Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hello,
Well as some of you all know, I have been looking to own my DSLR and today my parents finally decided to get one for my bday (although its a postponed present cause they hope can get more discount during the annual Malaysia Mega Sales but sadly the offer is not as big as we expected). Anyway, the DSLR that I got is is the 1000D w/ kit lens. The free gift is tripod, original Canon EOS DSLR bag, Kensington 2GB SD card (I should have asked him if I can get a 4GB card), a screen protector. Then the shop owner give us a 50% discount on a filter, its not Hoya though, its some brand but made from Japan and its made from crystal something like that (UV filter).

Anyway the shop owner was kind enough to show how to use the camera and give a lot of information in taking photographs, too much for me to absorb. Haha.

So here is some shots that I took with my first DSLR (soo excited) :rolleyes:

3067306337_ce605bd31e_b.jpg

3067306049_edfb3c6786_b.jpg

3067305767_b3d31f44a0_b.jpg

3067306941_4be4b70484.jpg

3068144294_b0a2222f87.jpg

Some CnC will be appreciated :D

Anyway there is somethings that I dont understand though, why is it sometime my camera wont snap the picture even that there is a lot of lighting? And since the default kit lens is something - 55mm, does that mean my dad 100mm macro lens would be able to take further pictures?

Sorry for the long post :eek:

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
So here is some shots that I took with my first DSLR (soo excited) :rolleyes:

3067306337_ce605bd31e_b.jpg

3067306049_edfb3c6786_b.jpg

3067305767_b3d31f44a0_b.jpg

3067306941_4be4b70484.jpg

3068144294_b0a2222f87.jpg

Some CnC will be appreciated :D

Anyway there is somethings that I dont understand though, why is it sometime my camera wont snap the picture even that there is a lot of lighting? And since the default kit lens is something - 55mm, does that mean my dad 100mm macro lens would be able to take further pictures?

Sorry for the long post :eek:
Congratulations on your new camera.

It's only natural that when you get a new camera, you just shoot anything you can see in the house. This is okay. But I'd recommend taking it outside once you're familiar with the controls, and taking some proper shots before asking for photo critiques!

When you are taking photos inside, and you think there is a lot of lighting, there actually isn't. The human eye adjusts for different lighting conditions without you realising it - it's just automatic. But for a camera, it can only see what it sees. And indoor lighting is generally too dark for a camera.

I'm not sure about the macro lens question, somebody else who uses macros could answer that one.

So your next mission should be to get outside with the camera, sit your dog/cat/parent down and take some photos of them. Think about composition and lighting - you want to make sure they are well lit, but not necessary directly in the face. Try not to centre your subject in the frame. Think of the rule of thirds - if you're not familiar with this, ask.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks, Im still getting use with the camera. So Im trying it out around my house both indoor and outdoor. I still dont know what is this AF : One Shot, AI - Servo or something like that and I never knew about the human eye part :rolleyes:

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Thanks, Im still getting use with the camera. So Im trying it out around my house both indoor and outdoor. I still dont know what is this AF : One Shot, AI - Servo or something like that and I never knew about the human eye part :rolleyes:

AF One shot is the normal focus mode. You hold the shutter release button halfway down, and it focuses, and locks that focus. You press it all the way and it takes the picture.

AI Servo is kind of the same, but it doesn't lock the focus. As long as you're holding the button halfway down, it will keep adjusting focus. It's designed for taking pictures of moving objects. Go outside and try it out on a bird that's flying around. Or a car. When you hold the button halfway, you'll hear the lenses' little motor working while it's trying to adjust focus constantly.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
AI Servo is kind of the same, but it doesn't lock the focus. As long as you're holding the button halfway down, it will keep adjusting focus. It's designed for taking pictures of moving objects. Go outside and try it out on a bird that's flying around. Or a car. When you hold the button halfway, you'll hear the lenses' little motor working while it's trying to adjust focus constantly.
aaah, so thats the reason why my camera was noisy when in AI Servo

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Congrats on the new camera, now get off the computer and get outta the house and do some shooting!

Unless you happen to have a full studio set up in your home I doubt you gonna find anything spectacular to capture in there ;)

Apr 10, 2007
First shot is awesome, the others not so much.

Congrats on the new camera, can't wait to see some more pictures once you get the hang of it! :D

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks guys. Yeah I like the first picture too, the second and third is okay also I like how the first water look like its smoking and the second one is freeze in time (now I know how some of you guys get the crystal like water, hah!). The 4th and 5th one is me knowing how did some photographers get the object fade effect.

So anyone care to comment? Is it a EF 100mm macro lens will be able to zoom further then an EF-S 50mm lens (came w/ kit)?

Congrats on the new camera, now get off the computer and get outta the house and do some shooting!
Ah yes, I'll be getting out from my house for more shots...and I'll be bringing my camera around with me from now on. Oh yeah, is it safe to leave your camera in the car boot? Providing the car wont be parked under direct sunlight or something (cause I heard at certain hotness and coldness it could damage the camera right?).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
..why is it sometime my camera wont snap the picture even that there is a lot of lighting?

