Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
I havent posted alot of pics on the web for awhile and wanted to know what people are doing nowadays. I was thinking of using my Comcast acct and using my webspace there to upload pics. Good idea? I'd appreciate any feedback, thx !

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I think comcast webspace is terrible, but maybe thats just my opinion.

For free hosting, I think flickr is the best, and Google picasa comes in second.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Many people use Zenfolio.com or Smugmug.com. There is also PBase.com. None of these are free, though. In addition to Flickr there are the free sites Image Shack and Photobucket.

If you have a dot mac account you can put a gallery of your images up on your own website, too.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I'd have to say Flickr is the best free service. If you are willing to pay then check out Smugmug.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
Go with flickr if you like the whole social community/networking aspect.

Otherwise, I'd suggest either Smugmug or Zenfolio. Both provide a clean and professional-looking interface. I went with Zenfolio after trying the Smugmug trial account. I found Zenfolio to be a little easier to use and I preferred the look and layout options of the Zenfolio pages. Have a look at my zenfolio page (link in signature below).

The one thing i wish Zenfolio had was the option for visitors to leave comments... Smugmug has this. Zenfolio has been promising this feature for a while now and it has yet to surface. I'll be patient. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these sites.

coastertux

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
I really like Zenfolio, if you want professional but at a lower cost than SmugMug, check it out. If you use my referral code it gets you $5 off any plan. AG2-MRX-S3Z

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
This is going to sound like complete spam... but I'm a devoted and zealous customer.

SmugMug!

For two reasons: great customer service and unlim storage/bandwith.

Their customer service usually respond in MINUTES.

In addition, a few months ago it was late (10pm CST) Thursday and I needed photos for a grieving family by Saturday morning. Smugmug not only pushed my order to the top of the pile at their printing facility, but upgraded the shipping to overnight/sat. AM free of charge. I got the photos 6pm Friday and was able to hand deliver them Saturday morning.

Who else would have done this, let alone free of charge? They're truly compassionate and devoted people.

Save me $10, you $5 with the referral code: AD2YtsjXceosE

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I've been using Flickr Pro ($25/year I think) for a year or so and love it. I have over five hundred high-resolution images (4x6 300dpi), most with commentary, and have been very happy with it. As a very minor note, if Microsoft buys Yahoo, I'm not sure how that will affect Flickr, which is owned by Yahoo.

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Probably flickr, photobucket, service that comes with your ISP.

I would recommend just buying a domain and getting a server it's pretty cheap. I pay 65 a year for 350gb of disk space and 70,000gb of bandwidth.

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
Probably flickr, photobucket, service that comes with your ISP.

I would recommend just buying a domain and getting a server it's pretty cheap. I pay 65 a year for 350gb of disk space and 70,000gb of bandwidth.

All great advice. Thx to all. I'll check out the different options.

Terwal

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Hi,

I was actually trying to decide last night which software should I use to share some of my pictures with my friends/family. So far, was hesitating between Picasa and Mac Web Gallery.

What I like in both:

- ability to download pictures (and upload pictures) straight from (to) iPhoto
- free

What I like in Picasa:

- privacy settings: possible to send 1 specific private album to a list of people: only them can access it and they don't see any of my other private albums on Picasa

What I like in Web Gallery:

- very good looking interface
- but I don't like the fact that to protect privacy, one has to set up a specific username/password per album and that recepient of a specific album, even though cannot look at the other albums, can still see that they exist...

Any views ? Opinions ? Clarifications around the respective privacy options ?

(Have never looked at flickr. Given comments above, seems like I should.)

Thanks,

w.

skiesforme

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I havent posted alot of pics on the web for awhile and wanted to know what people are doing nowadays. I was thinking of using my Comcast acct and using my webspace there to upload pics. Good idea? I'd appreciate any feedback, thx !

Flickr and Picasaweb !

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Hi,

I was actually trying to decide last night which software should I use to share some of my pictures with my friends/family. So far, was hesitating between Picasa and Mac Web Gallery.

What I like in both:

- ability to download pictures (and upload pictures) straight from (to) iPhoto
- free

What I like in Picasa:

- privacy settings: possible to send 1 specific private album to a list of people: only them can access it and they don't see any of my other private albums on Picasa

What I like in Web Gallery:

- very good looking interface
- but I don't like the fact that to protect privacy, one has to set up a specific username/password per album and that recepient of a specific album, even though cannot look at the other albums, can still see that they exist...

Any views ? Opinions ? Clarifications around the respective privacy options ?

(Have never looked at flickr. Given comments above, seems like I should.)

Thanks,

w.

Have you read the terms and conditions of Picassa? You lose all right to your work if you upload it on there. Google state they own it and any 3rd party who works with Google may use it for whatever purpose they deem fit.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I just bought a Flickr and I am kind of obsessed :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenrowsell

That talk about Microsoft buying Yahoo is worrying me... what does that mean for Flickr, if that does happen??????

Assuming the deal goes through (who knows!) given the community size etc you would think MS would want to stick with Flickr as opposed to starting over etc etc. I could see it being merged a bit with their Live setup.

Also keep in mind on the login side we would wait and see how the two messenger products are handled. There is also the possbility that the DoJ could require the combined entity to sell of some assets as well so Flickr could go it alone or something else.

Right now there are too many possibilities and almost no facts, so have fun, use the service and regardless of what happens, always ensure you have backups of your files.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
they'll probably rename it MS pictureshare or whatever creative name their marketing team comes up with, make it somehow communicate with Messenger via live updates or something....i dunno, i don't really see them axing flickr because it's hugely popular and quite a success.

I just bought a Flickr and I am kind of obsessed :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenrowsell

That talk about Microsoft buying Yahoo is worrying me... what does that mean for Flickr, if that does happen??????

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Pretty much what most people are saying: flickr. It's pretty sleek, quick and convenient for uploading, organizing and sharing photos.

Moreover, it allows you to network with people pretty effectively, without falling victim to the myspace/facebook-ish stalker syndrome or be a victim to others' syndromes.

All in all, flickr is pretty addictive, in the sense that it really gives you incentive to get out there and take the best photos possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.