Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has 10.11.5 solved the 10.11.4 freeze?

• Yes

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • No

Votes: 29 47.5%

• Total voters

nanosour

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
This is a frustrating problem. I have a 2010 27" iMac 3.06 GHz computer that I upgraded to 10.11.5 from 10.8.5 about 2 weeks ago. Since then I get the freeze about once a day. Mouse cursor moves but nothing else. Requires a hard shutdown to get the computer back up again. I stayed away from Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan to avoid having to upgrade my Parallels app. Wish I'd stayed on Mt Lion cause this sucks :(

Menzic69

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2016
I am sick of this continuing bug, been a user of Macs and other Apple technologies for years but the disruption of having to hardboot randomly and lose work is just not funny. The old saying that they 'just work' is no longer true for OSX. Giving it yet another 2 months, if there is no fix by then I am ditching everything and going for another platform.

nanosour

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
I am sick of this continuing bug, been a user of Macs and other Apple technologies for years but the disruption of having to hardboot randomly and lose work is just not funny. The old saying that they 'just work' is no longer true for OSX. Giving it yet another 2 months, if there is no fix by then I am ditching everything and going for another platform.

Feeling the same way. I upgraded from 10.8.5 and now can't get back to it since I my Time Machine backup is from El Capitan. I believe I'll lose quite a bit of functionality (mail, etc) if I try to restore from TM. My 6 year old iMac was working fine with Mt Lion, but a thought I'd give El Capitan a chance since I didn't need Parallels anymore. What a mistake. iMac won't even boot now and I'm restoring 10.11.5 from my latest TM backup.

After 11 years in the Apple ecosystem, may be time to switch back :(

Diemenz

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
This bug has bothered the living hell out of me as well, it went from non existent to happening every single time I opened the lid of the laptop.

Now I am scared I might jinx this but I did a change after reading a few of the logs and I have been freeze free for two days now. I went from 8-10 freezes a day to zero.

What I changed:
Went into settings, then Users and Groups.
Changed login options to LIST OF USERS, unchecked everything on that page then disabled the guest account.

I might be lucky and my system just figured it out or it might have been login issues which is what the system logs lead me to believe.

nanosour

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
Update…my 27" iMac was purchased in Mar 2010. It is the 3.06 GHz model with 4 GB or ram. I installed Snow Leopard (10.6.2) on the computer from the original disk that came with the computer. Then did the update to 10.6.8 before downloading and installing a fresh copy of El Capitan (10.11.5) from the App Store. I then did a migration of data from my Time Machine back up.

The system was freeze free for 3 days and just froze up on me again. Only the mouse cursor moves about the screen. I had Numbers, Mail, and Safari running and I was searching the web at the time of the freeze. I had just opened this page when the freeze occurred not allowing me to click on any of the link on the webpage.

https://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers-and-visitors/airport-services-en/site-plans

Nothing unusual about the webpage.

I guess I'm just going to have to wait for Sierra and hope for the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.