Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Happy customer here. Got my rMB 17 days after ordering. Much better outcome than I expected after ordering on April 10th, and many people still won't get theirs for a few more weeks.

I posted my impressions on here the other week after using the rMB and at the Apple store and I was floored. But as we all know, using it at the store and actually owning it yourself are two completely different experiences. And to be honest, I was a bit worried I would feel it would be too much compromise...especially after reading some of the recent user reports on here. But everyone is different and has their own use case.

I love it. For whatever reason, my experience so far isn't too much different than it was at the Apple store. I don't need to adjust to the keyboard, I'm happy with the screen size, etc. And I'm even finding the palm/wrist rest space area more comfortable than it was on the 11-inch Air I owned a few years back.

If anything, my biggest concern going in was using an extreme ultraportable as my daily driver. I'm coming from a 13" rMBP, which I love. 13" has always been my ideal screen size for laptops, and I think the rMBP has the perfect design for a 13-inch laptop. Before that, I had the 11-inch Air which I struggled with and thought was too small.

For whatever reason, I'm not finding any issues with the 12-inch display. Sure, it's only .04" bigger than the 11-inch Air and is 1.3" smaller than the rMBP, but compared to the Air...it has a 16:10 ratio, Retina display, black/smaller bezel, and the ability to scale resolutions. I've been running at 1440x900, and it's perfect. Things don't really appear to be any smaller than they are at 1280x800.

The 13" rMBP was my only computer, just as the 11" Air was. From what I can see, the people who are returning their rMB are doing it very valid reasons. This machine does have some compromises if you are seeking to use it as your only computer or even as your primary work laptop.

I am going to use the 12" rMB as my only computer, and I'm confident enough in it that I'll sell my rMBP shortly. My Mac is my workhorse, and here's what I use it for: most of the things I do are web-based. I do a lot of writing and things in other lightweight applications. Occasionally, I edit videos and rip Blu-rays to MKVs...but that kind of stuff I'll just let the rMB handle overnight or something. It seems like the Core M is powerful enough to do it, just takes longer than the rMBP/Air. And given that I don't do those things on a daily basis, I'll be fine.

But yeah, I don't actually do anything that demanding apart from those things. And the port issue, the only thing I have ever used the ports for are connecting an external Blu-ray drive and charging my smartphone. I guess I'll just charge from the wall now.

On paper, I actually see no reason to trade in my rMBP for the rMB. I adore the 13-inch screen size, it's more powerful and will handle my MKV ripping with ease, I get to keep my 1TB SSD, etc. But I travel a lot, and I mean a lot. Since I got the 13" rMBP in late-2013...I've used it on beaches, buses, trains, planes (flights ranging from 9-15 hours), etc.

So if I can get a smaller Mac where I don't feel like I'm compromising on anything, then I'm all for it. History shows me that I upgrade my Mac not for performance reasons, but if a certain feature (Air was lightweight, Pro had the Retina display) makes me enjoy using my laptop more or makes me more productive. As I said earlier, most of my work is web-based...so while the bigger 13.3" display is nice, screen real estate isn't crucial. And since I'm running 1440x900, I don't really notice a difference.

I've never been one to go after the smallest Mac laptop just because it's the smallest and most portable. But I'm there now. Where as some people are returning it because they feel it has one too many compromises, I actually don't feel like I'm compromising on anything.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Happy customer here. Got my rMB 17 days after ordering. Much better outcome than I expected after ordering on April 10th, and many people still won't get theirs for a few more weeks.

I posted my impressions on here the other week after using the rMB and at the Apple store and I was floored. But as we all know, using it at the store and actually owning it yourself are two completely different experiences. And to be honest, I was a bit worried I would feel it would be too much compromise...especially after reading some of the recent user reports on here. But everyone is different and has their own use case.

I love it. For whatever reason, my experience so far isn't too much different than it was at the Apple store. I don't need to adjust to the keyboard, I'm happy with the screen size, etc. And I'm even finding the palm/wrist rest space area more comfortable than it was on the 11-inch Air I owned a few years back.

If anything, my biggest concern going in was using an extreme ultraportable as my daily driver. I'm coming from a 13" rMBP, which I love. 13" has always been my ideal screen size for laptops, and I think the rMBP has the perfect design for a 13-inch laptop. Before that, I had the 11-inch Air which I struggled with and thought was too small.

