Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meanideal

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2018
Hi,

Are there any updates on this issue because I'm experiencing the same since upgrading to High sierra.

I'm running a Mac Pro 3.1 with a GTX 750 ti video card and have successfully installed High Sierra using Dosdudes patch tool - however I'm experiencing these issues with the GTX 750 ti. I used a Mac Radeon HD 5770 to install with the bootscreen and everything works fine with that video card, but the GTX 750 ti is incredibly glitchy and most games won't run with it.

I'm fearing that the 750 ti is just not compatible with High Sierra anymore. If thats the case I'd need to buy a new video card. I've been searching for ages and I can't find much information at all. Any advise, links or help would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I'm fearing that the 750 ti is just not compatible with High Sierra anymore.

On my 4,1 connected to a 4K display, my GTX 750 Ti (EVGA flashed by MacVidCards) works perfectly with High Sierra (10.13.4). It's been great for casually playing the mac version of "Rise of the Tomb Raider."

meanideal

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2018
Still no luck for me :(

I've just tried updating OS to the most up to date, and installed the most recent nvidia web drivers (was 106, now 107) and the problem still persists.

Everything runs fine on an old HD 5770, but when I plug the 750 ti there is no transparency on the top bar or dock, there are lots of glitch artefacts (white boxes appearing, whole elements of windows flickering on and off), Warcraft will not run (it just crashes on startup with an error message), Logic Audio experiences massive flickering that fills up a large portion of the screen and iTunes flickers constantly in the track display at the top middle of the screen. I also get weird artefacts in windows (darker grey blobs mainly) and lots of white flickering boxes.

Yet all works fine and smooth on the HD 5770, although there is no metal support so there are lots of bugs in Warcraft (mainly full bright models all over the place). This is nothing new, it's the whole reason I wanted to update to Sierra in the first place.

I can only conclude that the 750 ti needs replacing, or it might get fixed in a later up date, but I'm personally doubting that.

So, what PC video cards work in a Mac Pro 3.1 running High Sierra?

I'm not even using a 4k display... just ye olde 1080 for me...

For the record the 750 ti works flawlessly in Windows 10 via bootcamp. Problem is I hate Windows and would rather stay in OS X - plus that's where all my creativity happens.

meanideal

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2018
This issue is unfixable. If you experience this issue then your perfectly fine video card has just been made obsolete by a mere choice in the software programming.

According to the OP everything worked before the latest High Sierra patch (10.13.4) and I can confirm that the GTX 750 ti works perfectly fine in a Mac Pro 3.1 running Sierra 10.12.6 and the relevant Nvidia web drivers (Sierra installed via dosdudes patch tool - which works pretty easily and is simple to understand).

Message to Apple: I originally invested in a Mac Pro 10 years ago because I'm old fashioned and truly believe that everything should be built to a high quality - built to last. This has been the case right up until Apple released Sierra; restricting older hardware for seemingly no apparent reason. I can still upgrade the memory, the hard drive space, and now the video card. This computer should still have years of use left in it, and so far it does. I can't afford to replace it, and there are many people out there that could be forced to use Windows and cheap PC hardware if their Mac's are made obsolete. So my important message to Apple is this: Stop making hardware obsolete due to software CHOICES! I can understand making IBM's obsolete due to upgrading to the Intel architecture, but the decision to exclude Mac Pro 3.1's has no hardware limitations, so why do it (the only hardware affected is the wifi and stock video cards, but you can buy and fit wifi cards that do work in Sierra and support for the latest Nvidia cards is pretty good).

I fear that Steve Jobs wouldn't have made this decision...

Sincerely, a concerned Apple customer.

Reactions: Synchro3

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Message to Apple: I originally invested in a Mac Pro 10 years ago because I'm old fashioned and truly believe that everything should be built to a high quality - built to last. This has been the case right up until Apple released Sierra; restricting older hardware for seemingly no apparent reason. I can still upgrade the memory, the hard drive space, and now the video card. This computer should still have years of use left in it, and so far it does. I can't afford to replace it, and there are many people out there that could be forced to use Windows and cheap PC hardware if their Mac's are made obsolete. So my important message to Apple is this: Stop making hardware obsolete due to software CHOICES! I can understand making IBM's obsolete due to upgrading to the Intel architecture, but the decision to exclude Mac Pro 3.1's has no hardware limitations, so why do it (the only hardware affected is the wifi and stock video cards, but you can buy and fit wifi cards that do work in Sierra and support for the latest Nvidia cards is pretty good).

