Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has 10.11.5 solved the 10.11.4 freeze?

• Yes

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • No

Votes: 29 47.5%

• Total voters

Dr. James

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Ecuador
In this thread, we discussed how 10.11.4 brought a bug that made our Macs freeze. For some people, 10.11.5 has solved this issue; for some, it has not. If you had this problem, please vote to see what the general consensus is.

Reactions: grahamperrin

maxnik

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2016
NH
No.
MacBook Air - 13 inch. 513 SSD. Freezes after about usually 5 mins - every time. Mouse pointer moves but does not respond to clicks and keyboard input. Freezing started with 10.11.4.

Dr. James

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Ecuador
No.
MacBook Air - 13 inch. 513 SSD. Freezes after about usually 5 mins - every time. Mouse pointer moves but does not respond to clicks and keyboard input. Freezing started with 10.11.4.
That's a different freeze than the one discussed originally. I suggest you to check your hardware.

ipruch

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2016
No. Although with the previous OS X version (10.11.4) freezes were very sporadic (1-3 in a month) I only experienced a freeze like these with my old MacBook (the first aluminum one, unibody, late 2008) which I used in more than 7 years.

rMBP early 2015, 13 inch. OS X 10.11.5. As with the previous version, freezes are still happening in a very sporadic frequency (2 since the update), and I use it everyday for a lot of time (work and entertainment). External 1080p screen connected and using both simultaneously. I use Safari every day, and visit youtube frequently. Also have Flash installed. I remember that one of the freezes happened while playing a youtube video, but I'm not sure if this is totally related as a lot of people stated in the other thread (safari/youtube causing almost all the freezes).

Freeze = The image on screen freezes (including the mouse), but I can hear everything working (the audio of a video, or a video call, etc.). It never returns back to normal, so I need to force it to turn off by holding the power key for some seconds.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… image on screen freezes (including the mouse), but I can hear everything working (the audio of a video, or a video call, etc.). … need to force it to turn off …

Before that force: you can use the key chord for sysdiagnose and wait a reasonable period for the sysdiagnose routine to progress as far as possible. With the frozen image you'll not get the end result brought to front by Finder, but you may find the end result (or partial results) after the next start of the Mac. See http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/87982/8546

Reactions: 997440 and ipruch

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
Still happening on our MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 (15F34). It happens less often with 10.11.5. Usually happens watching youtube videos in Safari. If you let it keep running it will clear for a little while. It seems a combination of things occur -- WindowServer is called out in the Console reports with accompanying spin dumps and, on occasion, a GPU reset.

Reactions: m4d345D

413x3

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
@robnbill:
It is obviously a problem with Safari and how it uses hardware acceleration. Safari creates probably invalid commands for the GPU, which forces a GPU reset.
I am having the same freezing problem and have since 10.4. but I use Firefox.

I unchecked use hardware acceleration days ago, and the freezing continues :(

It usually starts after a couple hours, and after bringing the mb air out from sleep.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… obviously a problem with Safari …

… Firefox …

It's extremely rare for an .app alone to cause a kernel panic or (as in this topic) an operating system that runs but no longer updates what's displayed.

sysdiagnose (above) is your friend. If it's new to you, don't expect to understand the relevant parts of what's gathered but if you find and share the relevant parts, someone may be able to recognise the causes of problems.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
@robnbill:
It is obviously a problem with Safari and how it uses hardware acceleration. Safari creates probably invalid commands for the GPU, which forces a GPU reset.

It happens with other browsers such as Chrome. I think HTML5 / H.264 is the culprit here. Currently Chrome defaults to Flash when available and uses H.265 as needed. This probably why problems are not as apparent for Chrome users. I believe those who run Safari fleshless will see these issues more frequently

Putting the system to sleep and resuming operations adds to the effect seemingly making it more apparent.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I used to have the odd freeze.
Flash installed = yes.
Safari running at the time = No.
Cursor responsive = Yes.
Mouse clicks = No.

After 30 or so seconds all would be back to normal and the result of 10 or so mouse clicks whilst I wondered what was happening would all suddenly happen in very quick succession.
In system logs, absolutely nothing.

Not had a single one since x.x.5 though.

EBurden

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2016
Powell River, BC, Canada
older mid-2010 17" Macbook Pro
Don't run Safari.
Updated to 10.11.5 about an hour ago to try to solve issue.

First freeze 20 minutes later. First time computer "wakes" from sleep. Only time it happens to me. Waking computer. Screen freezes, but mouse still moves. slowly. Then a few seconds later mouse disappears. Display sometimes goes wierd. dock goes to transparent squares. desktop image breaks up into panels.

Can not do anything but hold power button to turn off. Fun. wow.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Don't run Safari.

First freeze 20 minutes later. First time computer "wakes" from sleep. Only time it happens to me. Waking computer. Screen freezes, but mouse still moves. slowly. Then a few seconds later mouse disappears. Display sometimes goes wierd. dock goes to transparent squares. desktop image breaks up into panels.
That is the 2010 dGPU problem.

Dr. James

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Ecuador
Don't run Safari.

Can not do anything but hold power button to turn off. Fun. wow.

Different issue, go to an Apple Store.

jefftsai

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2016
Yes, I'm using late 2015 iMac 27 inch
Still freezes from 10.11.4
Happens when I'm watching videos either on YouTube using chrome or iTunes and QuickTime, sometimes randomly.
When it freezes my whole iMac goes unresponsive, cursor doesn't move, nothing moves and after around 30 seconds it'll restart itself. It also happens when it's left idle for a period of time.

EBurden

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2016
Powell River, BC, Canada
You can use the key chord for sysdiagnose.

I apologize for my ignorance. I've never heard of "sysdiagnose.
(The command-line utility sysdiagnose can be triggered by pressing Cmd+Opt+Ctrl+Shift+Period)

Thank you. I will try it next freeze...which will probably be pretty soon.

ernie
[doublepost=1465417660][/doublepost]
Different issue, go to an Apple Store.

I assume the "go to an apple store" refers to me running an older machine. Thank you for your thought. No. My old 17" powerbook works just fine, or at least it did until this latest update.

But thanks again for your warm welcome to macrumours.

Reactions: grahamperrin

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
I assume the "go to an apple store" refers to me running an older machine. Thank you for your thought. No. My old 17" powerbook works just fine, or at least it did until this latest update.

But thanks again for your warm welcome to macrumours.

"Go to an Apple Store" means go get it checked out at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. Not go buy a new machine.

Welcome to MacRumors : )

413x3

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
It happens with other browsers such as Chrome. I think HTML5 / H.264 is the culprit here. Currently Chrome defaults to Flash when available and uses H.265 as needed. This probably why problems are not as apparent for Chrome users. I believe those who run Safari fleshless will see these issues more frequently

Putting the system to sleep and resuming operations adds to the effect seemingly making it more apparent.
I had not thought of that, I set Flash only to run after being prompted but HTML5 will run by default. I will try it the other way around and enable flash always first.

EBurden

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2016
Powell River, BC, Canada
"Go to an Apple Store" means go get it checked out at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store. Not go buy a new machine.

Welcome to MacRumors : )

Thanks! Never visited the Genius bar, well only the one in San Fran, because I wanted to go into the store for a look around. Tourists! For the most part I've been able to troubleshoot my Mac stuff ever since my first, used, Mac IIfx back in the mid 90's. But they have gotten a bit more complex. I miss networking with phone wire some days...
Today I'm trying turning "computer sleep" to 3hrs, which just covered my 2 hours out of the office successfully. Came back and computer woke from "display sleep" and were chugging along again.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.