Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Hi, just got my rx 560 running yesterday and I was enjoying the performance it was giving me. I wanted to test some games to see what it’s limits are. I tried games like csgo, Kerbal space program and others like minecraft. Minecraft gave me no issues whatsoever but in full screen steam games, either the whole screen would have red blocks and everything would be scrambled, or like in csgo, their would be random artifacting flashing on screen every few second. If I pooped up the window at the top of the screen, these bugs go away, but I can’t run games in full windowed mode with these graphical errors and artifacts. I’m running the GPU through DVI on native 1080p my suspicion is the fact I’m using dvi, but at this point I’m lost. Anyone else with similar experiences with this gpu, please give feedback. I can get screenshots of it upon request.

Update: I could also test a flashed gpu with it both inside at the same time but really I’m just troubleshooting

Update: another suspect is steam overlay. I’ll try disabling it later.
My Mac Pro
Genuine 5,1 Nehalem Mac Pro
4 core 2.8 ghz W chip (original)
250 GB Kingston SSD
Sapphire pulse RX 560 4gb

Thanks as always.

Last edited:

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Hi, just got my rx 560 running yesterday and I was enjoying the performance it was giving me. I wanted to test some games to see what it’s limits are. I tried games like csgo, Kerbal space program and others like minecraft. Minecraft gave me no issues whatsoever but in full screen steam games, either the whole screen would have red blocks and everything would be scrambled, or like in csgo, their would be random artifacting flashing on screen every few second. If I pooped up the window at the top of the screen, these bugs go away, but I can’t run games in full windowed mode with these graphical errors and artifacts. I’m running the GPU through DVI on native 1080p my suspicion is the fact I’m using dvi, but at this point I’m lost. Anyone else with similar experiences with this gpu, please give feedback. I can get screenshots of it upon request.

Update: I could also test a flashed gpu with it both inside at the same time but really I’m just troubleshooting

My Mac Pro
250 GB Kingston SSD

Thanks as always.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada

Update: another suspect is steam overlay. I’ll try disabling it later.

Another update: I’ll also try resetting nvram and smc. I’ll update when I get this checklist of things done

My Mac Pro
250 GB Kingston SSD

Thanks as always.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi t8er8

Sorry unable to provide any help on your issue, but I agree that try disable Steam overlay is the good start.

Anyway, I would like to ask for some help as well. I bet your GPU is now installed in slot 1. And in the system info, you should able to see something like this.
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 23.33.14.png

Do you mind to upload the screenshot of this page. And then install the card into slot 3, then upload another screen capture?

I recently discover that some PCIe 3.0 device can correctly negotiate in slot 3 at PCIe 2.0. I wonder if GPU can do the same thing.

If possible run CL!ng to record the data (for each slot) will be even better.
CL!ng standard.png

https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/cl-ing/id1244392031?l=en&mt=12

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Hi t8er8

Sorry unable to provide any help on your issue, but I agree that try disable Steam overlay is the good start.

Anyway, I would like to ask for some help as well. I bet your GPU is now installed in slot 1. And in the system info, you should able to see something like this.
View attachment 760987

Do you mind to upload the screenshot of this page. And then install the card into slot 3, then upload another screen capture?

I recently discover that some PCIe 3.0 device can correctly negotiate in slot 3 at PCIe 2.0. I wonder if GPU can do the same thing.

View attachment 760989

Sure no problem, by pci 3.0 devices im guessing you mean the gpu itself? And whether or not they can recognize which slot they’re in in pci 2.0?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Sure no problem, by pci 3.0 devices im guessing you mean the gpu itself? And whether or not they can recognize which slot they’re in in pci 2.0?

Yes, the RX560 is a PCIe 3.0 device.

It should be PCIe 3.0 x8.

So, if you install that into slot 1 or slot 2. Since the cMP do not support PCIe 3.0, the speed will fallback to PCIe 1.1 for unknown reason. Therefore, you may see x8 2.5GT/s or 8GT/s on the PCI info. And CL!ng will shows you ~2500MiB/s.

What I want to know is if the card can automatically negotiate at PCIe 2.0 in slot 3. If yes, then it will show x4 5GT/s. And CL!ng should show ~5000MiB/s.

Since the bandwidth of PCIe 1,1 x8 = PCIe 2.0 x4. Therefore, if the card can negotiate at PCI 2.0 in slot 3, that means if you install a 2nd card into that slot. There will be no extra performance penalty for RX560.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada

So, if you install that into slot 1 or slot 2. Since the cMP do not support PCIe 3.0, the speed will fallback to PCIe 1.1 for unknown reason. Therefore, you may see x8 2.5GT/s or 8GT/s on the PCI info. And CL!ng will shows you ~2500MiB/s.

What I want to know is if the card can automatically negotiate at PCIe 2.0 in slot 3. If yes, then it will show x4 5GT/s. And CL!ng should show ~5000MiB/s.