That's good and all, but did you send this to Tim's email, or send it to someone important at Apple?

Posting it here does nothing.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
This issue is unfixable. If you experience this issue then your perfectly fine video card has just been made obsolete by a mere choice in the software programming.

According to the OP everything worked before the latest High Sierra patch (10.13.4) and I can confirm that the GTX 750 ti works perfectly fine in a Mac Pro 3.1 running Sierra 10.12.6 and the relevant Nvidia web drivers (Sierra installed via dosdudes patch tool - which works pretty easily and is simple to understand).

Not sure why you're automatically blaming Apple/High Sierra. Isn't the most likely culprit NVIDIA and their web driver?

My 750ti (flashed by MVC) works fine in my 4,1->5,1. So whatever this issue is seems to be related specifically to the 3,1.

skamerica

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2018
I am sure you already know this but just in case the latest driver for NVIDIA GPU's is 387.10.10.10.30.107 for OS X 10.13.4 which you can get from macvidcards on the drivers page. There is also a CUDA driver update that was released on May 17, 2018, CUDA 396.64. The CUDA driver is on the mac driver archive page. I am very interested in how this worked out for you.

2008earlymacpro

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2018
I am sure you already know this but just in case the latest driver for NVIDIA GPU's is 387.10.10.10.30.107 for OS X 10.13.4 which you can get from macvidcards on the drivers page. There is also a CUDA driver update that was released on May 17, 2018, CUDA 396.64. The CUDA driver is on the mac driver archive page. I am very interested in how this worked out for you.

@skamerica i'm wondering if you can give me advice on the video card issue i have a mac pro 3,1 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB card powering one monitor (would like to do 2 but seemed to make matters worse) and i'm getting cpu errors running pro tools which i believe are related to the video card (cpu usage is totally fine and tons of memory) .....my question is i originally asked @dosdude1 if i should install drivers for the video card from the nvidia web site and he said it wouldn't be any better than the os x ones so skip it

before i try to fix my pro tools situation with buying a new video card should i try to install different drivers than the os x ones ? i'm running latest version now 10.13.5

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
@skamerica i'm wondering if you can give me advice on the video card issue i have a mac pro 3,1 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB card powering one monitor (would like to do 2 but seemed to make matters worse) and i'm getting cpu errors running pro tools which i believe are related to the video card (cpu usage is totally fine and tons of memory) .....my question is i originally asked @dosdude1 if i should install drivers for the video card from the nvidia web site and he said it wouldn't be any better than the os x ones so skip it

before i try to fix my pro tools situation with buying a new video card should i try to install different drivers than the os x ones ? i'm running latest version now 10.13.5

Just try it, won’t cost you anything, and you can remove the driver if that doesn’t help.

Reactions: TheStork

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For info, MVC actually replied to this post on Netkas forum.

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 04.27.11.png

Reactions: Synchro3

aaronlroberts

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Cluj-Napoca, Romania

Sadly, it seems that this is the case. I've been sitting on Sierra since I encountered this issue, with a copy of High Sierra on another drive, to test periodically just in case they finally find a way around this.

Does anyone know if this is an Apple issue or a NVidia issue? I mean, it all points to Apple... being that it was their SW update which killed it, however, maybe someone can reverse engineer the update to find out what exactly is breaking the driver?

Maybe tweaks to the driver / OS will be able to sort this?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Sadly, it seems that this is the case. I've been sitting on Sierra since I encountered this issue, with a copy of High Sierra on another drive, to test periodically just in case they finally find a way around this.

Does anyone know if this is an Apple issue or a NVidia issue? I mean, it all points to Apple... being that it was their SW update which killed it, however, maybe someone can reverse engineer the update to find out what exactly is breaking the driver?

Maybe tweaks to the driver / OS will be able to sort this?
These issues are actually due to the fact that you had been using an AMD video card initially. On Mac Pro 3,1 systems running my patcher, it is necessary to patch some of the AMD video drivers to work on that machine, as the native High Sierra drivers require SSE4.2 instructions, which the CPUs used in the Mac Pro 3,1 do not support. This patch causes issues when using other kinds of video cards. In order to fix your issue, you'll need to download and run the script found here to remove the AMD video card patches, which will in turn get full acceleration working on your machine with the nVidia GPU.

aaronlroberts

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
These issues are actually due to the fact that you had been using an AMD video card initially. On Mac Pro 3,1 systems running my patcher, it is necessary to patch some of the AMD video drivers to work on that machine, as the native High Sierra drivers require SSE4.2 instructions, which the CPUs used in the Mac Pro 3,1 do not support. This patch causes issues when using other kinds of video cards. In order to fix your issue, you'll need to download and run the script found here to remove the AMD video card patches, which will in turn get full acceleration working on your machine with the nVidia GPU.

