Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
It's amusing how many of the critics of current Apple line of products feel the need to say that Apple products do not deliver anymore, but they bought one and probably shouldn't have. All of that, in my book, is whining, you will keep buying and keep whining. The only constructive criticism is not to buy. This is the only criticism that works and makes a change.
I’ve been a Product Marketing Manager and Director for a very long time. Very early in my career, my boss sat me down and told me that, no matter how cool we make the product, how great we think it is, how many we sell, and what the press says about it... the ONLY person who can tell us why they decided to buy the product is the customer who actually bought it.

If someone bought a new Microsoft laptop and complains about Apple... that’s a fanboy and it’s not interesting. But when someone has bought the product and regrets the purchase, has bought your products for decades and is turning away from you... that is someone you should listen to.

Apple nearly went bankrupt once. They were arrogant, and it cost them.
Today, they have bigger cash reserves than some countries. They aren’t going bankrupt. But if their sales fall, their management team will get fired.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
It's amusing how many of the critics of current Apple line of products feel the need to say that Apple products do not deliver anymore, but they bought one and probably shouldn't have. All of that, in my book, is whining, you will keep buying and keep whining. The only constructive criticism is not to buy. This is the only criticism that works and makes a change. Until you do that nothing is going to change.
I'm not an Apple customer from 70s-80s, like some posters here, my first laptop was a 533Mhz Titanium Powerbook, which had paint coming off, loose hinges, low resolution display, but it was so incredibly revolutionary that I didn't care about all those minor defects, the following generations fixed that. But the company strategy was to appeal to professional segment. The Project Builder IDE was given away for free, the unix toolset and a nice terminal available immediately ... you can keep praising that time, but the bottom line is, despite the minor defects the entire product strategy made many people convert and invest their time and efforts into mac. People began thinking differently. Now the mac users are likely nothing more than an audience for app store, icloud, apple music etc who keep buying new iterations of devices so they can send more money to Apple. Took me a while to change my work environment away from apple and my 2015 MBP, which by the way is an amazing product, is the last device I bought. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, I just find it really amusing that so many people are genuinely unhappy, but keep investing into this.

I am guilty of this...multiple number of times but I have finally put a stop to it. My MBP 2015 is the last laptop I bought from Apple - I was supposed to upgrade this year but chose not to. We had a good deal on the Apple Watch S4 (15% off) and I like the watch but I skipped it because I did not want Apple to get anymore of my $. My cellular line was up for an upgrade and was offered a 0$ upgrade to iPhone XS but I instead declined and chose to take a discount in my bill while I continue to use the iPhone 8.

I will probably wait till next year October to see Apple's product pipeline (hoping they address our concerns). If not, I will move over completely to the Linux and Android camp - selling off my Apple gear.

derbaron

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2017
My biggest concern is that Apple will not see or have any reason to change their practice as long as people keep buying the products, independently from faulty keyboards or massive repair costs for their iPhone (if you drop your Xs Max after 12 months, you'll pay 600 $, even if just the back glass is cracked, an obscene amount). And even if sales might stagger in the future, it's in question if Apple will attribute it onto their decision regarding hardware and repair or just think: Our devices are not thin enough or not enough revolutionary, while this actually isn't a primary concern for most users.

derbaron

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2017
I see, however, a distinction between the smartphone/mobile device and computer section. The iPhones and iPads are from excellent quality and according to iFixit etc., sometimes better to repair than for example the new Pixel or S9. It's just too expensive. The MacBooks and iMacs on the other hand seem to actually haw flaws within the construction design. Would love to see a MacBook Pro with all parts screwed, easy to open for cleaning and repair. Would be pretty much an instant buy.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
people are genuinely unhappy, but keep investing into this.
I think people are still holding out hope that the next generation will be better. Then there's also the factor that while the hardware may be lacking, the software and/or, UX may be acceptable.

Take me for example. I'm not happy with the keyboard, especially after spending nearly 3k, but its a good laptop, though I have doubts it will last as long as my old 2012 laptop. Nonetheless, I opted for the MBP over a windows machine because of the apple ecosystem. I find I'm more efficient, and enjoy my the usage a lot more then a windows machine. Its just not about the hardware.

Reactions: SDColorado

rutrack

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
I think people are still holding out hope that the next generation will be better. Then there's also the factor that while the hardware may be lacking, the software and/or, UX may be acceptable.

Take me for example. I'm not happy with the keyboard, especially after spending nearly 3k, but its a good laptop, though I have doubts it will last as long as my old 2012 laptop. Nonetheless, I opted for the MBP over a windows machine because of the apple ecosystem. I find I'm more efficient, and enjoy my the usage a lot more then a windows machine. Its just not about the hardware.