For whatever reason, I'm not finding any issues with the 12-inch display. Sure, it's only .04" bigger than the 11-inch Air and is 1.3" smaller than the rMBP, but compared to the Air...it has a 16:10 ratio, Retina display, black/smaller bezel, and the ability to scale resolutions. I've been running at 1440x900, and it's perfect. Things don't really appear to be any smaller than they are at 1280x800.

The 13" rMBP was my only computer, just as the 11" Air was. From what I can see, the people who are returning their rMB are doing it very valid reasons. This machine does have some compromises if you are seeking to use it as your only computer or even as your primary work laptop.

I am going to use the 12" rMB as my only computer, and I'm confident enough in it that I'll sell my rMBP shortly. My Mac is my workhorse, and here's what I use it for: most of the things I do are web-based. I do a lot of writing and things in other lightweight applications. Occasionally, I edit videos and rip Blu-rays to MKVs...but that kind of stuff I'll just let the rMB handle overnight or something. It seems like the Core M is powerful enough to do it, just takes longer than the rMBP/Air. And given that I don't do those things on a daily basis, I'll be fine.

But yeah, I don't actually do anything that demanding apart from those things. And the port issue, the only thing I have ever used the ports for are connecting an external Blu-ray drive and charging my smartphone. I guess I'll just charge from the wall now.

On paper, I actually see no reason to trade in my rMBP for the rMB. I adore the 13-inch screen size, it's more powerful and will handle my MKV ripping with ease, I get to keep my 1TB SSD, etc. But I travel a lot, and I mean a lot. Since I got the 13" rMBP in late-2013...I've used it on beaches, buses, trains, planes (flights ranging from 9-15 hours), etc.

So if I can get a smaller Mac where I don't feel like I'm compromising on anything, then I'm all for it. History shows me that I upgrade my Mac not for performance reasons, but if a certain feature (Air was lightweight, Pro had the Retina display) makes me enjoy using my laptop more or makes me more productive. As I said earlier, most of my work is web-based...so while the bigger 13.3" display is nice, screen real estate isn't crucial. And since I'm running 1440x900, I don't really notice a difference.

I've never been one to go after the smallest Mac laptop just because it's the smallest and most portable. But I'm there now. Where as some people are returning it because they feel it has one too many compromises, I actually don't feel like I'm compromising on anything.

Benchmarks por favor

Thalesian

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
rMB and Virtualization

Do you use any kind of virtualization software (Parallells, VMware, etc.) for windows?

Do you notice any kind of lag with the UI?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Do you use any kind of virtualization software (Parallells, VMware, etc.) for windows?

Do you notice any kind of lag with the UI?

I don't run Windows. Most of my apps are either exclusive to OS X or run better on a Mac, so no need. Haven't come across any lag yet. In the next few days or so I'm going to rip some MKVs and see how it goes.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Sorry, no photos...but today I was reminded why the switch to the rMB makes sense for me: sitting on the waterfront patio at one of my frequented restaurants, chilling back in a lounge chair and using the lightweight rMB. It's definitely easy to use comfortable on your lap in almost any scenario. Truly a take-anywhere laptop. I always did this with my rMBP, but it was never ideal in the way the rMB is.

phill85

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
1.1/256gb sg mb here. I agree with Everything you've said, it's an absolutely fantastic computer. Will definitely be keeping this thing for quite awhile :cool:

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
Good to see your having a good experience so far. I have an older core 2 duo MacBook Pro that I want to replace. I've been debating between the new MacBook and MacBook Pro. I'm not a power user the most I'll do is some small editing on some pictures in Photoshop and small amount of work on iMovie. I imagine for that kind of work the m processor would be enough.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Good to see your having a good experience so far. I have an older core 2 duo MacBook Pro that I want to replace. I've been debating between the new MacBook and MacBook Pro. I'm not a power user the most I'll do is some small editing on some pictures in Photoshop and small amount of work on iMovie. I imagine for that kind of work the m processor would be enough.

I have a late-2009 Macbook with 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD, running Yosemite. The overall impression is that I can only feel my rMBP working faster when running heavy algorithms of my research project. Even in this case, my retina Macbook Pro can't handle more data than the older Mac.