Definitely going to try this RIGHT now. I'll fresh install onto another HDD with the AMD card and then try with this script. I guess you just open the script in Terminal?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Definitely going to try this RIGHT now. I'll fresh install onto another HDD with the AMD card and then try with this script. I guess you just open the script in Terminal?
Yeah, you just run it using Terminal. If you do a clean install with the AMD card installed, make sure you DESELECT the AMD video card patch when running the post-install tool (as it will automatically be selected if your machine is a Mac Pro 3,1 AND has an AMD card installed that needs the patch), then you won't have to run the script at all.

aaronlroberts

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Yeah, you just run it using Terminal. If you do a clean install with the AMD card installed, make sure you DESELECT the AMD video card patch when running the post-install tool (as it will automatically be selected if your machine is a Mac Pro 3,1 AND has an AMD card installed that needs the patch), then you won't have to run the script at all.

Oh really? Neat. Maybe you can look at finding a way to integrate such a feature for people who have non-Apple Nvidia cards? It'd be the best thing ever. Simple script to download and install the latest web driver and have it work right out of the box? :p
[doublepost=1530748038][/doublepost]HOOORAAYY! @dosdude1 ! Your work is incredible! Confirmed that all is working perfectly. However, I guess it makes sense to install the OS with the AMD drivers, giving you time to download and install the nVidia web driver, as there won't be any output until that driver has been installed. - Then run the script? Unless you can think of a better way?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 16.45.10.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 16.45.10.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 335

mac79

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2018
Oh really? Neat. Maybe you can look at finding a way to integrate such a feature for people who have non-Apple Nvidia cards? It'd be the best thing ever. Simple script to download and install the latest web driver and have it work right out of the box? :p
[doublepost=1530748038][/doublepost]HOOORAAYY! @dosdude1 ! Your work is incredible! Confirmed that all is working perfectly. However, I guess it makes sense to install the OS with the AMD drivers, giving you time to download and install the nVidia web driver, as there won't be any output until that driver has been installed. - Then run the script? Unless you can think of a better way?

Just to confirm, I've been able to run the script just now on my Mac Pro 3,1 with GTX960 installed. I had the red login screen background, issues with wake from sleep and, since installing the GTX, flickering, blocky unaccelerated graphics. Now I've run the script my graphics are accelerated again, which is great. Still have red login background... I'll have to wait and see about waking from sleep after a few hours. Thanks for raising this thread to help check the issue, and thanks to @dosdude1 for sharing the script to help resolve at least one of the issues! In case I missed it in other threads, is there a way to resolve the red login background?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Just to confirm, I've been able to run the script just now on my Mac Pro 3,1 with GTX960 installed. I had the red login screen background, issues with wake from sleep and, since installing the GTX, flickering, blocky unaccelerated graphics. Now I've run the script my graphics are accelerated again, which is great. Still have red login background... I'll have to wait and see about waking from sleep after a few hours. Thanks for raising this thread to help check the issue, and thanks to @dosdude1 for sharing the script to help resolve at least one of the issues! In case I missed it in other threads, is there a way to resolve the red login background?
Yes, to resolve the red login screen issue, simply change your desktop background, and it will go away.

Reactions: mac79

Agentriegel

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
I was struggling with a 750TI in a MP3,1 on 10.13.6 for days. I installed the Nvidia drivers (387.10.10.10.40.105) and dosdude1's patch with SIP disabled and had these issues...then I did the same with SIP enabled. And I still had these issues. Then I tried older patched drivers...still issues. Finally I created a 16GB partition (booting to USB would hang at boot for me), I installed dosdude1's newest High Sierra Patcher with the newest install of High Sierra, and I re-installed High Sierra over my APFS OS install. After that everything was working 100%. The re-install took less than 30 minutes and all my settings and files remained intact. I assume the patch didn't work because I had other OS issues. I thought I'd share incase anyone else runs into similar issues. Thanks everyone for your help with this thread!

