Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
On the iPhone6S, do GPS apps work without internet support? Any recommendations for such apps?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I think the actual GPS works but you need internet for the maps. Map data is too large to store many miles of it on a device. I think you can do maps in your area and it will still work for that limited area without internet but I haven't tried it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Navigon doesn't need any data since it stores the maps locally on your phone.
You can download just the maps of the states that you will need or frequent mostly.And you can delete and download certain maps of states that you will need at any time.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What other gps apps are out there that will not need data? Im planning to use gps but without any internet need!

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Get the app maps.me

I have entire US and Canada on my iPhone 6s Plus 128GB.

Doesn't take that much room, 7.6GB, and I have GPS with maps my location and routing all without Internet.

Because the maps are right in the phone it is super fast. I use it even when I have Internet access. Cuts down on data usage. I downloaded all the maps using wifi. They do multiple updates each year so up to date as any other maps.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Free? So what is the catch? For what does one have to pay? :)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Just have a phone with capacity. Something other than 16GB. That's it. No catch, be a fool not to have it.
Is it totally free? What about HERE WeGo app you know this?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Because the maps are right in the phone it is super fast. I use it even when I have Internet access. Cuts down on data usage. I downloaded all the maps using wifi. They do multiple updates each year so up to date as any other maps.
What will happen if i do not allow maps.me to access my location even when im not using the app?
Supposedly i dont allow at first, can i change this later on?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What will happen if i do not allow maps.me to access my location even when im not using the app?
Supposedly i dont allow at first, can i change this later on?
Right, you can always change that.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What will happen though, what will i actually see if theres no access?

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
What will happen though, what will i actually see if theres no access?
Why don't you download one of the apps. You have been provided several choices. Download one map and experiment with all the various questions you seem to have. Quite frankly instead of continuing to press us for more details each time we provide solutions. Just try it , either you will like it and be satisfied or you won't. We are not here as your testers and to continue to pursuade you one way or the other. We are not selling anything and beyond offering solutions to your original question, raising one objection after another, at least to me, raises doubts as to your motivations.

It's time you stepped up and did some trials and tests of your own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.