Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 89

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Aah, that should mean....60D is coming or 7D whatever it might be called.

The rumor that I heard so far is 50D replacement, might (just might) be APS-H cause something about Canon is pretty darn confident that their D300 competitor will beat D300 replacement. So must admit that is a pretty bold statement considering we don't even know how D300s is going to be.

Now, which one will release first, D300s or 60D/7D/3D??

Also, if Canon were to make APS-H for 50D replacement (it sort of guarantees better high ISO performance then whatever Nikon might come out with APS-C DSLRs), I wonder what will Nikon do then :rolleyes:

McQ14

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
That's an interesting development alright. What do they have cooked up?
It'll be interesting to see. They will need to pull out all the stops to beat the D3 high ISO performance. But if they do it, it'll drive Nikon mad. I shoot with a D3 and a D300 primarily now and that high ISO performance on the D3 is just plain sick! But it is one pricey camera! It is a constant battle between these two companies, and I love seeing how the competition drives such amazing technological advancements.

One day we will joke about how our 11 fps, FX cameras only got up to 25,600 ISO. ;)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
And one day we will all wonder how we used to pay a lot for FF (that is when APS-C only end up in the entry level models) :rolleyes:

Then we will start saying Medium Format cameras is expensive. LOL

Hmm, I wonder what ISO will it be then? ISO 25600 native? ISO 51200 and ISO 102400 boosted? LOL

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Discontinuing 40D now is nothing new, they have done this [having two models available] before. It makes sense to keep selling the old body as long as they have them on stock, and now that storage is almost empty there's no reason to mfg any more of the old stuff.

But if the 60D indeed would have 1.3 crop factor, I'd be interested in upgrading my 40D to the bigger sensor. I've already been eyeing on older 2nd hand 1DmkII bodies but I think new 60D would be even better deal if that sensor upgrade happened. Don't really want to buy new 5DmkII and 2nd hand mkI makes me wonder.

Well, we'll have to wait and see ;)

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
Maybe I can finally afford a secondhand 40D now!! :rolleyes:

even a few months back the 40D was a good deal, especially refurbished. Picked mine up for just over 700 with the kit lens and a Extreme III card.

It'll be interesting to see if this really pans out. If so, I can see myself picking up a refurbished one in 2-3 years.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
The rumor that I heard so far is 50D replacement, might (just might) be APS-H cause something about Canon is pretty darn confident that their D300 competitor will beat D300 replacement. So must admit that is a pretty bold statement considering we don't even know how D300s is going to be.

Well now THIS would definitely stink, because of my investment in the 17-55 EF-S and the Tokina 11-16, both fantastic lenses for the 1.6 sensor cameras. If I upgraded to the 60D or whatever they call it, I would also have to shell out the long green for a 24-105 or 24-70, one of which is f/4 and the other of which has IS, but neither of which have both f/2.8 AND IS.

Or I could happily go on using my 40D, which is already paid for and takes great photographs! :D

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
They will need to pull out all the stops to beat the D3 high ISO performance.

The D700 has the same high ISO performance as the D700, except that it's only about $2700 right now, which is a good deal less than the D3.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They will need to pull out all the stops to beat the D3 high ISO performance.

The D700 has the same high ISO performance as the D700, except that it's only about $2700 right now, which is a good deal less than the D3.

Wanna try that again? ;)

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The rumor that I heard so far is 50D replacement, might (just might) be APS-H

That would regulate the EF-S lenses to Rebel only status then. I for one would welcome a larger sensor in the Canon mid-range. I got a lot of good years out of my 20D, I look forward to replacing it with the rumored APS-H 60D.:) OTOH, I'll bet there will be alot of piss off a lot of Canonites.

Well now THIS would definitely stink, because of my investment in the 17-55 EF-S and the Tokina 11-16, both fantastic lenses for the 1.6 sensor cameras.

See;)

Makes me glad I never invested in EF-S lenses. Since the advent of the 5D, I knew I'd make the jump to FF someday.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Over at photography-on-the.net they are having fun with the 60D rumors...

I heard from a friend who has a friend who's sister works for a camera store. The 60D is going to break new ground by using a new type of sensor that is going to leap a magnitude over CMOS, NMOS, Live MOS, Foveon, and Kodak's new technology (http://digital-photography.suite101.com/article.cfm/kodaks_new_digital_photo_sensor). It's called RVG-MOS*, which might change once the camera is released. Word has it that it will still be an APS-C sensor, but it will produce noiseless images up to ISO 51200, which will allow it to take pictures of cosmic ray sparkles in total dark!!! This will open up new realms of creative photography and snapshots. It will also have a 12-stop dynamic range!! And Canon will finally end the megapixel wars by offering it with the all-that's-needed 10 megapixels. Battery life will be 10,000 shots per battery, so it will not be offered with a grip. This is sure to disappoint photographers who want everybody to think that they're shooting a 1D Mark III. It's going to be released simultaneously with the f/0.6L 35mm EF-S and f/1.4L 80-700mm EF-S lenses. Already, people are saying that photographers are lining up to dump their 1D Mark IIIs.