I'll see improvements when DDR4 allow future Macs to support something like 64GB of RAM. This would allow handling more data with less swap. The bad thing is that other students and researchers will have access to the same hardware, so their proof-of-concept experiments will be available sooner too. There's no gain in terms of academic competition :cool:

Someone will say "why don't you get a Mac Pro?". It's not the same thing. A Macbook allows me testing stuff even at bed before going to sleep. It supports the "eureka" factor. The conclusion is that in 90% of the situations, my old Macbook is just as capable as the newer one. In the other 10%, my Retina Macbook will handle the same amount of data, although in less time.

Sometimes I ask myself "why do I have a retina macbook just for that 10%?"...

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
Sounds like you a cloud compute service

I have a late-2009 Macbook with 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD, running Yosemite. The overall impression is that I can only feel my rMBP working faster when running heavy algorithms of my research project. Even in this case, my retina Macbook Pro can't handle more data than the older Mac.

I'll see improvements when DDR4 allow future Macs to support something like 64GB of RAM. This would allow handling more data with less swap. The bad thing is that other students and researchers will have access to the same hardware, so their proof-of-concept experiments will be available sooner too. There's no gain in terms of academic competition :cool:

Someone will say "why don't you get a Mac Pro?". It's not the same thing. A Macbook allows me testing stuff even at bed before going to sleep. It supports the "eureka" factor. The conclusion is that in 90% of the situations, my old Macbook is just as capable as the newer one. In the other 10%, my Retina Macbook will handle the same amount of data, although in less time.

Sometimes I ask myself "why do I have a retina macbook just for that 10%?"...

You may be a good candidate for running your simulations on a cloud computing service. It's pretty pricey to get a 32GB or 64GB workstation such as a Mac Pro, so you may find it more cost-effective to simply run these tasks remotely on Amazon EC2, Azure and the like.

I'd be interested to hear if many Mac users are doing this, and what their experience is.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan

I am right with you. I travel the country often for work. This thing is great but there are some things that I'm having issues with. The keyboard seems cramped together for some darn reason. I also have a brand new 13" rMBP maxed out. On the surface it does not seem that much zippier but I have not imported my VM or Photoshop (My PS is Windows only)

Back in 2005-2008 I rocked the little high end Sony Vaio 11.6" computers that really were the MB of there time. With the wispy light thin design of the rMB I am starting to feel like I have finally reach the too light / too small point in computers. My laptops are always in my lap and this thing is all over the place while typing. I want to love it. I am going to go the full two weeks before I decide if I want to keep it. Plus, it is useless for me right now because I need $160 in Dongles! Wow, that sounds sick. Where are all of the USB-C adaptors? I still encounter both VGA and HDMI when doing presentations in clients conference rooms.

tech324

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
I don't run Windows. Most of my apps are either exclusive to OS X or run better on a Mac, so no need. Haven't come across any lag yet. In the next few days or so I'm going to rip some MKVs and see how it goes.

Wait.... You are going to rip MKVs on a core m Macbook? That must take forever.

phill85

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
1.1/256gb sg mb here. I agree with Everything you've said, it's an absolutely fantastic computer. Will definitely be keeping this thing for quite awhile :cool:
Newsflash… it’s 2023 and I still have it :) Only use it occasionally though, my 12.9” iPad Pro 2TB gets most of my attention now

phill85

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
I use my 2017 Macbook everyday for sofa surfing or watching Netflix etc. Love the light weight and size. Perfect for at home.
I wish they made an updated version… but I’m so spoiled with cellular on my iPad that I think it’d need cellular for me to appreciate it as much, now

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I wish they made an updated version… but I’m so spoiled with cellular on my iPad that I think it’d need cellular for me to appreciate it as much, now

I am still hoping as well that they re-release this with the M1. I always say that I need to upgrade my rMB 2017 for a new notebook however always talk myself out of it when I see the size/weight of the Airs on display at the Apple Store.

My 2017 still does everything I need. In fact, even my 2015 can almost keep pace with my 2017. Granted, I only browse the net, organize my music on the music app, and do basic productivity on office apps. It is like an endless cycle of me saying I need to upgrade, then I use my MacBook and say to myself nah, I’m still good for another few years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.