Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipauldm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
D5C7C0AF-56FA-49DB-8195-2ED9FCD7646A.jpeg
So....Gold max just delivered and the stainless steel frame is already showing a silver “chip” out of the box. Gutted. Anyone else have this?

Stuart6

Suspended
Jan 30, 2017
That's not acceptable as the price is crazy. They damn sure should have put it more effort into the durability and made sure that it does not get damaged in any form while in the factory.

McDLT

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
I personally would live with that but I don’t use cases so wear is inevitable. Nothing is perfect.

Reactions: Lyn2012

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
My Silver Max has a small scuff above the volume up button. My heart sunk when I saw it.
It's not deep so I've polished it out with Brasso polish wadding but have sent off for a Cape Cod polishing cloth that should remove it to a mirror finish.

Annoying but not the end of the world. If it had been deeper I'd have probably sent it back.

sleepdeficit

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
Same here on an Xs.
There’s one at the bottom of my screen.
Like they slipped with a screwdriver.

It’s like a tiny chip in the frame, that also crosses the bezel up to the glass.

Xfinity might let me replace it,
but they’re out of stock for at least another week or two;
and I doubt able would let me just swap it at the Apple store if they even have them in stock.

I can see it from arms length

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
If it's a chip, replace. Make sure you inform Apple/your seller immediately though to negate accusations of user damage.

sleepdeficit

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
If it's a chip, replace. Make sure you inform Apple/your seller immediately though to negate accusations of user damage.

Already called and have it on-file with Xfinity.
They said since I bought it online, I won’t be able to take it to an Xfinity store. And it could be a bit before they get more.

Apple store, I’m not sure they’d swap it since it’s not even activated yet and ordered through Xfinity.

If it were in a spot where a case would cover it, I’d try to live with it.
It’s right on the bottom bezel where most of the cases don’t cover though.

Gahhh.
It’s a 1st world problem for sure,
but I’m paying a hell of a lot for this thing that’s supposed to be precision engineered.

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
Apple store might be your best option if you have one locally.
The fact you haven't activated it due to the damage is in your favour.
May be worth looking into.

Reactions: sleepdeficit

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Of this gutts you, you need to re-evaluate your life. Does it suck? Sure. Can you exchange it and life goes on? Yes.

Really would like to know what you would say if something actually bad happened in your life and not a small chip to the finish in your mobile. Which, can be replaced.

Reactions: 1144557 and Moki808

sleepdeficit

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
Of this gutts you, you need to re-evaluate your life. Does it suck? Sure. Can you exchange it and life goes on? Yes.

Really would like to know what you would say if something actually bad happened in your life and not a small chip to the finish in your mobile. Which, can be replaced.

I don’t think anyone here is distraught over it.
I’m sure OP would rather spend time on things in life that matter than this though.
I know I would.
Especially when we pay a premium to not have visible defects out of the box.

Like I said though,
1st world problems.
Just annoying.
Not the end of the world.
[doublepost=1537663264][/doublepost]
Apple store might be your best option if you have one locally.
The fact you haven't activated it due to the damage is in your favour.
May be worth looking into.

Closest one is ~50 miles away
Probably worth a call though.
Thank you.

sleepdeficit

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
Talked to Apple.
They put me in contact with a “Senior Advisor” who basically told me it would be a paid warranty swap and that I’d have to go through Xfinity if I didn’t want to pay for a replacement device.

Xfinity is currently showing the next date of availability as 10/10/2018

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Talked to Apple.
They put me in contact with a “Senior Advisor” who basically told me it would be a paid warranty swap and that I’d have to go through Xfinity if I didn’t want to pay for a replacement device.

Xfinity is currently showing the next date of availability as 10/10/2018
That's BS. Also, not true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.