Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Then buy an app that doesn't delete them.
Or use google maps for FREE and download them again after 29 days.
Yeah I guess that's the only way to do it. I thought that there was some way to keep the maps permanently on the phone,that's the reason I'm researching

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah I guess that's the only way to do it. I thought that there was some way to keep the maps permanently on the phone,that's the reason I'm researching

You know that you can just go into Google Maps menu and update expired maps? Per Google:

Offline areas that you downloaded on your phone or tablet need to be updated at least every 30 days. When your offline areas expire in 15 days or less, Google Maps will try to update the area automatically when you're connected to Wi-Fi.

If your offline areas aren’t automatically updated, you can update them by following the steps below.

From the notification
  1. In the "Update offline areas" notification, tap Update Now.
  2. Tap the expired or expiring area on the list.
  3. Tap Update.
  4. The offline area will update.
From anywhere else
  1. On your phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app
    mn_G_BMRsi6PNCPDDTKECrnRFlKCnBAvEZwqn92zlaQriTCyZrKDnHgxUqlUVUI=w18-h18
  2. In the top left, tap the Menu
    gnm-ty6mnE6vkedDflD8UzuuSYpoeaGMx1Am3m0zH0OkEAkqv3jGJV3cnjkqH75mrrqn=w18-h18
    nHFGZ_9xjCh-mP83zMzXQVJF5VYf2n6kwoBIxB2zv3V4VPT4gNTtBye8lYznogLqLPY=w13
    Offline areas.
  3. Tap the expired or expiring area on the list.
  4. Tap Update.
  5. The offline area will update.

Reactions: Applejuiced

thwarte

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2016
"Galileo" is an iOS app which includes access to a compressed form of OSM maps (Open Street Maps in vector format rather than bitmap). So one can download the whole state of California in only 250 MB and store this on even a 16 GB phone. No need to update the map after that until you feel it's outdated. The OSM maps are detailed, with urban streets, large buildings and even trails. Galileo also allows ordinary bit-mapped maps from other common sources, if you've a data connection or room to cache the area of interest. And it allows recording your own tracks as GPX files, and importing others.
I'm not affiliated with Galileo, just a satisfied user with some experience in GPS and cartography. Its pricing model is currently in flux, but remains affordable.
https://galileo-app.com/
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Galileo_Offline_Maps

Last edited:

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
GPS will continue to track your location, on a map on your signal-less phone you won't get a map though. GPS Kit Pro is the best app I've found for GPS tracking (does speed and elevation too), if your export the .gpx file, Google Earth will overlay the GPS tracks on an actual map :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.