Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
I am not new to Android as I had the Note 2 but that was so long ago and then android was a lot LESS stable. I do love it so far even though all my friends and family and even coworkers all have iPhones. The 2 /3 biggest apps/feature that you will miss is without a doubt:
  1. iMessage (Replaced with Facebook Messenger)
  2. Find Friends (Replacing with Life360)
  3. Also possibly the Lockscreen... I don't think I like Android's version as much as Apples because the text is white and I have a light pink background. Also no raise to wake yet (unless someone have suggestion for this?)
I already used Messenger quite a lot and I used it before iMessage was the thing to use. Messenger had A LOT more feature that iMessage now have years before. So, I am happy with it and Messenger can integrate your phone number and do SMS which is awesome. For me it is the BEST iMessage replacement. Find Friends- I am trying out the Life360 with my Apple family.​

Another thing is that I think I might just get Chrome cast and perhaps a Google Home instead of the Apple TV which I am going to sell. Any tips / suggestions? I feel since I am going android I should stick with Google. I do welcome my new Google overlord hehheh.

For people who thinking of switching and do end up switching. You have to realize neither platform is perfect. Apple is reliable but limited (clean and simple), Android is complex but can be buggy (more options and feature rich). Over the years, both have been trying to bridge that gap which I feel they are successful. However, do not expect an iPhone like phone because especially the Note is not as smooth nor does it have to be in a sense... because it will keep on adding new features. More features means new bugs to be ironed out. Apple cannot be complex so it can feel limited.

I am using Dodol Launcher which I love a lot for its stickers feature and how it looks and the customizing options! <3 I love the S Pen so far. I used the Samsung pay at Walmart once successfully and it definitely took more than 1 try. Overall, really loving it but ALWAYS want to customizing it to be the ultimate smartphone. :p

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Thanks for sharing. I've been on my Note 8 for a while now and still loving it. I too am using Facebook Messenger and its working OK. We also use GroupMe in the family for family chats sometimes.

I'm not really using a lock screen, I go straight to home. I use Iris and FPS together; and also have the Smart Lock set for when I'm in certain situations.

For TV, I've moved away from Apple TV to Roku, but also have a Chromecast which I rarely use. The Note 8 is a little funky with this in that it auto connects to one of the Rokus sometimes which might not be the one I wanted to use.

Have been using Echos pretty well so far.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I am not new to Android as I had the Note 2 but that was so long ago and then android was a lot LESS stable. I do love it so far even though all my friends and family and even coworkers all have iPhones. The 2 /3 biggest apps/feature that you will miss is without a doubt:
  1. iMessage (Replaced with Facebook Messenger)
  2. Find Friends (Replacing with Life360)
  3. Also possibly the Lockscreen... I don't think I like Android's version as much as Apples because the text is white and I have a light pink background. Also no raise to wake yet (unless someone have suggestion for this?)
I already used Messenger quite a lot and I used it before iMessage was the thing to use. Messenger had A LOT more feature that iMessage now have years before. So, I am happy with it and Messenger can integrate your phone number and do SMS which is awesome. For me it is the BEST iMessage replacement. Find Friends- I am trying out the Life360 with my Apple family.​

Another thing is that I think I might just get Chrome cast and perhaps a Google Home instead of the Apple TV which I am going to sell. Any tips / suggestions? I feel since I am going android I should stick with Google. I do welcome my new Google overlord hehheh.

For people who thinking of switching and do end up switching. You have to realize neither platform is perfect. Apple is reliable but limited (clean and simple), Android is complex but can be buggy (more options and feature rich). Over the years, both have been trying to bridge that gap which I feel they are successful. However, do not expect an iPhone like phone because especially the Note is not as smooth nor does it have to be in a sense... because it will keep on adding new features. More features means new bugs to be ironed out. Apple cannot be complex so it can feel limited.

I am using Dodol Launcher which I love a lot for its stickers feature and how it looks and the customizing options! <3 I love the S Pen so far. I used the Samsung pay at Walmart once successfully and it definitely took more than 1 try. Overall, really loving it but ALWAYS want to customizing it to be the ultimate smartphone. :p
Get an Invidia shield tv instead of a Chromecast. It's a true replacement to the ATV.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Interesting the contrast globally. Here in South Africa, WhatsApp is huge, so no matter phone you own you just imetallic that, evenout iPhone users mainly use WhatsApp here along with iMessage where they can.