I think that MacOS X as a platform is still benefiting from a good start and massive support from third party software providers. I'm not sure about windows on desktop, but linux is definitely lacking a lot of support that mac is benefiting from and we're talking about basic functionality here, like office suite and a decent email client. The paying customers, who keep Apple profitable, are probably fueling the platform sustainability and mac remains attractive for many software vendors. It's hard to stop a moving mammoth, unless it makes a mistake after mistake.

If we talk about the OSX itself, It is still the best all around balanced operating system for general usage, but there has not been a lot advancements for a long time. It's great that APFS has finally made it to production, but that was more a necessity, than a concentrated focus on the actual operating system. So while it is still a great consumer OS, there doesn't seem to be any interest in it. In the times of high resolution screens I do expect global font scaling. I don't want to spend hours installing concave, because the homebrew doesn't provide an easy way anymore and there seems to be less and less interest in it from a tech community. And it's not just about OSX either, not so long ago your linux laptop would not wake up from sleep 1 in 4 times, battery life was nowhere near macbook, all of that is gone now. Ridiculous hardware prices, failed keyboard design on all laptops and focus on emojii bar and apple pay with touch id interface are all reasons for the actual software to be loosing support from external sources. Not enough time has passed yet to see the effect.
It feels like there is nobody to vouch for users and usability at a board of directors tables, all about revenue and immediate profits. I think it's good while it lasts, but milking Apple and it's customers just might have a bottom line.

Last edited:

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
I think that MacOS X as a platform is still benefiting from a good start and massive support from third party software providers. I'm not sure about windows on desktop, but linux is definitely lacking a lot of support that mac is benefiting from and we're talking about basic functionality here, like office suite and a decent email client. The paying customers, who keep Apple profitable, are probably fueling the platform sustainability and mac remains attractive for many software vendors. It's hard to stop a moving mammoth, unless it makes a mistake after mistake.

If we talk about the OSX itself, It is still the best all around balanced operating system for general usage, but there has not been a lot advancements for a long time. It's great that APFS has finally made it to production, but that was more a necessity, than a concentrated focus on the actual operating system. So while it is still a great consumer OS, there doesn't seem to be any interest in it. In the times of high resolution screens I do expect global font scaling. I don't want to spend hours installing concave, because the homebrew doesn't provide an easy way anymore and there seems to be less and less interest in it from a tech community. And it's not just about OSX either, not so long ago your linux laptop would not wake up from sleep 1 in 4 times, battery life was nowhere near macbook, all of that is gone now. Ridiculous hardware prices, failed keyboard design on all laptops and focus on emojii bar and apple pay with touch id interface are all reasons for the actual software to be loosing support from external sources. Not enough time has passed yet to see the effect.
It feels like there is nobody to vouch for users and usability at a board of directors tables, all about revenue and immediate profits. I think it's good while it lasts, but milking Apple and it's customers just might have a bottom line.

I am of the opinion that macOS is too open for Apple's liking. The fact that anyone can write an app and host it on any web site where others can download and enjoy without Apple receiving any money would not be sitting well with them. Apple is slowly locking down macOS and eventually the regular users (you and I) will only be able to download apps from Apple's macOS App Store. They will further lock down the OS so a lot of the system files are not accessible by the user. Nothing that this is already the case but for now can be turned off in the recovery console, it isn't too far a stretch of the imagination that this ability to disable the filesystem lock-down is removed in a future update.

Lock down the system and lock down the access to apps results in Apple taking control of your laptop in a manner similar to the control they have with your iPhone. If you're a dev, you'll have to pay to get your app into the App Store.

Perhaps once the lockdown is complete, macOS and iOS become one operating system, with slightly different user interfaces.

derbaron

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2017
An honest addition to my criticism on Apple here: I have to admit that I wasn't able to transform to the Note9. Although the build quality is coming close to iPhone levels and the screen is lovely, I just hate the Bixby button and the Samsung apps. I can't even uninstall them, as well as LinkedIn, Facebook and other bloatware. I needed to create two separate accounts to use all features, for Google and Samsung, which basically want access to everything. The fingerprint scanner is so tiny you always miss it and smear the camera. It also has a lot of missings, probably due to its size. Same is for the keyboard, I think it was the Samsung version installed. The number row is nice, but otherwise typing is worse than on iOS, you can't even search/show for Emojis (which I rarely use) and have to go through the list. Using the "longer press" for alternative letters isn't nearly as smooth. I also didn't like the multitasking, how app switching works, actually the whole experience in general seems much better and easier in iOS. Maybe I'm just biased because I'm used to it.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
I am of the opinion that macOS is too open for Apple's liking. The fact that anyone can write an app and host it on any web site where others can download and enjoy without Apple receiving any money would not be sitting well with them. Apple is slowly locking down macOS and eventually the regular users (you and I) will only be able to download apps from Apple's macOS App Store. They will further lock down the OS so a lot of the system files are not accessible by the user. Nothing that this is already the case but for now can be turned off in the recovery console, it isn't too far a stretch of the imagination that this ability to disable the filesystem lock-down is removed in a future update.

