Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you been offered a replacement for your MacBook Pro (late 2016) TB?

• Yes, already got the replacement machine

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Yes, waiting for it

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • No, but my machine is at a repair center, waiting

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • No, I got it back repaired

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters

audiomatt

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
The units are considered vintage after 5 years I think. Then getting parts becomes tougher and tougher.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I didn't cast my vote because I have (had) the 2016 nTB model. That said I did have to return it 3x already due to a defective keyboard. The second and third time occurred within a few days because for some reasons Apple refused to replace the top case this second time and only "reseated some keycaps" and "ran the hardware test". Thus, I had to send it back again immediately because - surprise surprise, who would've thought - reseating keycaps and running the hardware test isn't going to magically fix defective butterfly switches.

Other than the keyboard my 2016 nTB was perfect. No screen issues, no logicboard issues, nothing. If only it weren't for the keyboard I would've probably kept it but that PoS is going back (still fighting with Apple to take it back) or getting sold off as soon as it's fixed.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
My non TB was replaced. 3x Keyboard issues and 1x USB-C port too loose.

Offered a new computer, 2017. Much better overall.

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I’ve had the whole bottom case (including hard drive and battery) replaced due to faulty keys... twice now. Not a fan of the new butterfly mechanism, at all.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Yes my 2016 TB MBP was replaced. I got in Jan 2017 & in June 2017 it just stopped charging and would not turn back on and apple care took it back and sent me a 2017 TB MBP.

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Lame my 2016 top case has been replaced twice now and not offered a 2017 model that is devoid of the problem. Out of warranty now

Reactions: djgcue

Lamus

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2018
Two months out of warranty and logic board failed. The computer wouldn't take power and battery eventually died never to boot again. $800 repair.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
Not the whole machine, but I had the whole top case replaced due to a faulty keybboard. Last month of warranty, tried to live with the issue but couldn't ignore it anymore, gave up and sent it back.

On the positive side, in 3 working days it was fixed and I got an upgrade to the 2017 keyboard + a new battery.
On the negative side, I'm now out of warranty with no guarantee that the issue won't pop up again eventually

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Just had the top case replaced yet again. So, three keyboard failures and three top case replacements in a 9 month period. I didn’t get the 2017 version like some of you lucky folks did. Now out of warranty. smdh

Reactions: macintoshmac

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
I'm looking in this forum and over att Apple's Discussions, trying to gauge the size of this.

I find a quite a few people who've got or are getting a replacement for their faulty new MacBook Pro (late 2016) -- or are still waiting for Apple's response after their computer's been declared to be beyond basic repair.

The causes seem to be severe problems with charging (not just short battery life), not waking from sleep and dead logic boards (or what seems to be).

But it's hard to get an overview of the extent, because people call these machines all kinds of things and sometimes it's not until deep down in a thread that the issue is resolved with a replacement.

So, please let me ask you...

This is so silly to me. The touch bar is a nothing burger to begin with, and now people are having to get them replaced. It's not funny for the folks who need the thing repaired but, it's funny to me that something so unnecessary could become complicated. Technology tripping over itself. Always best to keep things simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.