Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
So i finally decided upon the nikon d90, the video HD quality is amazing for a dslr, and i look forward to using it. However with the price of the d90, all i can afford to buy is the body for 850 as of now. I figured it would be a better camera to grow with then the d60 and since i was going to pay 699 for the d60 kit i decided to just bump it up to the d90, because i wanted a camcorder as well. why not have both that does one. Vimeo has amazing videos captured with the d90, i mean wow they are impressive.
So to all you d90 owners or creative photographers i was wondering, what would be a good starting lense good for everything and not very expensive.

I have heard about the 50mm being great lenses, not sure what they do?

i still need to do some reading about what lenses do what.

EDIT: what i was trying to say the video quality is good, good for what i will be doing anyways, my cousins in film school and they are using a d90 for alot of different aspects. I am getting this dslr for its photography offerings.
i was dragging this forum on, because i am stuck on a lens to buy

I don't know why you are saying that the video capability is "amazing" for a DSLR, what are you comparing it to?

Because from what I have seen of the video output from it, it sucks.

And trying to use it for video, sucks.

I would not make the video capability a major part of your decision.

I hear this a lot... but considering that a camcorder and a DSLR are now essentially the same pieces of hardware, I don't see why we should not benefit from the convergence.

:confused:

How did you get past the D90's "worrbling" issues?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0i5rmwPPNQ

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Starter lens? I've seen examples of the 18-55mm "kit" lens on Crag's List for $40. They are very good, within their limits. the 50mm f/1.8 is a bargain too. The two would complement each other well. No need to buy them new. Certain.ly don't buy the 18-55 new as there are so many available used.

There are two version of the 18-55. The VR has VR of course but the older one might have slightly less flair and better contrast.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The D300's standard jpegs are unusable? Since when? Mine look great to me.

They're usable, as long as you don't care about colour.

There are lots of threads on the net (DPReview, or just Google) about settings that don't.....you know.....make people's skin look too green. Skin tones are horrible on the D300's default settings, but thanks to picky photographers all over the world, there are lots of recommendations on how to get better colour out of your camera.

In fact, if you go to the Nikon website, there's even a page that tells you how to change the Nikon D300's settings to something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.