Glad you are enjoying your Note8. I have had mine since launch and absolutely loving it still, it's a true power house. I use it alongside my iPad which is mainly used as a hot spot and when I really need a larger screen to do something.

Reactions: DiamonDecoden

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
OP, what have you done as a replacement for continuity? I love answering the phone on my laptop and tablet. I love having all my files saved instantly to all my devices and the pictures on all my devices. What replacement are you using for FaceTime that works on all devices? Thanks.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
Thanks for sharing. I've been on my Note 8 for a while now and still loving it. I too am using Facebook Messenger and its working OK. We also use GroupMe in the family for family chats sometimes. I'm not really using a lock screen, I go straight to home. I use Iris and FPS together; and also have the Smart Lock set for when I'm in certain situations. For TV, I've moved away from Apple TV to Roku, but also have a Chromecast which I rarely use. The Note 8 is a little funky with this in that it auto connects to one of the Rokus sometimes which might not be the one I wanted to use.Have been using Echos pretty well so far.

Is there a raise to wake / open option? I have smart lock set based on location.

Interesting the contrast globally. Here in South Africa, WhatsApp is huge, so no matter phone you own you just imetallic that, evenout iPhone users mainly use WhatsApp here along with iMessage where they can. Glad you are enjoying your Note8. I have had mine since launch and absolutely loving it still, it's a true power house. I use it alongside my iPad which is mainly used as a hot spot and when I really need a larger screen to do something.
Hmm what I like about Messenger is that you can access via desktop. Can WhatsApp do that? Is there a desktop version? I like to access it at work which I work on a PC.

OP, what have you done as a replacement for continuity? I love answering the phone on my laptop and tablet. I love having all my files saved instantly to all my devices and the pictures on all my devices. What replacement are you using for FaceTime that works on all devices? Thanks.

It would not work like Apple at all for continuity because the logic behind the Android Note 8 is entirely different from the iPhone. Note 8 is trying to be the best ALL IN ONE device. So, you do not need a tablet and a laptop. Honestly, I dont think I will get an iPad because the note 8 is like a phone and tab all in one. I wish they make it a bit larger to be honest. They developed the dex to make your phone into a computer. I like that better to be honest. I want they make a ipad mini sized note 8 which I can cut my devices and have 1 main device. This makes travel really awesome as you dont need to bring so much stuff. I had the LARGE ipad pro and it was so much pain hauling that thing around (so heavy!) . so it was my laptop.

You can say that the continuity is a workaround / solution to having multiple devices. Again, it takes a different mindset. I do know what you talk about I did enjoy the continuity for a little while but it was annoying sometimes as I dont want to answer my phone on my macbook.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Is there a raise to wake / open option? I have smart lock set based on location.

Hmm what I like about Messenger is that you can access via desktop. Can WhatsApp do that? Is there a desktop version? I like to access it at work which I work on a PC.

It would not work like Apple at all for continuity because the logic behind the Android Note 8 is entirely different from the iPhone. Note 8 is trying to be the best ALL IN ONE device. So, you do not need a tablet and a laptop. Honestly, I dont think I will get an iPad because the note 8 is like a phone and tab all in one. I wish they make it a bit larger to be honest. They developed the dex to make your phone into a computer. I like that better to be honest. I want they make a ipad mini sized note 8 which I can cut my devices and have 1 main device. This makes travel really awesome as you dont need to bring so much stuff. I had the LARGE ipad pro and it was so much pain hauling that thing around (so heavy!) . so it was my laptop.

You can say that the continuity is a workaround / solution to having multiple devices. Again, it takes a different mindset. I do know what you talk about I did enjoy the continuity for a little while but it was annoying sometimes as I dont want to answer my phone on my macbook.
Yes, there is a Desktop WhatsApp, and it deletes it's history each time you logoff if I am not mistaken.

It's called WhatsApp Web

Reactions: DiamonDecoden

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Texas
Yes, there is a Desktop WhatsApp, and it deletes it's history each time you logoff if I am not mistaken. It's called WhatsApp Web

I see! It does not do SMS though. I can do without SMS actually but I do have a few Apple friends who cannot. Facebook Messenger can do SMS as well so it is truly the best iMessage replacement. Actually if everyone would agree on a message platform, then we do not ever need SMS. Messenger is very capable and had all the money transfer, games feature long before iMessage but not many people know this. I think they should get rid of SMS and keep Messenger as a default. Hopefully in the future!

Reactions: Tsepz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.