Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I want a hard drive just for photos/videos - need to move stuff from USB sticks. I would store on my iMac, but I only have a 256, and I’d like two backups anyway. I figure I’ll put what I can on the Mac, and then put everything on a spare drive.

Suggestions for a good one that won’t break the bank. I need a 512 or TB, and then I’d like some smaller ones to sort the pics/videos by family to give copies of the grandkids’ videos to each of my daughters.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have Lacie D2 Professional (HDD), Lacie Rugged Mini (HDD) and Samsung T7 (SSD) used for backups / TM.
You will struggle to find a D2 less than 4TB now though.

Rugged Mini 1TB £75

Samsung T7 £96

All depends on portability required etc.
I would always go for a known make, as data is non-replaceable.
Also recommend having Time Machine as well.

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I want a hard drive just for photos/videos - need to move stuff from USB sticks. I would store on my iMac, but I only have a 256, and I’d like two backups anyway. I figure I’ll put what I can on the Mac, and then put everything on a spare drive.

Suggestions for a good one that won’t break the bank. I need a 512 or TB, and then I’d like some smaller ones to sort the pics/videos by family to give copies of the grandkids’ videos to each of my daughters.

Will the cost of 11$ a month break your bank?
That's the price for 2TB icloud+.

I don't use much of the icloud, therefore I only got the 200GB. Got another 8TB NAS.

apostolosdt

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Today’s platter external disks are reliable. You can find 1TB at very low prices, so buy at least two and that will do. Yes, SSD disks are faster and more “cool” but they also wear faster and they don’t die as gracefully as the others.

Also, consider storage in the Cloud; Google Drive offers 200GB at roughly $20 per year.

Reactions: Ray2

Kim Larni

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
I have two Transcend StoreJet's. 1 TB and 2 TB. Been very happy with them.
2 TB cost around 90$ in Amazon, 1 TB is around 75$.

Reactions: ssledoux

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Samsung "T" series are not pricey at all and offer pretty good speeds/reliability for the price. Also a M.2 with a good enclosure is also not pricey and offers a way to upgrade as you need since you could easily start with a 1TB M.2 and upgrade to more storage later.

Reactions: Chuckeee

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Today’s platter external disks are reliable. You can find 1TB at very low prices, so buy at least two and that will do. Yes, SSD disks are faster and more “cool” but they also wear faster and they don’t die as gracefully as the others.

Also, consider storage in the Cloud; Google Drive offers 200GB at roughly $20 per year.
Thanks! I’m not interested in cloud storage, but I’ll plan to buy two hard drives for sure.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina

Same. I chose the following setup:

1- a Seagate HDD for Macs in that it includes a USB port for an additional connection. 8TB for US$135 from Costco. I use this as my TimeMachine backup.
2- a second HDD for Macs from Costco for photos/videos and document backups. Another 8TB for US$135.
3- a subscription to Microsoft 365 primarily for the Office suite and 1TB of cloud storage (OneDrive) per user up to 6TB for US$100/year. This is my key offsite storage solution for the peace of mind. We also use OneDrive storage for sharing files among our iPads, iPhones, and the iMac. I used to have a 2TB Dropbox account but found that redundant and unnecessary, as I did iCloud storage beyond the minimal free allocation.

As SSDs continue to come down in price, I’ll likely replace the HDDs with them at some point. The spinning platters have been working perfectly for a year in one case and three years in the other. HDD testing shows both working flawlessly with no incipient problems creeping in to the extent macOS, Cocktail, and TechToolPro can detect these.

TL;DR - one Microsoft offline 1TB-6TB subscription for $100/year and two iMac-attached Seagate 8TB HDDs for one-time $270.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
My main setup is 2 HDD in a IDE adapter plus a 2TB Samsung Touch for traveling backup.

The IDE adaptor is cheaper than a NAS and connects via USB.

If you have Amazon Prime they offer unlimited photo storage.