*Really-Very-Good-MOS

I know you're all laughing but this rumour is true. I heard from my brother's sister's brother that the new 60D will have an organic sensor made from using human stem cells to grow human retina tissue. The delay in the 60D's release is directly attributable to the problems that Canon is having converting their factories to tissue culture labs. I also heard from my brother's sister's brother that Canon are now on top of the problems they experienced and the cloning labs are now fully operational. So, expect a ground-breaking press release from Canon regarding the 60D very very soon.

joro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Over at photography-on-the.net they are having fun with the 60D rumors..

I heard from my brother's sister's brother that the new 60D will have an organic sensor made from using human stem cells to grow human retina tissue.

See the incredible things they can do with technology today!?!? ;)

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
That would regulate the EF-S lenses to Rebel only status then. I for one would welcome a larger sensor in the Canon mid-range. I got a lot of good years out of my 20D, I look forward to replacing it with the rumored APS-H 60D.:) OTOH, I'll bet there will be alot of piss off a lot of Canonites.

See;)

Makes me glad I never invested in EF-S lenses. Since the advent of the 5D, I knew I'd make the jump to FF someday.

If you find a great deal on the web (used, or even new), you won't lose money on the lenses. I had the 10-22mm EF-S and the 18-55 MKI and i made money on the 10-22mm and the 18-55mm was part of the kit on the 30D. Sure, it is a pain having to sell incompatible lenses when moving onto FF, but it isn't like there isn't demand for them.

I would expect to see an announcement in mid to late august for the 60D, and it should be on shelves in late september. I also expect some sort of new body, to fit between the xxD series, 5D and the 1D series.

I don't know if we will see a sub $2K FF body THIS year, but i think there could be a new body that incorporates the durability and AF system of the 1 series and the characteristics of the xxD series. I think something like 45pt AF, capable low light AF, weathersealing (I mean ability to shoot in rain, like we have here a lot) 7.8 fps (maybe even a power booster, a la the 1V and EOS-3) and a 1.3 cropped sensor. I think there has always been a gap between the 50D and the 1DMKxx. I think we are getting really close to an EOS-3D. Maybe there are going to be some new lenses released as well. But who knows...

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Don't you over-complicate things?

The way I see it, they:

a) have three product lines
- the xD-series
- the xxD-series
- the xxxD-series

b) use three sensor sizes
- the full frame (currently 1DS and 5D)
- the APS-H frame (currently 1D)
- the APS-C frame (currently xxD and xxxD)

Wouldn't it be simplest and most elegant to have:

1) FF sized xD-series
2) APS-H sized xxD-series
3) APS-C sized xxxD-series

This way their product line would be easy to understand.

They could also make it very simple for the 1D-series once the APS-H is dropped from the flagship line. There could be top-of-the-line 1DmarkIV full-framer (with built-in battery grip) coupled with physically smaller 5DmarkIII full-framer (without battery grip) and let them be otherwise close to identical in performance. Or in case they need more product variety they could easily have 3D or 7D as long as single digit would mean full-frame sensor. Would be very simple and understandable.

Now the xxD product line, if indeed the 60D would have APS-H frame, it would be insanely great. And they could drop APS-H sized 1D in the next revision. The xxD product line does not have to necessarily have all the goodies, it could very well be slower and whatever, but I'd sure love to see cheaper 1.3 crop sensor. Prosumers would love this step up, and would make Nikon's 1.5 crop look worse on comparable models ;)

And this would effectively mean 1.6 crop sensors are left for entry-level DSLR models (xxxD), which would also make sense because beginners want small equipment that are even a little bit cheaper.

Oh, well -- I guess we can always dream ;) Maybe I'll just have to buy that 5DmarkII and stop waiting for a miracle.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009

See;)

Yeah, I guess. But the 40D is still a great camera, and paid for. I don't use all of its best features by half. I keep seeing that 5D-2 price tag and think, "....Nah." Not that it isn't worth it, but that in the range of things of value in my life, it is a low priority. And, I'm a camera keeper. I still have (and use) my AE-1P, my F1N, and my EOS-1N, plus all my point and shoots (of which I still use the G9 and the Nikon P5000).

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Does anyone have any details of how long after their espective replacedments came out the 20D & 30D were retired?

I know the 30D was still reasonably well available via online stores in March 08 when I got my 40D. Maybe they were able to clear 40D pretty quickly or had better managed the inventory they had, or maybe just the price was right?

The 40D at the $8-900 pricing for the kit was a pretty good deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.