with the allotted time period.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Hi Lorena, ive got both the 12 mini and the SE 2020. As others have said on this thread, its looks like you suffer from PWM sensitivity from the OLED screen on the 12 mini, like i do also, however by keeping the screen brightness at 50% or above i dont get any headaches or eye strain, so you may want to try this and see how you feel (most of the flicker that causes eye strain occurs around 30% and below). Face ID may also give you eye strain/headaches from the scanners so also try turning it off and see if this helps you.

If these tests do not help, then the SE 2020 is a great alternative, it has the internals of the iphone 11 series, so very powerful and efficient, and i personally get good battery life with it as i mainly do media heavy stuff on my Ipad like you do. It also has Touch ID, which is better than Face ID in my opinion. keep us posted with what you choose to do.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

lorena89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for each response, you guys have been so incredibly helpful I am speechless! It means a lot.
I had no idea PWM sensitivity was a thing, so I figured I shouldn’t complain but I looked it up and it all makes sense now. I have all the issues that are mentioned.

thank you so much also for your advice on where to potentially sell the 12 mini - I would’ve thought of eBay as the first option, but now I will consider something different! Does the marketplace on this website work also if you are located in Europe? Otherwise I might have to search for another reliable website where I can sell it. ?

again, thank you SO much! I didn’t even think anyone would want to read such a long post. I truly appreciate it and will definitely keep you posted on how it goes!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
thank you so much also for your advice on where to potentially sell the 12 mini - I would’ve thought of eBay as the first option, but now I will consider something different! Does the marketplace on this website work also if you are located in Europe? Otherwise I might have to search for another reliable website where I can sell it. ?
Yes, the marketplace that is part of MacRumors can be used to sell your iPhone 12 Mini. Be sure to let everyone know of your location in order to avoid offers from areas such as the US, Canada, etc. However, if you can sell your phone locally and deal with the buyer in person, that would be best.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
The iPhone SE is a great phone and will last for several years.

Also, I know you don't like FaceID, but it you may find that it is useful in a post-Covid world (whenever that is). At that time you may have interest in an iPhone 11, which was the most popular phone of the last generation and will still likely be on sale next year.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for each response, you guys have been so incredibly helpful I am speechless! It means a lot.
I had no idea PWM sensitivity was a thing, so I figured I shouldn’t complain but I looked it up and it all makes sense now. I have all the issues that are mentioned.

again, thank you SO much! I didn’t even think anyone would want to read such a long post. I truly appreciate it and will definitely keep you posted on how it goes!
The forum marketplace is a great place to sell and buy. You have to have at least 250 posts and be a member for at least 6 months, before gaining access.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
I have the SE 2020 and the Mini. The SE battery life is terrible. You can literally watch it tick down while you are on the phone. The Mini is quite a bit better. Just get AppleCare on the SE if you get one, battery is covered if it drops below 80% health

Reactions: Boyyai and Osamede

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
The apple smart battery case for the iPhone 8 is compatible with the 2020 SE. Unless you use your phone extremely sparingly, that may be a good option.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Does the marketplace on this website work also if you are located in Europe? Otherwise I might have to search for another reliable website where I can sell it. ?
Hi, I would consider Facebook Marketplace if I were you. I’m from Europe too (Norway), but I live in México. I’ve successfully bought 3 used phones (in mint condition) from sellers on Facebook Marketplace, so I would definitely recommend that. Otherwise, in Norway we have a very popular local online market called Finn (www.finn.no), so I’d assume your country would have something similar...?

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
They were terrible as well, with most users needing to charge during the day, or top off at the very least. How quickly some forget...
do you live/work in the jungle during the day with no power points lol

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
The battery for the SE 2020 is not great. If you are not a big user of the phone for anything other than talking, texting, light app use it is fine. If you are a power user you will have to recharge it during the day. I have one myself. Great phone though!

Reactions: Boyyai and jcorbin

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Battery life is very important but not having headaches is probably more critical. I have a wireless charger at my home office and in my bedroom. Wired chargers on the main floor. And a charger in the car. Unless the battery died in an hour there’s really no reason for me to be concerned. I just drop it on a charger while I do other stuff and pick it up when I need to use it. I understand that this situation is my own and other’s may not have this luxury. But battery life being a problem is subjective.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Battery life is very important but not having headaches is probably more critical. I have a wireless charger at my home office and in my bedroom. Wired chargers on the main floor. And a charger in the car. Unless the battery died in an hour there’s really no reason for me to be concerned. I just drop it on a charger while I do other stuff and pick it up when I need to use it. I understand that this situation is my own and other’s may not have this luxury. But battery life being a problem is subjective.
Yep, and a big plus on the Mini having a smaller battery is it charges very fast with a 20 watt charger. 30% to 80% in under 30 minutes.

lorena89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
Thank you again everyone for your precious replies!
This past week I experienced the worst headache of my life. It lasted three days straight and I don’t know if it’s a coincidence, but I rarely felt this unwell before. The only thing I did differently compared to other days was using my phone quite a bit more, due to my family needing me to be available all day. Now that I try to avoid looking at the phone for long, I haven’t gotten that headache anymore. It was weird. I can use my iPad Mini 5 all day without any issues... at least now I know I’m not the only person affected by the OLED display and I’m not going crazy. Still debating what to do merely because of the battery... maybe I’m just stupid for having researched so much! If it weren’t for the battery I’d go to the SE in a heartbeat. It’s my dream phone bc of the home button and screen size, etc. but I would plan on keeping it for many years so I would need the battery to actually hold! ?

I hope everyone on here is having a wonderful day! Also, since we’re at it... which color of SE is your favorite? I’m tempted by the red, being a make-up lover and all. ?

Reactions: Boyyai

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I hope everyone on here is having a wonderful day! Also, since we’re at it... which color of SE is your favorite? I’m tempted by the red, being a make-up lover and all. ?

The red is more of a candy apple red so I'm not a huge fan. I much prefer the deeper reds on 8/XR.

We have all three in our household and for me, the white looks prettiest.

Reactions: Boyyai and lorena89

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I have and like the black SE2020.
I was hoping to get the white to differentiate between my wife’s black XR. I can tell the difference but she never pays attention. I’ve seen her walk away with my dad’s 5 a few times. Alas all they had was black. ?‍♂️

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have the SE in black as thats all work supplied me with. did want the red one but last it all matches. Battery life isn't as bad as I thought.

Reactions: Boyyai
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.