Reactions: crjackson2134

aaronlroberts

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
I was struggling with a 750TI in a MP3,1 on 10.13.6 for days. I installed the Nvidia drivers (387.10.10.10.40.105) and dosdude1's patch with SIP disabled and had these issues...then I did the same with SIP enabled. And I still had these issues. Then I tried older patched drivers...still issues. Finally I created a 16GB partition (booting to USB would hang at boot for me), I installed dosdude1's newest High Sierra Patcher with the newest install of High Sierra, and I re-installed High Sierra over my APFS OS install. After that everything was working 100%. The re-install took less than 30 minutes and all my settings and files remained intact. I assume the patch didn't work because I had other OS issues. I thought I'd share incase anyone else runs into similar issues. Thanks everyone for your help with this thread!

After updating to 10.13.6 I had a few issues, and this morning, the Mac wouldn't boot at all.. literally switched itself off when getting to the Apple logo (I assume the Apple logo, I cannot see).

I just tried fresh-installing the copy of 10.13.5 and I have the graphics issues again, even after running the script and installing the latest drivers for the GTX 750.. but now I'll try your method of re-downloading the already updated version of 10.13.6 and see if that fixes it.

@dosdude1 - Do you think there will be an easier way to do this? Or is the primary focus now on 10.14? If so, would it be possible to create an installer with cards like the 750ti in mind? Especially as I read in one of your tool descriptions, that 10.14 will not work with old ATI cards, but WILL work with Nvidia cards? Seems like this is the direction to head into?

Maybe have the tool download and compile the latest nVidia drivers as a part of a script during installation? Alternatively, maybe look at offering an option which is pre-compiled and can just be imaged via disk utility onto an empty hard disk?

aaronlroberts

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Cluj-Napoca, Romania

So, it seems the fix no longer works. After multiple different attempts and different "fixes" it seems that acceleration is dead again.

I did a complete fresh install of macOS onto the SSD, using the latest tool and installer of macOS. Installed with ATI acceleration initially (as otherwise there's no way to boot into the OS). Downloaded and installed nVidia drivers, rebooted.

GTX card is detected and working but without acceleration. Removed the ATI card entirely, ran the script, bunch of errors but wasn't sure if it's normal.

Rebooted, STILL no acceleration and graphics corruption like before. (Solid white dock etc).

Terminal output from script:

Last login: Tue Jul 31 13:10:35 on console
Aarons-Mac-Pro:~ alrphotography$ /Users/alrphotography/Downloads/amdgpupatchuninst10.13.4.sh
Downloading original kexts...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 25.8M 100 25.8M 0 0 4574k 0 0:00:05 0:00:05 --:--:-- 5961k
Archive: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts.zip
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAcceleratorFamily2
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/version.plist
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonX3000
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/PkgInfo
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/version.plist
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IOAccelerator2D
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/version.plist
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonX4000
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/PkgInfo
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/version.plist
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX4000SCLib.dylib
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/PkgInfo
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/version.plist
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX3000SCLib.dylib
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/cl_kernel.amd.pch
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/runtime.amdil.bc
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/cl_kernel.amd.dbl.fmath.pch
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/cl_kernel.amd.fmath.pch
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/cl_kernel.amd.dbl.pch
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Libraries/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Libraries/AMDil.dylib
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Libraries/libCLVMAMDilPlugin.dylib
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/PkgInfo
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/version.plist
caution: excluded filename not matched: __MACOSX/*
Copying kexts...
Password:
Setting permissions...
Rebuilding kextcache...
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7feaf2c413c0 [0x7fff9ca34af0]> { URL = "LegacyUSBInjector.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.parrotgeek.LegacyUSBInjector" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67050) allowed: <OSKext 0x7feaf0484180 [0x7fff9ca34af0]> { URL = "SIPManager.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.parrotgeek.SIPManager" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67050) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd8ddee9a40 [0x7fff9ca34af0]> { URL = "SIPManager.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.parrotgeek.SIPManager" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd8dde915c0 [0x7fff9ca34af0]> { URL = "LegacyUSBInjector.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.parrotgeek.LegacyUSBInjector" }
Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7fd8ddee9a40 [0x7fff9ca34af0]> { URL = "SIPManager.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.parrotgeek.SIPManager" }
kxld[com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb]: The super class vtable 'vtable for IOAccelEventMachineFast2' for vtable 'vtable for nvEventManager' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.
kxld[com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb]: The super class vtable 'vtable for IOAccelEventMachineFast2' for vtable 'vtable for nvEventManager' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.
Link failed (error code 5).
Prelink failed for com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb; omitting from prelinked kernel.
KernelCache ID: 3FDC00A1B4033337907BF8A778D33C59

Operation complete! Please restart your machine for changes to take effect.

