Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I use a Flickr account, but for posting in the 'Photo of the Day' thread here, Flickr's large photo size is generally too large. In that scenario, I use a smaller photo size and I upload it to ImageShack.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I havent posted alot of pics on the web for awhile and wanted to know what people are doing nowadays. I was thinking of using my Comcast acct and using my webspace there to upload pics. Good idea? I'd appreciate any feedback, thx !

Flickr, Google's Picosa smug mug and the like are all pre-made image galeries. They are mostly well done but if you use your own hosting company you get total control of the page and how it looks and works. You can (say) iWeb to design the pages then just FP the whole bundle up to your web host. More hassle but you have total control.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
they'll probably rename it MS pictureshare or whatever creative name their marketing team comes up with, make it somehow communicate with Messenger via live updates or something....i dunno, i don't really see them axing flickr because it's hugely popular and quite a success.

Yep. Flickr has brand recognition. MS-whatchamacallit doesn't. They're better off sticking to the name Flickr and not altering it at all. However, MS makes some pretty dumb moves sometimes, so we'd have to see.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This is going to sound like complete spam... but I'm a devoted and zealous customer.

SmugMug!

For two reasons: great customer service and unlim storage/bandwith.

Their customer service usually respond in MINUTES.

In addition, a few months ago it was late (10pm CST) Thursday and I needed photos for a grieving family by Saturday morning. Smugmug not only pushed my order to the top of the pile at their printing facility, but upgraded the shipping to overnight/sat. AM free of charge. I got the photos 6pm Friday and was able to hand deliver them Saturday morning.

Who else would have done this, let alone free of charge? They're truly compassionate and devoted people.

Save me $10, you $5 with the referral code: AD2YtsjXceosE
I'm a devoted Smugmugger myself. They continually update the site with new features that are useful (video uploads in almost any format) and provide pretty powerful layout options. Love the unlimited bandwidth, multiple privacy options, uploads are fast (DSL) and the price is relatively dirt cheap for what you get.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I'm a devoted Smugmugger myself. They continually update the site with new features that are useful (video uploads in almost any format) and provide pretty powerful layout options. Love the unlimited bandwidth, multiple privacy options, uploads are fast (DSL) and the price is relatively dirt cheap for what you get.

I'm also a devoted Smugmugger, I pretty much agree with everything above. They updated the video uploads? Need to check that out =)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It's funny... even on non-photo boards, when people bring up Microsoft's attempt to take over Yahoo the one thing that always comes up is "please don't mess with Flickr!"

Unfortunately, since Microsoft recently purchased iView I have no doubt "messing with Flickr" will happen sooner rather than later. People will have to live with it. Heck, I wasn't particularly happy when Yahoo forced me to create a Yahoo ID just to continue using Flickr. I had bought a 2-year membership early on, and they gave me an extra 2 years on top of that so there's some lock in (due to inertia) for me - so I didn't want to hassle with switching to SmugMug or wherever. :D

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
+1 for Smugmug

If you look around the web, you should be able to find 20% off coupons, so your yearly fee comes to around $30, which is pretty good.

I used to host my pics on my personal web space, but this got cumbersome for someone of limited web hosting knowledge (like me).

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005

The video uploads are only for pro users, and are somewhat limited in length, aren't they? I remember looking and feeling like I was going to need to drop some $85 a year for a full pro account, and would even then be limited to videos < 5 minutes or something. Half of the reason I'm interested in a photo sharing site is to be able to share both the pictures and the silly little videos that you take with your camera. Those are often more than 2 minutes long.

Phanfare looks to be a better deal for sharing videos. but the galleries definitely don't look as professional. And the videos are playable as flash rather than h.264, though the h.264 / avi / original format is available for download.

Basically, I'm still looking for a smugmug like site, for about 50 bucks a year, that lets me upload high-res videos up to 5 minutes long, and they actually keep a backup of the original upload rather than converting it and ditching the original.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
The video uploads are only for pro users, and are somewhat limited in length, aren't they? I remember looking and feeling like I was going to need to drop some $85 a year for a full pro account, and would even then be limited to videos < 5 minutes or something. Half of the reason I'm interested in a photo sharing site is to be able to share both the pictures and the silly little videos that you take with your camera. Those are often more than 2 minutes long.

I can't refute any of the technical aspects you've just listed (i.e. length limitations, pro-only), however the pro account is $150/yr. Perhaps you're thinking of a power user account?

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
For now, I use Pbase. $23/year gives me 500MB of storage. I also like the camera and lens search feature.

As for flickr, I find the interface horrible and the photos are just too small to be of any use.

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I pay 60 a year and get 350gb of disk space, and 7,000GB or bandwidth.

Of course, this is not for a web album type deal, but I use it for a couple sites, my portfolio, and weekly pictures from a car event. But I use it to backup many of my personal items, photos, videos, application installers etc. But you can set up very clean galleries for you images.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Adobe Photoshop Express just opened up.

Seems pretty cool...

http://express.photoshop.com

…except you yield your exclusive rights to the photos. Not cool

Adobe said:
Please note that when you share Your Content, your User Name and Personal URL is made public, and recipients may in the future be able to share Your Content with others, add Your Content to their own accounts, and make photographic prints of Your Content.
See it here.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
Flickr is the most popular and cost effective way, but read the terms of service first, it is something that always put me off using Flickr but that's just a person thing.

The way I do it is using a Dreamhost for my web hosting and use Wordpress as a photoblog system, I like to document what my photographs mean to me and why they were taken, I feel it is very important to give a back story to each image and that certainly helps with the SEO.

Depends how serious of a photographer you are / aspire to be and how much control over what system you use. I personally have complete control over my website, it comes at a price but you tell me which you prefer?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
they'll probably rename it MS pictureshare or whatever creative name their marketing team comes up with, make it somehow communicate with Messenger via live updates or something....i dunno, i don't really see them axing flickr because it's hugely popular and quite a success.
Probably more like:

Microsoft Live PictureShare Pro for Windows designed for Vista, powered by Silverlight™.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.