3- a subscription to Microsoft 365 primarily for the Office suite and 1TB of cloud storage (OneDrive) per user up to 6TB

And you can create a user and use their storage to get more than 1 TB.

ger19

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
Don’t make more out of this than necessary. Get a WD or Seagate and put your data on it. It’s a backup so by definition, you have more than one copy. Not likely they both would go bad at the same time. Just save your money and get the size you need. Try to find one on sale. If you’re really worried, get two - that‘s what I do for my DW’s pictures.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
3, 2, 1 or backups: At least 3 copies of your data, on at least 2 different types of media, with at least 1 in the cloud (or off-site). I know you said you don't want cloud storage and that you want hard copies but having the cloud backup is a great insurance policy.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

I have done what I think you're doing, which is to move my Photos library off onto an external drive. I just bought a basic SATA SSD and generic USB enclosure and went with that. It's probably not the fastest, but it's absolutely fine for this. I don't see beachballs or anything when working with photos or videos. I was using a portable HDD spinning drive for this previously, but it was a little slow, and 1TB SSDs are just dirt cheap at this point.

I also have that drive backed up to two other hard drives -- one local at my desk and another that lives at my office and gets brought home once a month for backup.

As for your comment about keeping "hard copies" it's not an either/or if you do it right. I use iCloud Photos, but I have the database on my Mac set with Optimized Storage OFF, so it keeps everything downloaded locally. Best of both worlds, in my opinion. Photos I take on my phone get synced over to the iMac, fully downloaded and then backed up. I also have access on my iPhone to every photo I've ever taken, without the storage penalty.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Best source for drive reliability are the Backblaze HD statistics reports.

It's a cool report... if you're in the market a 3.5" server-grade HDD. Probably overkill when the OP is needing a 512 GB or 1 TB drive.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP: add up all storage- the 256GB internal and the total of those usb sticks. Then, multiply that by about 3 or 4. That's the minimum size you should consider.

Then, think about the future. Is the minimum possible enough to cover your needs for how long the HDD you buy might last- which can easily be 8-12 years from now. If that makes you think your backup need will grow- and it probably will- buy for 5-8 years from now instead of right now. Will there be more than just your computer to backup in that timeframe? Will you have a second computer that should also be backed up? If so, best estimate the combined storage and then multiply that by 3 or 4.

Example: lets imagine your 256GB plus "USB Sticks" = (wild guess) about 500GB. Multiply by 3 or 4 means right now you need 1500GB-2TB. Extrapolate need for maybe a half decade from now. Is that 500GB overall maybe 1TB in 2029 or so? If so, then I'd be thinking 3TB to 4TB right now. Having too much storage is a much better "problem" than having too little.

In US dollars, I'm seeing 1TB drives for about $50, give or take maybe $10-$15. A 4TB HDD is about $100, give or take about $15-$20.

Now, I don't know your situation but +$50 seems like it should not be much from about anywhere in the world. Take a couple more weeks before buying and save $15 bucks a week to come up with the difference. Then you can buy ONCE and probably be set for backup storage for the next 8-12 years.

You wisely say you want at least 2 drives. And that's right: the 3-2-1 backup concept mentioned in #14 is THE RIGHT WAY to go with backups. So if it takes a couple of weeks to scrounge up another $50 for one drive, give yourself a couple more weeks after that for drive #2. Then you have TWO 4TB drives. Backup everything to BOTH of them and get one of them offsite... to regularly rotate with the first one so you are reasonably up to date at all times and can almost entirely recover from fire/flood/theft scenarios that takes out BOTH computer + backup HDD at home/office.

OK, now let's take cost the other way
If money is that tight, consider other options. For example, returned/refurbed drives can cost a lot less than new one. A 4TB WD that comes up in a search on Amazon for $114 is available for $78 "Used-Like New" on Amazon as I type this. And I bet with some solid shopping around, I could track down 2 new or "used-like new" for maybe $130-150 for the pair. Isn't seller competition grand Apple people? Remember when we could do that with RAM and internal Mac storage?