Since the bandwidth of PCIe 1,1 x8 = PCIe 2.0 x4. Therefore, if the card can negotiate at PCI 2.0 in slot 3, that means if you install a 2nd card into that slot. There will be no extra performance penalty for RX560.
Cool I’ll get to it when I’m home, also if this is true, does that mean I should leave it in slot 3 for better performance
[doublepost=1525711565][/doublepost]

Also if what you say is true and I can get 5gt/s wouldn’t that overload the system bus that’s only 4.3gt/s on 4 cores like what I have?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Cool I’ll get to it when I’m home, also if this is true, does that mean I should leave it in slot 3 for better performance

No, it won't perform better, because slot 3 is a x4 slot. Just coincidentally, you card is a x8 card. Therefore, run at PCIe 1,1 x8 will be identical to PCIe 2.0 x4.

For most GPU, should be a x16 device. Install at slot 1 or 2 is better.

Reactions: t8er8

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
No, it won't perform better, because slot 3 is a x4 slot. Just coincidentally, you card is a x8 card. Therefore, run at PCIe 1,1 x8 will be identical to PCIe 2.0 x4.

For most GPU, should be a x16 device. Install at slot 1 or 2 is better.
Alright I’ll get back to you soon.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Also if what you say is true and I can get 5gt/s wouldn’t that overload the system bus that’s only 4.3gt/s on 4 cores like what I have?

I think you mean the W3530. And thats 4.8GT/s QPI, not 4.3.

Also, that 20 lane 4.8GT/s connection is to connect the CPU and Northbridge. Then the Northbridge further handle the PCIe lanes. There is no direct connection between these 2 speed.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Hi t8er8

View attachment 760987

View attachment 760989

Here you are!
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 6.50.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 7.03.10 PM.png

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
THANKS!!!!

Almost fit my guess. The graphic card CAN negotiate at PCIe 2.0 speed automatically in slot 3. However, I didn't expect it will further limit the link width to x2.

Anyway, million thanks for your help.

Now we know the PCIe 1.1 limitation is NOT the graphic card's hardware limitation.
Good to know, if you don’t mind me asking, does your inateck kt4004 USB 3.0 card work OOB. or was their a lot of troubleshooting with it, and how well does it work?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Good to know, if you don’t mind me asking, does your inateck kt4004 USB 3.0 card work OOB. or was their a lot of troubleshooting with it, and how well does it work?

It's 100% OOTB and work flawless. 100% PCIe slot power, super simple installation.
[doublepost=1525737379][/doublepost]May I know if you already install the card back to slot 1? Because if possible, I really want to see the CL!ng reading when the card installed in slot 3.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
It's 100% OOTB and work flawless. 100% PCIe slot power, super simple installation.
[doublepost=1525737379][/doublepost]May I know if you already install the card back to slot 1? Because if possible, I really want to see the CL!ng reading when the card installed in slot 3.
Yeah, I already put it back in slot 1, I could get you those CL!ing readings sometime but it would have to be in a few days.

Thanks for the confirmation of the USB card working.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yeah, I already put it back in slot 1, I could get you those CL!ing readings sometime but it would have to be in a few days.

Thanks for the confirmation of the USB card working.

No worries. You already helped me a lot. I will make another post, and hopefully someone interested in this finding and help to run some tests.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
No worries. You already helped me a lot. I will make another post, and hopefully someone interested in this finding and help to run some tests.

Hey. Unrelated... I just got a dual 6 pin to 8 pin cable for my 580, but one of the female 6 pin plugs is missing a wire. Is this normal?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hey. Unrelated... I just got a dual 6 pin to 8 pin cable for my 580, but one of the female 6 pin plugs is missing a wire. Is this normal?

Normally NO, especially only one side is missing (but the other 6pin female has all 6pin connected)

However, not all pins are important, any photo?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Pin 5 is the sense pin, as long as it's connected to one of the ground pin (it does, on the other 6pin female connector), the cable will work as expected.

It's an official EVGA cable so I'd hope they'd know what they're doing. I'm just new to this and most pictures I've seen don't show the pins.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It's an official EVGA cable so I'd hope they'd know what they're doing. I'm just new to this and most pictures I've seen don't show the pins.
Pin 5 is the sense pin, as long as it's connected to one of the ground pin (it does, on the other 6pin female connector), the cable will work as expected.

Okay, my card came in, I hooked up the EVGA 6 pin to 8 pin and the card seems to be working perfectly. Same as all the reports here said.

I haven't done any benchmarks yet because I installed it durning my lunch break. The only complaint I have is my DVI cable refuses to screw into the holes on the sides of the DVI ports. No idea why, they just get stuck as soon as I start to screw it in, so the DVI connection isn't as good as I want it to be. However, I do have a display port cable I can try... if the display ports on the card work (probably do). We'll see.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Okay, my card came in, I hooked up the EVGA 6 pin to 8 pin and the card seems to be working perfectly. Same as all the reports here said.

I haven't done any benchmarks yet because I installed it durning my lunch break. The only complaint I have is my DVI cable refuses to screw into the holes on the sides of the DVI ports. No idea why, they just get stuck as soon as I start to screw it in, so the DVI connection isn't as good as I want it to be. However, I do have a display port cable I can try... if the display ports on the card work (probably do). We'll see.

Yeah, go Display port if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.