Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
So i finally decided upon the nikon d90, the video HD quality is amazing for a dslr, and i look forward to using it. However with the price of the d90, all i can afford to buy is the body for 850 as of now. I figured it would be a better camera to grow with then the d60 and since i was going to pay 699 for the d60 kit i decided to just bump it up to the d90, because i wanted a camcorder as well. why not have both that does one. Vimeo has amazing videos captured with the d90, i mean wow they are impressive.
So to all you d90 owners or creative photographers i was wondering, what would be a good starting lense good for everything and not very expensive.

I have heard about the 50mm being great lenses, not sure what they do?

i still need to do some reading about what lenses do what.

EDIT: what i was trying to say the video quality is good, good for what i will be doing anyways, my cousins in film school and they are using a d90 for alot of different aspects. I am getting this dslr for its photography offerings.
i was dragging this forum on, because i am stuck on a lens to buy

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
starting lens? Well, you'll want something a little more versatile than the 50mm
but as a starting lens, why not go with an 18-55 VR- it's cheap, it's light and it has VR- which is great and it's pretty versatile for a starter lens

EDIT:both the 50 f/1.8 and f/1.4 are great lenses (and now that you have a D90 you won't need the new af-s version, although it is superior to the older ones) But a 50mm lens is primarily for portraits, and it's a prime lens, which means no zooming. It's also great in low light situations, but for an only lens as a starter photographer....I'd go with something else, personally

bashveank

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
What's your budget?

The 18-135 will give you a great range and it's not very pricey.
If you must have something cheaper, however, the 18-55 isn't bad

As for the 50mm, they have the ability to get a very shallow depth of field, so they're great for shooting people. I wouldn't get one as your only lens though as they have a fixed focal length. Although, if you can put down an extra $100 the 50mm f/1.8 is a GREAT buy.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Tell me about it, I suggest you start of with a zoom lens first before getting a prime like the previous poster said.

I feel very odd when I first used prime, cause Im so accustomed into using zoom. You would want to get comfortable with your camera body first before start understanding how your lens works.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Great choice in camera. I loved everything about it but I would have been in the same boat as you being able to afford the body but no lens. In the end I opted for the XSi over the D60 though.

Enjoy your new camera.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I say the opposite: Get the 50mm 1.8. Better to get used to using a prime, as zooms are more common. The value of a good prime can't be overstated.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
is the kit lens with the d60 worth the 260 more for the 18 105. or should i buy the body like i was planning on doing and buy a different lens for less. what do you guys think

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Get the D90 body and a 50mm f/1.8. It's a great little walk around lens. You won't regret it.

Henri Cartier Bresson took the vast majority of his photos with a 50mm (on FF)....that's good enough for me ;)

Definitely stick with the D90!!! ... and zoom with your feet :D

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Just as an additional thought, think about the 28 2.8 AF-D or the 35 2.0 AF-D. Both are a little closer on a DX camera to an actual 50mm lens.

is the kit lens with the d60 worth the 260 more for the 18 105. or should i buy the body like i was planning on doing and buy a different lens for less. what do you guys think

Get the body by itself and grab a different lens.

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
You should have a double take on that video function...
Unlike regular video cameras which auto-focus, the D90 works a bit differently.
I don't have the details as I use a D80 and the changes are worth enough to buy a D90, but your focusing will be different (depending on what lens you use).

Just FYI.

SMkdesigns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
ok so i am really in a tough spot with this. so its the d90 with 18 105 for 1095

or the body d90 for 849

now like i said i bought the body for 840 thinking i could score a deal on a good lens. however i what ever lens i get is going to have to last me a long time considering the camera itself is a big purchase for me.

the 18 105 seems like it would be a good all around lens at its package in there with the body for 1095. by itself its 399 i believe.

or is there a better all around lens that i dont know about that i could get. I dont know alot of lens and i would love the help. my budget on a lens is 250 max i would say..
please help or should i cancel my order and get the packge or is that lens worth it

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Well, I'm of the opinion that a good standard prime is plenty by itself, so any of three lenses should suit you well: The 28, 35 or 50 (more than three, given the multiple versions available, but I don't think you'll be springing for the 28 1.4, as it goes for about $4,000 if you can find it).

