Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you been offered a replacement for your MacBook Pro (late 2016) TB?

• Yes, already got the replacement machine

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Yes, waiting for it

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • No, but my machine is at a repair center, waiting

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • No, I got it back repaired

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters

fikonhjul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Sweden
I'm looking in this forum and over att Apple's Discussions, trying to gauge the size of this.

I find a quite a few people who've got or are getting a replacement for their faulty new MacBook Pro (late 2016) -- or are still waiting for Apple's response after their computer's been declared to be beyond basic repair.

The causes seem to be severe problems with charging (not just short battery life), not waking from sleep and dead logic boards (or what seems to be).

But it's hard to get an overview of the extent, because people call these machines all kinds of things and sometimes it's not until deep down in a thread that the issue is resolved with a replacement.

So, please let me ask you...

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Wow, weird timing on this thread. I just spoke with a client who took his 13" 2.9/256GB Touch Bar Mac in for a faulty keyboard (one key not working). They're also giving him a new computer.

enzom21

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
Had a faulty sensor on mine. Was told it would be repaired, replacement logic board was back ordered, gave me the option for a new computer. All in all it took a month to get my laptop back.

dtrain035

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Within the first week of me having my 15" 2.7 w/460 (after waiting 7 weeks for the custom config), the hard drive crapped the bed. They were able to determine this over the phone. They emailed me a shipping label and told me to drop it off at FedEx. As soon as the box was scanned in at Fedex, Apple began building me a new one. I had the replacement in 2 weeks (where if I returned and reordered would have been 4-5 weeks).

fikonhjul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Sweden
Thanks for chiming in (and voting)! I have a feeling, based only on a few posts and my own sad experience, that issues were resolved with replacements more quickly up to recently, but newer cases take longer time for some reason.

My machine's logic board died after a month, and it's now 19 days and counting waiting for a proper response from Apple (other than "we'll get back to you"). Things are made worse by the fact that Apple's SSD data recovery tool isn't available at any Apple Store or authorised service partner in Sweden (my MacBook Pro died in the middle of a backup).

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Had a faulty sensor on mine. Was told it would be repaired, replacement logic board was back ordered, gave me the option for a new computer. All in all it took a month to get my laptop back.

Which sensor was faulty?

fikonhjul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Sweden
The fan sensor, made the fan run at full speed at all times.
Can't say it seems environmentally sound to swap whole computers for every little thing that brakes. Of course they're refurbished or recycled where feasible, but still...

enzom21

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
Can't say it seems environmentally sound to swap whole computers for every little thing that brakes. Of course they're refurbished or recycled where feasible, but still...
The whole logic board had to be replaced.

digitalm3

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
mine was just replaced due to problems with Bluetooth keeping anything connected, made worse as connections increased keyboard, trackpad, AirPods etc... I suspect it was the antenna but no way to know for sure since it was a return / reorder.

satirev

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
yup, charging issues here to the point where my machine went completely dead and wouldn't power back up, they had to do a logic board swap in my machine.

diegovega

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
Does Apple or anyone know why these touchbar macbook pros are frying? Is there some fix on the new logic boards that Apple is installing to prevent this from happening again in the near future? I don't even want to know the cost of replacing the logic board outside warranty.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Does Apple or anyone know why these touchbar macbook pros are frying? Is there some fix on the new logic boards that Apple is installing to prevent this from happening again in the near future? I don't even want to know the cost of replacing the logic board outside warranty.
I don't think anyone knows for certain, but I would gather information on what users were using their machines for when the problems arose and go from there.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Not at all common, probably caused by the same things as with other models.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Given Tim Cook's operations background, I am sure they are gathering data on each and every repair. And then using that in their formulations for costs, potential lose of sales, etc. to come up with the best course of action.

ETechMaster2002

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2016
The fan sensor, made the fan run at full speed at all times.
That's what happened with mine too. However, mine was not constant, my fans would go on at full speed at random times. They replaced my logic board, I/O board, Battery and both fans in mine. (So basically more than half of the computer got replaced.)

barmok

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Thanks for that poll it gives a good idea of what to expect from the repair shop, just started having the problem on one that I bought in December 2017 (faulty keys were U,R,O,I, Up and Space, once I get it back, I will definitely get Apple Care on it.

barmok

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
The authorized Apple repairer in my town order a new top case w/battery to repair my keyboard.

jonathanbruce

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
Hastings, East Sussex, England
Mine is in for repair. Screen initially was blank apart for 2mm at the top. Was told by authorised repairer the graphics needed replacing but then was told the logic board was also faulty, also after that the touch bar needed replacing.
I'm hoping someone could tell me if the 2017 models are an improvement in reliability over my 2016 15" i7. I might push AppleCare to exchange it for a newer one. I am at least protected by UK consumer Law as well as the guarantee and Apple Care.

AppleMD88

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
Quick backstory, last month I sent my late 2016 MBP 3 times and each time the logic board was replaced. Good news is I have been approved for a replacement. They said I have to ship the defective device and they will send me the new one. I just want to know if its just the computer itself or the computer I will be receiving be like new in the box just like if I were to purchase it at the Apple Store? Thanks everyone!

camladje

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
Quick backstory, last month I sent my late 2016 MBP 3 times and each time the logic board was replaced. Good news is I have been approved for a replacement. They said I have to ship the defective device and they will send me the new one. I just want to know if its just the computer itself or the computer I will be receiving be like new in the box just like if I were to purchase it at the Apple Store? Thanks everyone!
what was the problem going on with your MBP? and did they give you give you a new late 2016 MBP or a new 2017 MBP

audiomatt

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
I just had to return mine. Space bar crapped out. Considering returning the 2017 I got in its place just to get away from the touchbar.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I got Apple Care for my 2016 only to safeguard myself against any potential major expenses. Either way, Apple gets to pocket more money. This isn't good.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.