Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PamelaGirl80

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2019
Thanks you so so much for the feedback with your real life experience, much appreciated.

Wow, look at that Amazon $18 price tag, I'm jumping on that right now!
After all these years looks like I will be moving forward with installing the additional 8GB on my MacBook Pro 6,1

Thank you All :)

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Thanks you so so much for the feedback with your real life experience, much appreciated.

Wow, look at that Amazon $18 price tag, I'm jumping on that right now!
After all these years looks like I will be moving forward with installing the additional 8GB on my MacBook Pro 6,1

Thank you All :)
OWC reports that

"MacBookPro7,1 supports up to 16GB total memory(maximum 8GB per slot). Other models listed only support up to 8GB total memory (maximum 4GB per slot)."

It may or may not work. If it boots, declare victory. If you get three beeps followed by silence then another three (sometimes a single long beep), that's incompatible RAM.

I hope this works for you. Let us know.

PamelaGirl80

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2019
OWC reports that

"MacBookPro7,1 supports up to 16GB total memory(maximum 8GB per slot). Other models listed only support up to 8GB total memory (maximum 4GB per slot)."

It may or may not work. If it boots, declare victory. If you get three beeps followed by silence then another three (sometimes a single long beep), that's incompatible RAM.

I hope this works for you. Let us know.
Hello Everyone,

Here is my update with having received the 16GB of memory from the Amazon link that was provided. Sadly it did not work. The computer would not boot up. It would startup and I was able to select any one of the three startup partitions but it would hang from there. As soon as I put back the original memory it started right up without an issue.

Maybe I should give the memory from OWC a try?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Hello Everyone,

Here is my update with having received the 16GB of memory from the Amazon link that was provided. Sadly it did not work. The computer would not boot up. It would startup and I was able to select any one of the three startup partitions but it would hang from there. As soon as I put back the original memory it started right up without an issue.

Maybe I should give the memory from OWC a try?

You posted that you have a MBP 6.1. I quoted OWC's statement: "MacBookPro 7,1 supports up to 16GB total memory(maximum 8GB per slot). Other models listed only support up to 8GB total memory (maximum 4GB per slot)."

Despite other posts that Apple is always wrong on this and other such nonsense, perhaps it's time to believe that the official statements are indeed correct.

At least if you're a Prime member, Amazon does not charge for return shipping and doesn't have a re-stocking charge. Neither are true for OWC unless the RAM is defective, then they are great.

PamelaGirl80

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2019
You posted that you have a MBP 6.1. I quoted OWC's statement: "MacBookPro 7,1 supports up to 16GB total memory(maximum 8GB per slot). Other models listed only support up to 8GB total memory (maximum 4GB per slot)."

Despite other posts that Apple is always wrong on this and other such nonsense, perhaps it's time to believe that the official statements are indeed correct.

At least if you're a Prime member, Amazon does not charge for return shipping and doesn't have a re-stocking charge. Neither are true for OWC unless the RAM is defective, then they are great.
No doubt.
I thought for sure reading over the years that some owners of a MBP 6.1 had success with installing 16GB.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
No doubt.
I thought for sure reading over the years that some owners of a MBP 6.1 had success with installing 16GB.
Dreams, wishes, misunderstandings and armchair expert speculation as far as I can tell, unfortunately.

I still service a boatload of 2012 MacBook Pros. Apparently, being the last Mac portables with built-in Superdrives, they were really popular among the schools I used to administer and many users won't give them up 12 years later. Many in my large family own them as well and I have a pair for my own use. Those can run 16GB RAM. Any earlier, gotta be a 7.1.

PamelaGirl80

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2019
Dreams, wishes, misunderstandings and armchair expert speculation as far as I can tell, unfortunately.

I still service a boatload of 2012 MacBook Pros. Apparently, being the last Mac portables with built-in Superdrives, they were really popular among the schools I used to administer and many users won't give them up 12 years later. Many in my large family own them as well and I have a pair for my own use. Those can run 16GB RAM. Any earlier, gotta be a 7.1.
I feel ya.
I will be holding onto these two MacBooks for awhile. I really like the large screen and all the optional ports.

I very much appreciate all the help and support from the Good People on this forum.
One MacBook Pro with 16GB and the other with 8GB. Probably will now put my attention on something else since its time to put the memory upgrade to rest.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.