Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
I currently have an M1 13” MacBook Pro. I’m looking into replacing it prior to the M4 laptops coming out. I’m just starting to feel like my current unit is getting occasionally sluggish. I do coding, photo editing, and very light 3D rendering work. A big reason I want to upgrade is I have 512GB and it really isn’t enough anymore, as well as me finding my current screen too small to do any work without a second monitor.

I’m looking into my options and an “equivalently” speced 15” Air is $1000 less than a 16” Pro with M3 Pro. (24/1TB to 36/1TB) I know you get a lot of good features in the pro but I’m not convinced it’s worth the price.

Is there a good resource that compares the M1 vs the M3 and M3 Pro? Bonus points if it has a focus on stuff like code.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
ArtIsRight has a few detailed comparisions for photo editing, and may have posted others in addition to these:

Reactions: Chuckeee

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Is there a good resource that compares the M1 vs the M3 and M3 Pro? Bonus points if it has a focus on stuff like code.
It’s certainly more challenging to find Xcode (compiling) comparisons, although, I did manage to dig this up:

Apple-M3-Pro-and-Max-Xcode-Benchmark-Nov-2023-1280.jpg

The 70 seconds result on a 16-core M3 Max does match up with Tom’s Hardware:
We introduced the Xcode Benchmark when testing the 16-inch MacBook Pro with M2 Max earlier this year. That laptop took 85 seconds to complete the test, while our M3 Max review unit accomplished the same feat in just 70 seconds.

So, I assume, the above bar graph chart should be fairly accurate.

(Notice where the M1 Pro lands? Quite frankly, I’m not surprised. And, I think, it bodes well for longevity, future software support and performance viability.)

As for video editing… Beyond YouTubers, there are PugetBench scores:

13-inch M1 MBP:

15-inch, M3 MBA:

16-inch M3 Pro MBP:

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
Alex Ziskind does quite a bit of code-related tests. You might have to to watch a few of his videos to piece together the full M1 to M3 picture, but he has a wealth of data that should adequately satisfy your need 🤩.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.