Lower? Consider a bare drive dock and bare drives, which I use myself. It's easy to find 4TB HDD bare drives NEW for around $75 and in some cases less. "Renewed" can bring that down to about half that. OR, if you are willing to apply that approx. $100 each referenced above, $100 for "renewed" would buy you upwards of 12TB or so per drive. I'm not necessarily arguing FOR "renewed" HDDs though I have purchased a few of those myself and they've worked well for years.

A good dock can be purchased for $30-$50. Pick yourself up at least one HDD plastic case for the offsite storage packaging (that link is to a 5 pack).

Unlike anything you might buy from Apple for much more than up to $200, just about NONE of it will still be working for you in 8 years... or you will have felt compulsion to replace it long before 8 years. Scratch up the extra cash and buy a little overkill storage. 2029You will be glad you covered your future need than only your 2024 need with hardware that will probably still be working for you in 2034.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2ndStreet

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
As immediately above need probably at least 2 TB.
OK. But I still think buying a big, loud 3.5" HDD is a weird road to go down at this point when you can get that much storage in a tiny, fast, bus-powered and dead silent form factor.

Last edited:

2adOpin2

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2021
Also, if you are currently using Photos to store your photos/videos, you can have a Photos library on your computer and a separate Photos library on an external backup drive. You can switch between the two libraries when the external drive is plugged in by using the option key when opening the Photos app. I keep all my photos on an external back up which I then back up to a second external drive. That allows me to edit or delete photos on my computer to keep the storage being used to a reasonable size while still having all the photos remain easily accessible on the backups.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
OK. But I still think buying a big, loud 3.5" HDD is a weird road to go down at this point when you can get that much storage in a tiny, fast, bus-powered and dead silent form factor.

Lots of reasons, including

1. Much cheaper
2. Can be more reliable
3. For TM can get much larger capacity so longer history ...

etc.

SSD's are an improvement when booting, when extremely fast storage is needed for things like video editing, or due to environmental factors. For backups, which run in the background so speed is not an issue, they most often are a waste of money.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
These Days Storage is Dead cheap if you need and want to keep your Data it is a must anyway.

I have a 3,5 Rotating but only because it is a 12TB 200Bucks USB WD HardDrive with a Model Red inside and i just fire it up when needet.

• A WD External USB HD with 12TB was 200 for me and has a 190MB/sec Transfer Rate ( Second Backup with CCC )
  • 2x WD SN 770 NVME with 2TB was 99€ in Germany with an 10Gbit/sec external enclosure Innatek FE2025 ( 20 € ) makes 970MB/Sec and i have set up 1 for TM Backup and 1 for a File based Backup with FreeSync
  • 3rd Backup FreeSync over Network to a Hackintosh with 4TB NVME Storage

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Lots of reasons, including

1. Much cheaper
2. Can be more reliable
3. For TM can get much larger capacity so longer history ...

etc.

SSD's are an improvement when booting, when extremely fast storage is needed for things like video editing, or due to environmental factors. For backups, which run in the background so speed is not an issue, they most often are a waste of money.

I'm with you on HDDs being good backup tools, but my needs are just not great enough to warrant the footprint of a big 3.5" HDD enclosure.

I use HDDs for Time Machine myself for cost reasons and because, as you say, speed is just not very important for backups. However, I moved away some time ago from the 3.5" models and toward portable 2.5" ones just because they're bus-powered, quieter and more compact. The racket on those big 3.5" external HDDs was very annoying (desk is in my bedroom), and I didn't love the visual clutter of the enclosures and their wires.

My current setup just has two small bus-powered portable drives hidden away inside my desk -- one 2 TB SSD for my media and one 4 TB HDD for Time Machine (to back up my iMac's internal drive and the media drive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.