Lock down the system and lock down the access to apps results in Apple taking control of your laptop in a manner similar to the control they have with your iPhone. If you're a dev, you'll have to pay to get your app into the App Store.

Perhaps once the lockdown is complete, macOS and iOS become one operating system, with slightly different user interfaces.
There are legitimate arguments for these lockdowns. Security has a lot of benefits.

Reactions: 88Keys

cfdlab

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
It used to be Apple Computers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.) and the computer was dropped. Now most of their profits come from phone/tablets. While mac revenues are small in relative terms, it is still a good business judged on its own merits. The problem is we have same management for both products, and they will compare things which shouldn't be compared. I dont see the mac getting proper attention under a combined management team. -- Unhappy mac fan.

Last edited:

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
I am picking up my 2017 MBP soon after having the T key fall off one to many times, and the sudden failure of all (i.e. both) USB-C ports, plus issues with returning from sleep (it would take minutes for the display to appear). It is about 2 months out of official warranty (that is I got it at the end of August 2017), but I've been told that everything is covered under warranty (not sure who's warranty that is - whether it is based on an apple recall or Australian consumer protection warranties)

It's **** that these new devices don't seem to last as long as the older laptops (I still use a MBA from 2011 and a MBP from 2015). I doubt I will ever get another one unless their reliability increases dramatically.

Oh, I also found out that there is a recall on the round power adaptor plugs, at least in Australia (I think they official call them duck heads). Apparently they can catch fire without warning. As I've seen no mention of the recall, I thought I would add it here.

While I agree that things should last longer, my white MB from 2008 had three bottom cases, two keyboards and two displays and I took very good care of it. I finally ditched it when the battery blew up even though it was replaceable. So, when you think that they don't last as long, I think you may be have just been lucky. My wife's MB Pro has been flawless.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Stumbled across Louis Rossmann YouTube channel and this guy is very informative/entertaining about the Apple notebooks he repairs and a little potty mouth :rolleyes: as well. But he is well educated in the field of notebook repairs and I kind a like watching this though I will never repair anything such as a notebook. I like apple products, specially the iPad and the iPhone, but I’m a little worried about the MacBooks, so I will steer away from the notebook products from Apple and buy a Lenovo instead. If anybody has a chance you should go look up Louis Rossmann YouTube channel.

Reactions: macjunk(ie)

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Once 100% Apple both professionally and privately, today zero and I veto all requests for Apple hardware as it's simply not good enough.

Q-6

Then it's you running my IT department!!!!!

Let's have a talk about these freaking Dells you're giving me. They're horrible.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I wont entertain Dell either :p

Q-6

Hmm .... now that you mention it I frequently see the displays flickering on the XPS display models at the stores near me. I asked one store about it and they said it was because all their display models get abused and are in 24/7. I didn’t think much about it at the time, but if that’s the cause, why was Dell the only brand doing it?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Hmm .... now that you mention it I frequently see the displays flickering on the XPS display models at the stores near me. I asked one store about it and they said it was because all their display models get abused and are in 24/7. I didn’t think much about it at the time, but if that’s the cause, why was Dell the only brand doing it?

Dell has a fantastic on site response, however the hardware is very much built to a cost. The Precision line is relatively decent although overkill for many. Personally I think it's Dell's support that attracts business and of course the pricing.

I used them for years, equally the notebooks never impressed, nor did they last the course...

Q-6

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Dell has a fantastic on site response, however the hardware is very much built to a cost. The Precision line is relatively decent although overkill for many. Personally I think it's Dell's support that attracts business and of course the pricing.

I used them for years, equally the notebooks never impressed, nor did they last the course...

Q-6

Customer service, if Laptop Magazines ratings are worth much, does seem to be 2nd only to Apples. But the way Apple has been of late, that may shift in next years ratings. I am not even sure who has the best hardware these days, every opinion piece, magazine, blog or column has its own opinion :)

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
I wont entertain Dell either :p

Q-6

My entry into the Apple ecosystem was thanks to a Dell d620 running Snow Leopard. Once I started using OSX it was like Linux had finally made it to the desktop (I know it is BSD at the core). But to have a good, clean, fast UI atop a Unix system with proper Unix commands... That was it for me, I was hooked.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.