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
ok so i am really in a tough spot with this. so its the d90 with 18 105 for 1095

or the body d90 for 849

now like i said i bought the body for 840 thinking i could score a deal on a good lens. however i what ever lens i get is going to have to last me a long time considering the camera itself is a big purchase for me.

the 18 105 seems like it would be a good all around lens at its package in there with the body for 1095. by itself its 399 i believe.

or is there a better all around lens that i dont know about that i could get. I dont know alot of lens and i would love the help. my budget on a lens is 250 max i would say..
please help or should i cancel my order and get the packge or is that lens worth it

SMK, with that budget I highly encourage you to go ahead and get the kit 18-105. It is a good price and would serve you well. People seem to be fairly pleased with it's quality.

I also like primes, and the 50mm 1.8 is good. It's only $100, but I think it should be your 2nd lens.

You'll just simply be able to shoot a larger variety of subjects with the 18-105 than with a prime, and will be more convenient on vacations.

Enjoy, and let us know what you decide!

Cheers,

DCBass

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Don't let your expectations get too high with the video recording function on the camera. It 'ripples' with movement. Here's an example.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I don't know why you are saying that the video capability is "amazing" for a DSLR, what are you comparing it to?

Because from what I have seen of the video output from it, it sucks.

And trying to use it for video, sucks.

I would not make the video capability a major part of your decision.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
I am considering replacing my Nikon D70 with the D90. Do you think there would be noticeable difference or should I wait. I would really like to have the D700, sounds pretty amazing, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much money. The other issue for me is weight. The D90 feels a lot like my D70 and it just feels good in my hands.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The D90 would be a major step up. The D70 is now several years old, and the D90 shares much with the D300.

The D700 is full frame, and that's a big reason why it's so expensive.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
The D90 would be a major step up. The D70 is now several years old, and the D90 shares much with the D300.

The D700 is full frame, and that's a big reason why it's so expensive.

Thanks for the reply and I knew that the D700 was full frame, I think that is one of the reasons that I find it so appealing.

I really do like the feel of the D90, but I am still wondering what benefits I would reap by upgrading to the D90. Obviously more megapixels. Is there any difference in focusing? If I do upgrade, could you recommend an all-around, everyday decent lens? Thanks again.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The D90 should be excellent, and the benefit would be in everything you do with a camera. If I remember correctly, the D90 is probably a bit smaller than the D70s, and I believe it's lighter, but I can't remember the D70s. Focusing is better, the viewfinder isn't pathetic, and the image quality is better overall. Not sure how the colours compare. The colours were pretty muted from the D70s, but the D300's default JPEGs are really really bad. It's pretty much unusable at the standard settings. You really have to change the settings a lot before it's usable, but once you do, the photos are outstanding. The D90 is probably similar. I've played with a D90 several times, but I'm not too familiar with its output.

Anyway, I guess if you can't find any benefit in a D90, don't bother getting it.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The D300's standard jpegs are unusable? Since when? Mine look great to me.

Anyway, the D90 uses the same image processor as the D300. Where it starts to differ is the autofocus module, the overall build quality and size and the layout of the controls.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
I don't like the idea of video on a DSLR. A top-notch camera is meant to take pictures, not video.

I hear this a lot... but considering that a camcorder and a DSLR are now essentially the same pieces of hardware, I don't see why we should not benefit from the convergence.

I don't have a D90, I have a Canon EOS 5D mk2. One of the primary reasons I bought it was the video capabilities. Compared to my 10K+ video camera that allows interchangeable lenses and manual control, the price of these cameras are dirt cheap.

I think that RED has the right idea. Make a "brain" that does both things well, and use accessories to create the proper ergonomics for the type of shooting you do. I will probably be selling the 5D once the Scarlet hits the street.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.