Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xeno74

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
Apologies for late reply. But the fix should be simple. Loading resources requires the endianess to be converted for correct data. Please look carefully through my PPC branch commits to see the usage of those functions: memLittle, BSWAP, floatswap and apply them to the latest commit. As someone already said, the code isn't pretty, so I struggled making mine pretty as well.

I can't reach your git anymore. Could you please post a patch for txd handling?

Mercedes33

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2021
Germany
when will it updated? I have problems with audio and playing the game on my powermac g5 quad. its crashing when im playing like 10 minutes

pakra

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
Hi all, it's been a while. Well, as it turned out, T2 got mad and sued the creators. So everyone ran away, including me. Repo and discord shut down and all. I also took a break from porting because it was a miserable experience to work on with 400mhz. However, a week ago I managed to find a 1.8ghz cpu upgrade. I was so relieved to work effectively on this again. However, I will not upload anything as long as the lawsuit is in process. I hope you understand. Though, I still want to show you some progress I made.

First of all, I managed to speed up the game enough and resolved some graphical issues. There were many issues with culling and alpha, which is why the doors disappeared. The heavy graphical glitches on Tiger was also caused by loading streams of audio (radio and such). Disabling that makes the game fairly playable, which is to say, 10-20 fps. Not amazing, but just enough to drive around and have fun.

Picture 11.png

But here's another surprise. I also got Vice City to run. It needed some work for III's patches, but the end result is also a fairly playable build. Not that in these two games, you still cannot save. It's pretty tricky.

Picture 10.png

Anyways, hope you enjoy this update. But I'll mention again, I won't upload or distribute this in any way while the lawsuit is in progress. Sorry, I hope you all understand.

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
I will write and improve the code when I have time and upload it. I want T2 to **** off. My country is corrupt, no law works, here we can download torrents freely, I think it's one of the few benefits of living in a third world country. And if some naughty lawyer threatens me, I ain't got **** that can take me 'cause I'm a poor guy who's in the **** lol

Mercedes33

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2021
Germany
I will write and improve the code when I have time and upload it. I want T2 to **** off. My country is corrupt, no law works, here we can download torrents freely, I think it's one of the few benefits of living in a third world country. And if some naughty lawyer threatens me, I ain't got **** that can take me 'cause I'm a poor guy who's in the **** lol
I totally agree with you

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
Try uploading it through the dark web.. You will need TOR browser to do it. I think TOR has a version for PowerPC somewhere.
I don't think darkweb is necessary. I just load it into mega, 4shared, or something like that, a rar with a random name, and a big password, which I'll give you through PM.

I'm under pressure at the moment, but in the next few months I plan on getting a powermac g4 2.7 or quad to start working on the project

Wizzlemane96

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Minnesota, USA
The steam seems to have settled quite a bit with the "Defective edition" stuff. has there been any updates on this project? I have been playing the GTA 3 and Vice City ports on my G5 quad with a FX4500. the gameplay is very smooth. gta vice city seems to be more stable than gta 3. Also for anyone that is working on the project in the states i have a 2.3ghz DC machine with a 7800GT i would be willing to donate for the cost of shipping to aid in development.

EDIT: Here is some Gameplay of vice city.

Last edited:

Manawyrm

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2024
I'm incredibly sorry for gravedigging this old thread, but I'd really hope someone here, maybe @pakra themselves might still be reading here.

We've made great progress porting reVC to a super exotic and fun PowerPC platform, but I seem to have made some mistake in the big-endian patching somewhere. The whole game works well, except for the pedestrians/player models (which glitch out horribly). I've been staring at the code for days and can't figure out what we've missed.

@pakra or anyone else that still happens to have the source for a big-endian compatible version of reVC or re3: Would you be able to share the source tree with me?

My email address is revc@tbspace.de (as I don't seem to be allowed to write DMs just yet)

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I optimized the game a lot in order to be able to see it running with 8MB vram, I think it's very useful for powerPC, it's still WIP, but if anyone wants to test it, you can download it here
Thanks! I'm only seeing an EXE at the GitHub, did you ever do a Mac build?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.