Aarons-Mac-Pro:~ alrphotography$

I'm in desperate need of a solution, not just do I need to reinstall everything, but I have client's photos to work on and I cannot right now.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So, it seems the fix no longer works. After multiple different attempts and different "fixes" it seems that acceleration is dead again.

I did a complete fresh install of macOS onto the SSD, using the latest tool and installer of macOS. Installed with ATI acceleration initially (as otherwise there's no way to boot into the OS). Downloaded and installed nVidia drivers, rebooted.

GTX card is detected and working but without acceleration. Removed the ATI card entirely, ran the script, bunch of errors but wasn't sure if it's normal.

Rebooted, STILL no acceleration and graphics corruption like before. (Solid white dock etc).

Terminal output from script:

I'm in desperate need of a solution, not just do I need to reinstall everything, but I have client's photos to work on and I cannot right now.
Do you have another supported Mac to install High Sierra? If you install with a supported Mac, it's just two files that you have to change to boot on a 2008 Mac Pro, no other hacks/patches. I can help you with that.

aaronlroberts

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
@Agentriegel / @dosdude1 - So, managed to get this installation working only with 10.13.5. Fresh install of 10.13.5 allowed me to run the patch and remove the ATI card without a hitch. No acceleration problems.

@dosdude1 - I've included the terminal output below just in case you can build a new script to fix in future updates.

Last login: Tue Jul 31 04:11:19 on console
Aarons-Mac-Pro:~ alrphotography$ /Users/alrphotography/Desktop/amdgpupatchuninst10.13.4.sh
Downloading original kexts...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 25.8M 100 25.8M 0 0 3072k 0 0:00:08 0:00:08 --:--:-- 2883k
Archive: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts.zip
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAcceleratorFamily2
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext/Contents/version.plist
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonX3000
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/PkgInfo
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/version.plist
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IOAccelerator2D
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/IOAccelerator2D.plugin/Contents/version.plist
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonX4000
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/PkgInfo
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000.kext/Contents/version.plist
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX4000SCLib.dylib
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/PkgInfo
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/version.plist
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/_CodeSignature/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX3000SCLib.dylib
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/cl_kernel.amd.pch
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/runtime.amdil.bc
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/cl_kernel.amd.dbl.fmath.pch
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/cl_kernel.amd.fmath.pch
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Resources/cl_kernel.amd.dbl.pch
creating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Libraries/
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Libraries/AMDil.dylib
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Libraries/libCLVMAMDilPlugin.dylib
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/Info.plist
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/PkgInfo
inflating: /Users/alrphotography/10.13.4gfxkexts/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/version.plist
caution: excluded filename not matched: __MACOSX/*
Copying kexts...
Password:
Setting permissions...
Rebuilding kextcache...
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa971f8eb10 [0x7fff9c80faf0]> { URL = "LegacyUSBInjector.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.parrotgeek.LegacyUSBInjector" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67050) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa971eee4f0 [0x7fff9c80faf0]> { URL = "SIPManager.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.parrotgeek.SIPManager" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67050) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f9723ff8280 [0x7fff9c80faf0]> { URL = "SIPManager.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.parrotgeek.SIPManager" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f9723f9fa00 [0x7fff9c80faf0]> { URL = "LegacyUSBInjector.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.parrotgeek.LegacyUSBInjector" }
Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7f9723ff8280 [0x7fff9c80faf0]> { URL = "SIPManager.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.parrotgeek.SIPManager" }
KernelCache ID: 95C538B642332DD6B76ADF0D20AC994C

Operation complete! Please restart your machine for changes to take effect.

Aarons-Mac-Pro:~ alrphotography$

For the meantime, I'll avoid 10.13.5 until new updates are added
[doublepost=1533035995][/doublepost]
Do you have another supported Mac to install High Sierra? If you install with a supported Mac, it's just two files that you have to change to boot on a 2008 Mac Pro, no other hacks/patches. I can help you with that.
Technically I can boot into macOS 10.12 if needed as that's my "emergency" version in the event all goes bad. But right now, I've been messing with trying to get this working, as you'll see from my most recent post.

I would be keen to know what the solution is though, just in case I brave the update again :p

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Technically I can boot into macOS 10.12 if needed as that's my "emergency" version in the event all goes bad. But right now, I've been messing with trying to get this working, as you'll see from my most recent post.

I would be keen to know what the solution is though, just in case I brave the update again :p
If you can install 10.13.6 on a supported Mac, you just have to replace PlatformSupport.plist for the El Capitan version and add -no_compat_check to com.Apple.Boot.plist, like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-v -no_compat_check</string>
</dict>
</plist>

No more problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.