When the camera is on "auto" it will not take the picture if it can't focus or if the amount of light present is outside of some limit. Put it on manual.

since the default kit lens is something - 55mm, does that mean my dad 100mm macro lens would be able to take further pictures?

You have a zoom lens. Set it to 25mm then to 50mm. Notice the feild of view at 50mm is about 1/2. Going to 100mm will cut it in half again.

Changing the focal lengt does NOT make the subject appear closer. Prespective is determined only by camera location. Focal length controls the angle of view

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Ah yes, I'll be getting out from my house for more shots...and I'll be bringing my camera around with me from now on. Oh yeah, is it safe to leave your camera in the car boot? Providing the car wont be parked under direct sunlight or something (cause I heard at certain hotness and coldness it could damage the camera right?).

It should be okay to leave it in the boot of the car. Unless there are thieves around.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
When the camera is on "auto" it will not take the picture if it can't focus or if the amount of light present is outside of some limit. Put it on manual.

You have a zoom lens. Set it to 25mm then to 50mm. Notice the feild of view at 50mm is about 1/2. Going to 100mm will cut it in half again.

Changing the focal lengt does NOT make the subject appear closer. Prespective is determined only by camera location. Focal length controls the angle of view

Nice technical response, seemingly straight from a textbook.

Yes, you halve the field of view by doubling the mm number. Photography is all about doubling and halving. But to answer the OP's question in a basic manner: if you want an object to fill your photo, then the longer the lens, the more the object will fill the frame. This makes it appear to be closer. In truth, it's not becoming closer but your lens seems to get closer to the subject without having to physically walk.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Well I didn shoot in auto, I did full manual. Is it has something to do that I set my aperture/exposure too high or too low or too imbalance?

It should be okay to leave it in the boot of the car. Unless there are thieves around.
Haha, I keep in mind to yell I have a "camera" in my car when I lock my car :D

Aah, confusing but after awhile its understood :D

Yes, you halve the field of view by doubling the mm number. Photography is all about doubling and halving. But to answer the OP's question in a basic manner: if you want an object to fill your photo, then the longer the lens, the more the object will fill the frame. This makes it appear to be closer. In truth, it's not becoming closer but your lens seems to get closer to the subject without having to physically walk.
Thanks

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Haha, I keep in mind to yell I have a "camera" in my car when I lock my car :D

It's not your camera they'd be after. It's anything. Car theft, and break-ins are extremely common in my country. I was just trying to help!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
It's not your camera they'd be after. It's anything. Car theft, and break-ins are extremely common in my country. I was just trying to help!
Aaah okay, you got a point. What country are you living in anyway? UK? US?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks, wow, I just fitted my dad 100mm f2.8 Macro USM lens and its amazing, too bad it doesn't have IS cause I must mount it on a tripod unless there is a lot of lighting. And why does the camera like move to a different range on its own in AF? This has a different feeling then the stock kit lens cause with the kit lens, I zoom towards the subject and the AF will move abit here and there to get the image focused but not with this lens, it will move the range all the way from far too very close and can sometime cause it to take what I dont want. So I end up shooting in MF.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks, wow, I just fitted my dad 100mm f2.8 Macro USM lens and its amazing, too bad it doesn't have IS cause I must mount it on a tripod unless there is a lot of lighting. And why does the camera like move to a different range on its own in AF? This has a different feeling then the stock kit lens cause with the kit lens, I zoom towards the subject and the AF will move abit here and there to get the image focused but not with this lens, it will move the range all the way from far too very close and can sometime cause it to take what I dont want. So I end up shooting in MF.

I only shoot in full manual. Shooting in full manual will allow you to increase the ISO, adjust shutter speed and open the aperture to 2.8 on your dad's 100mm, this will give you better shots is lower light.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
I only shoot in full manual. Shooting in full manual will allow you to increase the ISO, adjust shutter speed and open the aperture to 2.8 on your dad's 100mm, this will give you better shots is lower light.
Thanks but since I got my DSLR I never shoot in auto, in fact even in my PnS I run it in its own full manual mode (of course my PnS only allows to change ISO and EV Comp.) (in the post concerning my dad lens, I use Av, I just change the aperture and let the camera adjust its shutter speed - I guess there is not enough light for the shutter speed to be really fast to avoid blurness)

Anyway, the iris of the macro lens compared to the kit lens is huge! I wonder if its cause of the refraction or its really huge.

Anyway here are some shots with the macro lens. Love the background blur, a pity I must have a tripod to get this shots. And never knew how good do some subject look at night :D

Some of this shot is taken without flash, I first aim the subject with flash turned on and when the lens got the image in focus, I close the flash and switch the lens to manual focus and then walla!

Same subject...look at the insect
3073693889_7935625132_o.jpg

3074509726_0ee0fb78d1_o.jpg

Different subject
3074509480_56a210c5fa_o.jpg

3074509076_b78da14e26_o.jpg

Hmm, it seems the image doesnt look as clear as its original copy. Oh well, its posted for online viewing anyway. Sorry guys for the quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.